General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Need help on a Foglight mod.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on a Foglight mod.

Well as the title says I'm trying to find some help with my truck.

I've noticed that the newer Rangers 98 and on (correct me if I'm wrong here) have the option of running the Fog lights with the Parking lamps turned on.

Now I really like this mod and I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to do the conversion on a 1994-97 Ranger.

I've searched RangerPowerSports.com and this forum as well with no success, I remember seeing a decent illustration of the mod but I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone here help me out?

Old 12-03-2006
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
without rewireing the truck completely, there isnt much else you can do......Bob and I have tried a couple times with no prevail(he was the planner, I was the executer!).......maybe we can put our heads together again and figure something out....

Old 12-03-2006
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just re-wire the fog light switch to get power from the park light switch.

Old 12-03-2006
Originally Posted by CadiLLaPimPin
Just re-wire the fog light switch to get power from the park light switch.
not that easy...........i have already tried that....not only does the foglight switch have to be in the on position, but there is also a fog light relay that needs to be on......

Old 12-04-2006
Couldn't you just wire them like you would wire yur ordinary off road lights and call it a day? I did the fog light mod on my 2006. It helps me quite a bit on Pizza deliveries in the ghetto!

Old 12-04-2006
Originally Posted by T4EaterJonny
Couldn't you just wire them like you would wire yur ordinary off road lights and call it a day? I did the fog light mod on my 2006. It helps me quite a bit on Pizza deliveries in the ghetto!
i guess you didnt read any other post that is here except for the 1st one.....

please go back and read the post to answer your question....

Old 12-04-2006
not that easy...........i have already tried that....not only does the foglight switch have to be in the on position, but there is also a fog light relay that needs to be on......
Does the switch not operate the relay?
Find me a wire diagram and I can tell you how to do it.

Old 12-04-2006
fx4
my friend has a 94 ranger and we cut the fog light wire and caps on the end of the wire and the fog lights we spliced in to the head lights and it works fine did it in june

Old 12-04-2006
RF Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fx4
my friend has a 94 ranger and we cut the fog light wire and caps on the end of the wire and the fog lights we spliced in to the head lights and it works fine did it in june
The OP has a 1995 Ranger. The foglamp switch, foglamp circuit and relay logic are completely different between 94 and 95.

Old 12-04-2006
Originally Posted by rwenzing
The OP has a 1995 Ranger. The foglamp switch, foglamp circuit and relay logic are completely different between 94 and 95.
If it can't be done as you and Maurice stated, Ill stick to the low beam fog setup.

Thanks though

Old 12-04-2006
Originally Posted by CadiLLaPimPin
Find me a wire diagram and I can tell you how to do it.
Here's the fog lamp diagram for a '97, which I believe is he same as a '95. So what do you think?

Old 12-05-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by HRoc
Originally Posted by rwenzing
Originally Posted by fx4
If it can't be done as you and Maurice stated, Ill stick to the low beam fog setup.
I did not say that it can't be done - I know for certain that it can.

I said that the method used to modify a 94 would not work on a 95.

Old 12-05-2006
rwenzing has talked to me about this in PM's......we have a method that i am going to try this weekend or maybe tomorrow to see if it works properly or not.......i WILL let you guys know....

Old 12-05-2006
I recently did the foglight mod on my '98, which is kinda why I'm curious as to how it gets done on the earlier models. The fog lamp circuit is a little different than on the '97.

With my limited knowledge and experience, the hard part of the mod for me was figuring out where to get the alternative power source to feed the fog lamp circuit. After studying a lot of '98 wiring diagrams, I finally discovered that the park lamp circuit also feeds a relay in the trailer hitch circuit, and so I was able to tap into the the wire that powers the trailer hitch relay to make it also power the fog lamp relay. Works great. Maybe you can do something similar on the earlier models?

Good luck with the mod in any case.

Old 12-05-2006
RF Veteran
Originally Posted by Rockledge
After studying a lot of '98 wiring diagrams, I finally discovered that the park lamp circuit also feeds a relay in the trailer hitch circuit, and so I was able to tap into the the wire that powers the trailer hitch relay to make it also power the fog lamp relay.
That is similar to what we have been doing on Maurice's 97 -using the brown wire of the parking light circuit to power the positive side of the relay coil instead of using the high beam circuit. Maurice and I have discussed the procedure and he is going to try it again.

Old 12-05-2006

I've noticed that the newer Rangers 98 and on (correct me if I'm wrong here) have the option of running the Fog lights with the Parking lamps turned on.

Now I really like this mod and I'm wondering if anyone here knows how to do the conversion on a 1994-97 Ranger.

I've searched RangerPowerSports.com and this forum as well with no success, I remember seeing a decent illustration of the mod but I can't find it anywhere.

here is a write up on TRS about how to do it on the 1993-1994 Rangers....IT WILL NOT WORK ON A 1995-1997 Ranger SO DONT TRY! YOU WILL MESS SOMETHING UP!

here is the link: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...ght_rewire.htm

If you have factory fog lights you may notice that they only work when you have your low-beams on. They can't operate with the parking lights alone, nor do they operate when you switch to high-beams. The wiring behind the dash trim can easily be altered to allow the fog lights to be on with the parking lights and high beams, or completely independently from the headlight system. Advantages to having the fog lights on without the headlights are that you can see under dust and fog more effectively with the lower-mounted lights, and you can easily light up a wide area without burning all your lights (e.g. pitching a tent in the dark). This setup can also make a good daytime light system.

You will need to remove the dash trim to access the wiring behind the switch. take out the two 7mm bolts holding the ash tray in, then the rest of the trim piece just snaps off.

I did this on a '94 Ranger. Other years may or may not be similar. It's up to you to explore and do some multimeter tests to see.

Old 12-05-2006
I see that the switch acts as a ground for the coil side of the relay, which is then wired right back into line with the lights, I guess they did that to save some wire?
Do you have a diagram for the rest of exterior light system? I need to see the setup for the headlight switch and this "multi function switch" to know which wire to jump.

Last edited by CadiLLacPimPin; 12-05-2006 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-07-2006

I basically ran My own switch for my fogs. I can run all of my lights (fog) with just my parking lamps on. The origonal for light switch is usless in my truck now. No big deal. I welded up my own light bow and inserted my own switches. And wa la!