The whole reason I bought my Superduty... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Ford Snapshots & Videos Share Ford photos and videos not related to the Ford Ranger in this sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 06-02-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by xp1ik99 View Post
blowing smoke isnt really a good thing........


love your trucks man, eventually ill have something like that going on........eventually
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
I looked it up and I couldn't figure out exactly what is required as there are 2 numbers circulating but one was it has to be under 26001 lbs (which you are) and the other is if the trailer weighs more then 10,000 lbs, then you need a class A license (aka 'cdl')

I looked it up once because I drove a friends f350 dually with a 3car trailer and 3 cars on it, and was curious if I needed a class A to drive it.

Id look it up though with your states laws
i probably should but i am not going to worry about it at this point. only 12 days left before we leave no way i could get all that sorted out in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theelcaminoman View Post
Wow lots of comments lol. I drove my brothers Cummins 3500 to prom and he didnt care what I did or how I drove it just as long as I watched one gauge out of 6: the pyrometer. It had a piece of tape on it at 1250* and he said dont let it go past that for very long lol. I learned at 40 lbs of boost, it climed like a rocket real fast. Its got tons of work to it, needless to say. Itll blow smoke for as long as you have your foot in it. Ever since then, Iv wanted a diesel. Can anyone say Cummins swap?
You planned on doin some work to yours?
lol 1250 is nothing on a 6.4 more like 1850-2000 is where you want to worry about it. its already tuned. I dont really want to do any more to it than an intake and traction bars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Technically, he should have a CDL to drive it. its a truck pulling a trailer with over 10,000 GVWR. (i think). i know my Chauffeurs license is good to drive anything (truck and trailer) up to 10,000 GVWR.

but anyways, lookin good, thats gonna be a long trip. Any worries with the trailer?
ive never heard about the 10k GVWR? Im not too concerned about the trailer, it hauls 15-18k pretty regularly.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-02-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger024x4 View Post
Id look it up though with your states laws
Or just drive it and not worry about it
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-02-2011
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
This one was probably already answered in another thread, but who's Jeep?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-02-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX103 View Post
This one was probably already answered in another thread, but who's Jeep?
Mine
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-02-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX103 View Post
This one was probably already answered in another thread, but who's Jeep?
Josh's

EDIT: Too slow
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-02-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Why does everyone think that blowin smoke is a bad thing?! If you do anything more than an intake on a diesel, it blows smoke! It means it has power. Its not like a gas engine where if it blows any color of smoke at all, then its got problems. I have yet to see a diesel engine with an exhaust and tuner that wont blow smoke. Put bigger injectors and youve got a smoke screen
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-02-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelcaminoman View Post
Why does everyone think that blowin smoke is a bad thing?! If you do anything more than an intake on a diesel, it blows smoke! It means it has power. Its not like a gas engine where if it blows any color of smoke at all, then its got problems. I have yet to see a diesel engine with an exhaust and tuner that wont blow smoke. Put bigger injectors and youve got a smoke screen
Whiles its kind of cool to blow smoke sometimes most people do it too much.
Whiles your right 90% of the time you will blow smoke with a chip and more with injectors and stuff but it can be tuned out. All smoke is raw fuel that is not being burnt. So really its just wasteful. Smoke dosen't really hurt the performance so I don't think 90% of the people really care to take the time to tune it out.

Give me some time to search and I will post some videos of smokeless powerhouses.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-02-2011
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
I wouldn't worry about the whole commercial driver license thing, in ND its: 26,001 pounds GVWR; may tow vehicles not in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Never been bothered about being over weight they don't really bother anyone unless you are in a commercial vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-02-2011
94powerranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: AMELIA OH
Posts: 112
smokes always a good thing!!!
all that black smoke does mean more power but to much and its honestly just a big waste and all that smoke isnt the best for a stock turbo
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-02-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
You don't have to blow smoke to have power, lots of diesels are built up and don't blow smoke.

Most people that blow smoke are just a**holes anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-02-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
Thread Starter
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
I only like smoke when i want it. Otherwise its fine with me if it burns clean. Mine burns pretty clean.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-02-2011
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Smoke isn't always good. You're wasting fuel with all that smoke. While it is fun sometimes it gives the EPA a good reason to put tighter restrictions on diesels.

Most custom tuners write smoke free tunes now-a-days anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-02-2011
russian's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 574
Awesome truck man. Zach whats your opinion on cummins?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-02-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Well you guys are mostly right about blowing smoke is kinda pointless but looks coll as hell!
And if you have a 90+ mm turbo like my brothers Cummins, it can handle that extra fuel.
And lastly, have you EVER seen a built pulling truck not blow smoke? Theres a reason for that. More fuel = more power whether you burn it or not. That means you have fuel to burn meaning youll never run a lean code lol
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-02-2011
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelcaminoman View Post
Well you guys are mostly right about blowing smoke is kinda pointless but looks coll as hell!
And if you have a 90+ mm turbo like my brothers Cummins, it can handle that extra fuel.
And lastly, have you EVER seen a built pulling truck not blow smoke? Theres a reason for that. More fuel = more power whether you burn it or not. That means you have fuel to burn meaning youll never run a lean code lol
90+mm? are you kidding me? I'm not saying impossible but i am calling BS. Maybe a 60mm single. But not a damn 90mm unless he has nitrous to spool the thing. The turbo would never light and the truck would drive like ****.

Second, Smoke does not mean power. Zach's truck with 310 tune or 350 tune will run pretty much smoke free and have 500+ horsepower at the rear wheels and this is a proven fact. Thats one fuel only, no nitrous.

A pulling truck smokes like a train because they are under a load. Yes they hve big power, but they are also pulling a load. Watch a diesel drag race. It smokes on the line because it is being held back while spooling the turbo, Down the track it clears up unless its overfueled.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-02-2011
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian View Post
Awesome truck man. Zach whats your opinion on cummins?
Cummins are very great and reliable engines. They are cheap to get power out of compared to the others. I dont like the dodge truck though. We have them as company trucks. The cab (minus megacabs) are small and uncomfortable. They just dont last to the abuse. The engines though are great.

All in all, all the engines have their strong and weak points.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-03-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf3c_...layer_embedded

I cant find the pulling video of a white cummins blow zero smoke but I have the next best thing. This truck runs 10s now and for the most part is smokeless
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-03-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XLTOffroad View Post
90+mm? are you kidding me? I'm not saying impossible but i am calling BS. Maybe a 60mm single. But not a damn 90mm unless he has nitrous to spool the thing. The turbo would never light and the truck would drive like ****.

Second, Smoke does not mean power. Zach's truck with 310 tune or 350 tune will run pretty much smoke free and have 500+ horsepower at the rear wheels and this is a proven fact. Thats one fuel only, no nitrous.

A pulling truck smokes like a train because they are under a load. Yes they hve big power, but they are also pulling a load. Watch a diesel drag race. It smokes on the line because it is being held back while spooling the turbo, Down the track it clears up unless its overfueled.
Ill have to ask him what size his turbo is. And you say "smoke like a train", why do trains blow smoke lol.
And anytime you put your foot into any engine, its under load, thus should blow smoke if built, whether a pulling truck or not.
My brothers friend has a procharged Cummins and his is impossible not to blow smoke under any load and its pushing 900 horses and was built by a reputible shop. You cant tell me thats a tuning issue
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-03-2011
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
It blows no smoke because the procharger is forcing enough air to light the turbo very quickly. A laggy turbo will also cause smoke off the line. Trains do smoke when they are starting out...... Coal fired trains always smoke... your point?

I said nothing about tuning issues. Merely made a point is all. It's under load until the turbo spools up is what i am getting at. My truck will smoke if i want it to. But runs smoke free once the turbo lights.

Blowing smoke is not also cool and is heavily frowned upon by the general population and EPA. Why do you think there is so much more emissions BS now?

(Sorry zach for derailing)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-04-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
I said its impossible for it to NOT blow smoke. Meaning it smokes constantly. And I live in a hicktown where no one cares about emissions lol.
Im tired of talkin bout this anyways. Everyones got their own opinons about the way diesels work and no one will admit theyre wrong. Lets agree to disagree
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-04-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
And I also apologize for getting WAYYY off subject!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-06-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XLTOffroad View Post
Trains do smoke when they are starting out...... Coal fired trains always smoke... your point?


(Sorry zach for derailing)
lol
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-06-2011
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelcaminoman View Post
I said its impossible for it to NOT blow smoke. Meaning it smokes constantly.
If you take the time to tune it, have a good injector/turbo/million other goodie combination you can make them not smoke.

Its been done many times
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-06-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
But it funner to smoke lol. My brother got married yesterday and during the whole getaway car thing, him in his cummins, and 2 of his friends with a powerstroke and another cummins all went drivin round town and turned the city streets black lol. O man it was beautiful!!
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-06-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
And why would you put a few extra grand and make sure everything is set up perfectly trying to stop a truck from blowin smoke when everyone elses does?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 35xx12.50r17 General Grabber FR's on 17" wheels. f250/350 superduty. NC D Rock Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 10 02-19-2011 03:34 PM
School me on full sizes f150 vs superduty 01 ranger 4x4 General Ford Discussion 108 03-10-2010 12:36 PM
New Tailgate and Superduty 3rd Brakelight Toreador4x4 Snapshots 31 06-05-2009 05:37 PM
Pulled out a superduty today slodsm General Ford Ranger Discussion 16 01-07-2007 01:00 AM
Ford's new SuperDuty.... lifted97ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 141 10-01-2006 07:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.