General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a brief interior paint how-to and some pics of my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a brief interior paint how-to and some pics of my truck!

i wrote this writeup for some guys on rps, so dont complain if you see pics ive already posted here ;o)

so ive had a couple requests to do a writeup on interior painting.... i'm not talking about colormatched accents here and there... i mean the ENTIRE interior :o) i never really expected to do a writeup on this, so i didnt take too many "during-the-process" pictures but i'll try to explain as best as i can.

my truck interior came from the factory as a dark gray, with black accents. i decided i wanted an all-black interior with colormatched silver frost accents. i went from this:

to this (these pics were taken before it was 100% finished, some interior panels are missing):

Supplies:
-SEM Vinyl and Fabric Paint (8 to 12 cans should be sufficient)
-Bulldog (or duplicolor) adhesion promoter (4 to 6 cans)
-masking tape
-duplicolor colormatched small cans (depends on how much stuff youre planning on colormatching. 5 to 7 cans should do it)
-duplicolor clearcoat (3 to 4 cans)
-degreaser
-dishsoap, sponges
-rubbing alcohol

expect to pay anywhere from $150 to $200 for the supplies. (all that paint is pricey)

DO NOT use any vinyl and fabric paint other than SEM (ex: duplicolor v&f) I physically tested quite a few brands, and the SEM holds up FAR better than any i tried.

i pulled out every interior panel and painted it in my garage, EXCEPT for the dash, which i masked off and painted right in the truck.

As far as prepping is concerned, don't skimp on this step.

-spray down the part with a degreaser of some sort. scrub with a dish sponge. rinse.
-scrub the part again using soapy water (dishsoap works well). rinse. dry.
-wipe the entire part down with rubbing alcohol.

once the part is clean and dry, the painting can begin. try to avoid painting outside. i painted all the pieces i pulled out in my garage, with the garage door half-closed to allow for ventilation, but prevent too much breeze from kicking up dust anywhere. dust is your enemy ;o)

-following the directions on the can of adhesion promoter, do 2 to 3 coats. remember to keep the adhesion promoter layers very light, or they can create runs that can screw up the finish.
- once the part is prepped with adhesion promoter, spray a light coat of SEM vinyl and fabric spray. i'd suggest doing several very light coats, with a few minutes drying time between each one.

once i was done painting each part, i'd take it into the house. now, you dont HAVE to do this, but the results will be better if you do. SEM vinyl and fabric spray bonds increasingly well OVER TIME. for this reason, i didnt put each piece back in the truck when it dried, ESPECIALLY high traffic panels (like the door panels, kick panels, etc.) I left most parts out of the truck to dry for a minimum of 2 days before i reinstalled the part. some parts, like the lower kick panels, i left out for up to a week.

the dash wasnt too bad to paint. just make sure you take your time masking everything off. here are some pictures of the dash being painted, all masked off:

you can do the colormatching DURING the interior painting process, or you can wait till youre done. i did it at the same time. here are the steps i took for the colormatched pieces:

-sand the part down with 320 grit, then 400, then 600 wetsand, to a smooth finish.
-a coat or two of adhesion promoter.
-several LIGHT coats of duplicolor colormatched spray
-let dry for a MINIMUM of 1 hour
-1 very light coat of duplicolor clearcoat. let it get tacky for a minute or two, then hit it with a second HEAVY coat, and a third if needed.

i generally let these pieces dry overnight, and then reinstall in the truck the next day.

so thats basically it! if there are any questions, let me know, as i probably missed something from rushing through the writeup. i painted mine in march, and to date its holding up perfectly. the finish that the SEM leaves looks completely stock. people cannot even remotely tell i've painted the interior. be prepared for this project to take awhile. it took me about 2 weeks, since i'd pull a couple interior panels out every day after work and paint em. if you want to tackle it all at once, i'd say give yourself a minimum of 3 to 4 FULL days.

finally, here are some pics of my truck:

Old 09-07-2005
heres some more pics :o)

system after it was first finished (before the interior change);

i also have a set of the 2006 ranger emblems that just came in today that i'll be putting on soon, woot woot.

Old 09-07-2005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet truck there dude.

Old 09-07-2005
Nice ride...

Old 09-07-2005
DKM
wow that looks awesome. i love the LCD screens in the visors...i dont even have mirrors in mine

Old 09-07-2005
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
whats that graphic stuff on the back..

to cover up the holes from the emblem?

Old 09-07-2005
man, that took some work...nice job!!

Old 09-07-2005
nice job, love that interior!

Old 09-07-2005
dude that is so sweet!!! i love all of that silver!!

Old 09-07-2005
HOLLY $H!T DUDE!!!!!!!
thats a lot of work but a nice turn out.

Does it ever chip or anything?

Old 09-07-2005
the only thing you need now are some sweet polished tips for an exhaust system!

Old 09-07-2005
nope hasnt ever chipped or peeled, and its been 6 months. if you kick it hard enough, you can scuff it off. the decal in the back is a clothing logo for a company called ambiguous. it was originally intended tocover the holes... but i got my 06 emblems today and i'll be replacing the decal with one of those shortly :o) my plans for an exhaust are a magnaflow si/so with a dual chrome tip coming out before the rear tire.

Old 04-09-2006
RF Veteran
I know i just arised an old thread, but at least the member is still active and my question is ontopic.

Did you order some darker pieces such as the floor carpet and roof material? What did you have to buy if you had to buy any parts off of ebay/from ford.

I have a paint hookup luckily since i work for a company.

Aaron

Old 04-09-2006
the black carpet i got at www.stockinteriors.com about a year ago for ~$129.

the headliner and explorer visors were upholstered at a local shop using ford oem ebony twill; same fabric used on my 03's seats and upper interior door panels :o)

only things i needed to get from ford was a pack of random grommets to replace some that broke removing every panel. sheesh ;o/

Old 04-10-2006
RF Veteran
damn man, i dont wanna know how much the headliner would cost for me. I bet they sell a dark one though, don't they?

*edit* do you think there's a way to dye either hte headlinger or carpet? For carpet i think it might be one layer and bendable? So i could stuff it in an apartment washer with dye and change its color? Or does it have some thick layer underneath? I see the cheapest i can get it for is about 125 bucks. As for the headliner, I saw pretty much none on ebay. Someone was selling a 22 dollar "kit" that looked like you just adhered a new cloth layer to the headliner. What exactly did the local place do for your headliner?

Aaron

Last edited by Red_Ak_Ranger; 04-10-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-10-2006
the carpet might be hard to dye. its a layer of carpet, with another layer of reinforncement, then jute-pad bonded to the bottom.

i actually tried to dye my headliner before i went the reupholstery route. it didnt come out how i wanted it. i mean it looked black, but it didnt turn out GOOD, and its texture got all nappy.

for reupholstering, the fabric cost me about $70, and the labor cost about $100 for the headliner AND visors.

the shop basically took the new material, and adhered it to the headliner using heat and adhesive spray. i actually attempted this myself too, but its much harder than it looks. the headliner has all these curves and stuff, and its really hard to adhere new fabric without getting wrinkles in the corners and around the curves and such. MAJOR pita if you arent familiar with reupholstery.

Old 04-10-2006
who?
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
brian that is hot.

i musta missed this thread before. but nice job! how is it holding up?

Old 09-27-2006
who?
I'm digging up this thread again. lol

did you apply clear on after the SEM vynl paint? It looks so shiny.

Old 09-27-2006
whats with the cup holder on the armrest?

Old 09-27-2006
WOW....I dont know what else to say...

Old 09-27-2006
Level III Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks great brian one of the many reasons your truck is one of my fav rangers for all time. looks like all you need is the seats and your done! great job

Old 09-27-2006
who?
Old 09-27-2006
thanks for the revived love guys! hehe.

zach - no... i didnt put any clearcoat on the dash/door panels/etc. it will definitely crack or peel. the SEM paint I used is matte, but it has a slight gloss to it. basically looks factory in person. i've never had anyone even remotely able to tell that my interior is painted.

that link you have there is for the SEM classic coat. I used the SEM color coat in landau black;

http://www.sem.ws/category.php?category_id=36

Old 09-27-2006
Originally Posted by Bumpncarstereo
whats with the cup holder on the armrest?
thats just stock. i'm assuming theyre common in 01-03 xlt rangers... or maybe its 03+? i dunno.

Old 09-27-2006
Originally Posted by barrman
thats just stock. i'm assuming theyre common in 01-03 xlt rangers... or maybe its 03+? i dunno.
02+ My 01 didn't have it and my Buddies 02 does.

~HJ

Quick Reply: a brief interior paint how-to and some pics of my truck!