General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Taurus efan pictures.....

Old 09-16-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Taurus efan pictures.....

got my Ford Taurus efan installed.....told a few people i would take some pictures....

as you can see in the pictures, i used the push through cooler holders and then made a little bracket that screwed into the top of the radiator.....it is not going anywhere by no means.....

also, you have to be careful where you mount this because of the clearance with the water pump pulley....as you can see in one of the pictures....

Old 09-16-2007
as you can see in these pictures, the clearance is really close......it is about 1/2" MAX clearance......

Old 09-16-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you have a good distance between the fan and radiator. Me and matt installed one on his truck. 3 days later it sprung a leak. The fan is like an airplane trying to fly into the radiator. There was just enough flex to hit his when it was on.

Old 09-16-2007
there is about an 1.5" to 2" gap between the fan and the radiator itself....i have been watching the anti-freeze level just for that.....haven't seen any drop in the level yet, so hopefully it will stay fine....

Old 09-16-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That should be ample. I think we had about 1/2" when we did it.

Old 09-17-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Maurice !!!!

That answered a couple of my questions. You have any shots of how the shroud was trimmed?

Old 09-17-2007
Originally Posted by tekrsq
Thanks Maurice !!!!

That answered a couple of my questions. You have any shots of how the shroud was trimmed?
no sir i don't......

I am going to do a write up tonight about installing the fan.......i have to make some wiring upgrades to run the high side of the fan.....the basic efan controller wiring will not work because of the amp draw the fan pulls on high...

Old 09-19-2007
RF Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah I'm going to be running my new one on high with the 5.0 and I'm going to have to see if my new fan controller can be used or modded to work.

The fan def. pulls some power

Old 09-19-2007
Why wouldn't a standard controller work? The main power isn't coming through the controller, the controller is just triggering a relay? Would this thing need more than a 30 amp relay?

I've bee checking the junk yards this week. Apparently these are in bigger demand than I thought. I've only been able to find 1, and that guy wants $120. I'm not that desperate though.

Old 09-19-2007
Originally Posted by INT3RC3PTOR
I'm going to have to see if my new fan controller can be used or modded to work.
more than likely you wont be able to just use the fan controller for the high side. At start up the Taurus efan pulls 80A and with the fan controller only rated at 30A, it will be destroyed in a few starts.....The reason i had to rewire mine was because it MELTED the fuse and fuse holder for the main power supply to the controller (battery to controller).

here is the high side wiring diagram i made up:
https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...432#post759432

Old 09-19-2007
Why wouldn't a standard controller work? The main power isn't coming through the controller, the controller is just triggering a relay? Would this thing need more than a 30 amp relay?
the relay in the controllers are only rated for 30A. The efan at start up pulls 80A-85A. Like i said above, mine melted the fuse and fuse holder for the main power supply after about a day of use.

here is the high side wiring diagram i made up:
https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...432#post759432

I have a total of $100 in this fan, after buying the fan, the new relay, and rewiring it...

I've bee checking the junk yards this week. Apparently these are in bigger demand than I thought. I've only been able to find 1, and that guy wants $120. I'm not that desperate though.
yes they are in high demand. people from off road buggies to hot rods are using this fan......check eBay, they are on there for $60 all the time

Old 09-19-2007
The big question is how it's performing? Does it keep you truck running cool and what kind of power gains have you noticed?

Old 09-19-2007
power gains non really since i had an efan before i put this one on......when i installed the first one, i gained about 1 mpg.....

Performing, this thing on the high setting is amazing.....i can literally watch the temp gauge (AutoMeter water temp gauge w/ sensor located in the same spot as the factory gauge sensor was) fall when this thing is running....the A/C runs a lot colder than it did before (even colder than it did with the previous efan)......you can put your hand behind the grill and FEEL the air being sucked into the radiator....and this thing pulls air through the entire radiator since it has a fan shroud...

Old 09-19-2007
Very good to know, thanks dude!

This may be an upcoming mod for me.

Old 09-20-2007
That diagram is pretty much what I was thinking would have to be done. I just didn't realize they pulled that much on start up and would require that big a relay. I wonder if an "old style" ford starter solenoid would work. It's definetly cheaper, but don't know the amp rating. You would think it would have to be up there since it's for a starter circuit, but I'll have to do some research. Thanks man !!!!!

Old 09-20-2007
notta problem.....

if it does work, let me know and i will modify the diagram to include the part number for it...

Old 10-06-2007
I am thinking of doing the same thing. What year of taurus did the e-fan come off of?

Old 10-06-2007
'94 3.8v6......

i have a different wiring diagram than what i posted on here, and i have a better controller, but it is $70 for the controller but well worth it...

Old 10-07-2007
When you get a chance, post the new diagram and controller. I still haven't had a chance to get to the JY to pull a fan, but as soon as I can, I'll need the info.

Old 10-07-2007
When you get a chance, post the new diagram and controller. I still haven't had a chance to get to the JY to pull a fan, but as soon as I can, I'll need the info.
i will do that sometime this week.....

go to www.spalusa.com and look up FAN-PWM for the controller....then you need a 40A SPDT relay also....

Old 10-07-2007
Originally Posted by D.
Brian made an adaptor for myself and ZaBeard. It goes in the radiator hose and is tapped for a standard 5/8ths thread temp sensor. I use the factory gauge to see temp going into the radiator and the adaptor for whats coming out.

It MIGHT be something you would be intrested in. Lemme know.
i preciate it D.......i don't really look at my stock gauges much so i don't really need it.....i tapped into the PCM sensor wire for the controller input (this efan controller doesn't have a radiator push through) is a good one that reads variable voltage from a gauge sensor....it can use the stock gauge sensor...

Old 10-10-2007
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad to see someone took my advice and went with the taurus fan.

side note, i can get these for about $15 all day long :-D i have a few around my house somewhere in fact...lol. i like to collect parts.