Whats this? A powerstroke? - Page 23 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Ford Snapshots & Videos Share Ford photos and videos not related to the Ford Ranger in this sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #551  
Old 12-01-2010
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
All our 6.4's where traded in for 6.7's, but we never had a problem with them, we where putting a 1,000 miles a week on them and they run from when we leave in the morning until we would get home 14 hours later. We have one 6.0 left and like the boss said its the best truck hes owed never do anything to it other than change the oil really, it has close to 300k on it. Every vehicle has its problems...
Reply With Quote
  #552  
Old 12-01-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEDGE View Post
I tend to agree here. The more I read about the 6.0 the more I think the bulk of its problems come from ignorance. I'm confident that the 6.4 is no different. There are certain things that need monitored on these engines that the average powerstroke owner has no clue about. Address the coolant and oil cooler issue and monitor the ECT/EOT and the 6.0's longevity is no worse than the 7.3.
you are exactly right.

gassers are more forgiving on maintenance, diesels not so much, they used to be but now they require more and run more efficient with higher power as well.
Reply With Quote
  #553  
Old 12-01-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt View Post
those all cost more than the one he has, furthermore id be buying a dmax or cummins or hell even an 05-07 6.0 instead of another pos 6.4
You really don't know what you're talking about do you?
Reply With Quote
  #554  
Old 12-01-2010
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
how so? I was pretty sure he picked up his truck for less than the trucks listed .... ok so i screwed up cause i didnt take his trade in into account

and yes, if i had that much trouble with a 6.4 diesel and was in the market for another 3/4 ton truck, i wouldnt buy one with that engine again.
Reply With Quote
  #555  
Old 12-01-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
I kind of wish I had drove a dodge, or a v8/v10 Ford 3/4ton but I didnt. I really just drove 2, a 6.0 and a 6.4. I disliked the 6.0 because the steering wasnt tight and the interior seemed ancient to me after owning a 2005 F150, I had to settle for a 08 or newer. My mind was already set on Ford though. I am just a diehard. :)
Reply With Quote
  #556  
Old 12-01-2010
KLC's Avatar
KLC KLC is offline
RF Veteran
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 13,115
I hate the V10's. They are horrible for towing, and are gas guzzlers. The 6.7L Cummins are nice. I have right at 30,000 miles on one with zero issues.
Reply With Quote
  #557  
Old 12-01-2010
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
v10s kill gas i agree, but arent terrible, the fleet at my old work had an 04 f350 v10 crew dually, and other than an oil leak and dead battery, in the 2 years i worked there those were the only times i recall it being in the shop

the f450 2010 crew 6.4 on the other hand was at the ford dealer ALL the time for warranty work ... i think theyve had to take the cab off the chassis 3 times now
Reply With Quote
  #558  
Old 12-01-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
just 3 times? thats nothing!
Reply With Quote
  #559  
Old 12-01-2010
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
2001 f250 5.4 liter with 218k miles on it now... new iac valve, 1 coil, new spark plugs, oil changes, and an occasional air filter... 3 transmissions(it tows 5-7k lbs every day)...

edit: it still has the original belt on it!
Reply With Quote
  #560  
Old 12-01-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
which is why I should have bought a gasser... ha
Reply With Quote
  #561  
Old 12-01-2010
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
which is why I should have bought a gasser... ha
;-)
Reply With Quote
  #562  
Old 12-01-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT View Post
2001 f250 5.4 liter with 218k miles on it now... new iac valve, 1 coil, new spark plugs, oil changes, and an occasional air filter... 3 transmissions(it tows 5-7k lbs every day)...

edit: it still has the original belt on it!
Secretary at work has a 5.4 in a f-150, 350K on it. The only thing they've ever had to do (with the engine itself) with it are the coil packs and normal maint.
Reply With Quote
  #563  
Old 12-02-2010
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
lol
Reply With Quote
  #564  
Old 12-02-2010
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
IDK why you say you should have got a gas truck now. I think diesels are gay, except for towing, which is what you'll be doing with yours much more often when the trucks done. I think when you get everything worked out and the ranger done and start towing it places youll be much happier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolsmojave3 View Post
Secretary at work has a 5.4 in a f-150, 350K on it. The only thing they've ever had to do (with the engine itself) with it are the coil packs and normal maint.
good story
Reply With Quote
  #565  
Old 12-02-2010
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
good point but he talks about the gas truck cause less stuff breaks despite the poorer fuel economy.
Reply With Quote
  #566  
Old 12-02-2010
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt View Post
good point but he talks about the gas truck cause less stuff breaks despite the poorer fuel economy.
diesels dont get any better fuel mileage than a gasser... consider the cost difference of the fuel and the maintainence... gasser is better all the way around. plus a gasser doesnt stink like a nasty grease burning diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #567  
Old 12-02-2010
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT View Post
diesels dont get any better fuel mileage than a gasser... consider the cost difference of the fuel and the maintainence... gasser is better all the way around. plus a gasser doesnt stink like a nasty grease burning diesel.
Thats not all true. Towing wise a diesel will get ALOT better mileage. My friend david who races (pulls a 20-25 foot enclosed trailer with a race quad and gear) said they would get 6-8 MPG with the gasser and it sounded like it wanted to blow in the mountains.

Diesel gets around 11-12 and just peers like a kitten.
Reply With Quote
  #568  
Old 12-02-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
daily driving the gas is a better option. towing all the time diesel is. you just need to weigh out your usage and choose the right one. for me even if i tow every weekend the cost of a diesel will never pay off. not like i initially expected.

I got 13mpg pulling 12000lbs through the mountains in the F250. My F150 got 6 pulling through the exact same route with 8k lbs. Both with tuners and both with stock sized tires. The F250 even pulled a gooseneck which put my ranger 2 feet higher in the air causing more wind drag.

figure every weekend i travel 100 miles towing. 13 mpg diesel, 6 mpg gas. (rough numbers and assuming both are paid off and both are only used for thatreason only. so 100 miles a week) 5200 a year. both require oil changes at 5k. diesel need fuel additive, and diesel needs fuel filters changed at 10k

Gallons used in that distance

8 diesel
17 gas

3.20 for diesel puts me $25.60 (yearly is $1331.2) + 42$ in fuel additives for the year ($1343.20)
2.80 for gas puts me $47.60 (yearly is $2475.20)

oil change 25$ for gas $85 diesel

fuel filters diesel $100

1343.20 + 85 = $1418.20 diesel for every 5200 miles
2475.20 + 25 = $2475.20 gas for every 5200 miles


Now lets figure this for Daily Driving no towing.

Gas 16 mpg
Diesel 14 mpg

100 miles a week, 5200 a year

gas uses 6.25 gallons a week costing $17.50 for gas at 2.80 a gallon
diesel uses 7.14 gallons a week costing $22.85 for diesel at 3.20 a gallon

Gas 17.50 times 52(weeks a year) = $910
Diesel 22.85 times 52 weeks a year = $1188.2

I wont figrue it much more I probably made a mistake but I dont think the diesel will pay off in the long run because of maintenance to the general user. If you tow constantly and a heavy amount of weight it will pay off over time.

Last edited by zabeard; 12-02-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #569  
Old 12-02-2010
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
How did you get 16mpg in the fiddy? I only get 13 and I have the 4.6L. FML
Reply With Quote
  #570  
Old 12-02-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I get 15+ average in mine with 35s lol
Reply With Quote
  #571  
Old 12-02-2010
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
I do all city driving just about so maybe thats why.
Reply With Quote
  #572  
Old 12-02-2010
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
power to weight ratio makes a difference in mpg as well.
Reply With Quote
  #573  
Old 12-02-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
Yeah next time I need to rotate my tires I'm just gonna buy a new truck
HAHAHAHAHA That's like the idiots at school who buy a new car every time they have to get new tires or get news brakes. "Oh, I need to get rid of it now before it starts nickle and dimming me with maintenance." How the hell is new tires maintenance? They crack me up.
Reply With Quote
  #574  
Old 12-02-2010
brianjwilson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
power to weight ratio makes a difference in mpg as well.
I was going to say that as well. The 4.6 is just a dog in such a heavy truck, it has to work a lot harder, especially around town.

I don't get 15mpg in my F150 with 35s, but I've been running a performance tune ever since I got it too. Average is 12-13mpg but I pass a LOT (people here suck at driving) and drive a lot in town. I can get 14mpg or a little better highway only even with the tune and 4.56 gears.

Stock I was probably able to do 15-16mpg but I didn't have it stock long enough to keep track.
Reply With Quote
  #575  
Old 12-02-2010
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
daily driving the gas is a better option. towing all the time diesel is. you just need to weigh out your usage and choose the right one. for me even if i tow every weekend the cost of a diesel will never pay off. not like i initially expected.

I got 13mpg pulling 12000lbs through the mountains in the F250. My F150 got 6 pulling through the exact same route with 8k lbs. Both with tuners and both with stock sized tires. The F250 even pulled a gooseneck which put my ranger 2 feet higher in the air causing more wind drag.

figure every weekend i travel 100 miles towing. 13 mpg diesel, 6 mpg gas. (rough numbers and assuming both are paid off and both are only used for thatreason only. so 100 miles a week) 5200 a year. both require oil changes at 5k. diesel need fuel additive, and diesel needs fuel filters changed at 10k

Gallons used in that distance

8 diesel
17 gas

3.20 for diesel puts me $25.60 (yearly is $1331.2) + 42$ in fuel additives for the year ($1343.20)
2.80 for gas puts me $47.60 (yearly is $2475.20)

oil change 25$ for gas $85 diesel

fuel filters diesel $100

1343.20 + 85 = $1418.20 diesel for every 5200 miles
2475.20 + 25 = $2475.20 gas for every 5200 miles


Now lets figure this for Daily Driving no towing.

Gas 16 mpg
Diesel 14 mpg

100 miles a week, 5200 a year

gas uses 6.25 gallons a week costing $17.50 for gas at 2.80 a gallon
diesel uses 7.14 gallons a week costing $22.85 for diesel at 3.20 a gallon

Gas 17.50 times 52(weeks a year) = $910
Diesel 22.85 times 52 weeks a year = $1188.2

I wont figrue it much more I probably made a mistake but I dont think the diesel will pay off in the long run because of maintenance to the general user. If you tow constantly and a heavy amount of weight it will pay off over time.

and thats only IF nothing breaks on either of the two. the initial cost difference of the two trucks should be considered as well. I know u said assuming they are paid off, but u still gotta consider what they cost from the get go, property tax, and so forth...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6.0 Powerstroke in a ranger Diesel Ranger 8-Cylinder Tech 1393 02-27-2016 06:21 AM
Does anyone know the MPGs on an F250 powerstroke turbo diesel JaxRanger General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 07-26-2008 07:11 PM
'86 F-350 w/powerstroke! Plausible? HAZZARDJOHN New Ideas 28 04-21-2006 10:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.