New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

New LED bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New LED bulbs

I saw these in Truckin magazine

These slid into any taillights and are alot brighter than stock bulbs...Thought they were cool...the company is SpiderLight

Spiderlight

Old 01-22-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a single LED bulb for my 194 and it sucks. Its just 1 single bulb and its terrible, good thing I got it for free. For the rear I saw these ones that have like 9 bulbs but they wer eonly like 7 bucks a pair. Well they look frigin awesome, 5 star and 3 star look really good but I can't see myself paying 35+ for one. (Coming from the same guy that got HIDs) Maybe when I got some spare cash.

Old 01-22-2006
Originally Posted by AuthPineApple
I have a single LED bulb for my 194 and it sucks. Its just 1 single bulb and its terrible, good thing I got it for free. For the rear I saw these ones that have like 9 bulbs but they wer eonly like 7 bucks a pair. Well they look frigin awesome, 5 star and 3 star look really good but I can't see myself paying 35+ for one. (Coming from the same guy that got HIDs) Maybe when I got some spare cash.
Just about every LED conversion I have tried is crap when you compare them to the brightness of regular incandescent bulbs. Even if it has 7-9 LEDs on it...if they are all pointing the same direction it will probably not be close to a regular bulb. I could see these Spiderlites being better than the others...more LED's and better light distribution. I'm picky when it comes to my brake lights...they're kinda important. If these really are as bright or brighter than regular bulbs I would be willing to pay the $$$$.

Old 01-22-2006
IM satisfied with my stock ones. I have the 3 bulb set up going right now instead of the stock 2. I did that mod on how to do it and they are bright enough. 3rd brake light works well too so mine is all good. And I plan on taking out that 194 bulb but its just in the side marking light and since I have the 98-00 ranger its not really all that needed, heh.

Old 01-22-2006
Don't forget with LED's they will make your turn signals blink you have a blown bulb. You will need a load equalizer spliced into the turn signal/brake wires to fix it.

$35+ and up is way more than I want to spend for a single bulb.

Old 01-23-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got 5 LEDs in my clear corners 32 LEDs for my driving lights and the same numbers for reverse and brake...they sell LED resistors on ebay for like 2 for 15 bucks...

Old 01-23-2006
save your money man, i just started a new thread in the general discussion about leds. i paid $20 for a pair of led replacements. they had like 10-15 leds on each one. they suck. i was hoping they'd be brighter. they were a little bit, but like fuze said, they all point in the same direction. they're not visible from the side and don't light up the capsule they just shoot light toward the back like a laser and a tiny laser at that. considering the hole is only and ich around, i doubt you're going to cut your tail lamp assembly up to install those poopy five star four inch wide mo fo's, or at least i seriously hope you don't. after buying, installing, and seeing how poopy they are, i would not recommend them.

just my two pennies.

Old 01-23-2006
Originally Posted by l2en
save your money man, i just started a new thread in the general discussion about leds. i paid $20 for a pair of led replacements. they had like 10-15 leds on each one. they suck. i was hoping they'd be brighter. they were a little bit, but like fuze said, they all point in the same direction. they're not visible from the side and don't light up the capsule they just shoot light toward the back like a laser and a tiny laser at that. considering the hole is only and ich around, i doubt you're going to cut your tail lamp assembly up to install those poopy five star four inch wide mo fo's, or at least i seriously hope you don't. after buying, installing, and seeing how poopy they are, i would not recommend them.

just my two pennies.

your right they suck because 10 - 15 isn't gonna be enough light output...you need at least 25 leds. I already tried it with the first set but they let me send them back to upgrade, at a higher cost of course. i have 25 led bulb for my brake lights, 20 for back-up and front signals, and 5 led inverted for the park lights. the 25 has 20 straight firing and 5 side/rear firing...i can't remember on evans because he got the newer version of my 25 but i think he has like 25 direct and the rest side/rear firing

Old 01-23-2006
well if you read my other thread on the link i posted, you'd know i niteshade'd my tails and the led's definitely don't do the job. i'm sure they'd be fine for stock or other aftermarket tails, but mine are black. i got the pack out of my truck and they have 20 led's per piece. i don't think there's much of a difference between 20 leds like mine and 25 like yours. the ranger light capsule wasn't intended for them. there is too much empty space inside. i'd almost need to line the entire capsule with leds for them to look descent.

to each his own, if you like em go with. =]

i don't like em, they're poop

[edit] nice truck btw rddvl23, the brake light looks exactly like mine did in your picture except it looked like a laser as round as a half dollar coming from the back with all the black isolating the lens.

Last edited by l2en; 01-23-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2006
RF Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not buying them, just thought some other people might like to check them out

Old 01-25-2006
What some people forget though is that an LED will last practically forever. Not saying they are any brighter, but they are worth the price IF you want to never change your lights again. The only way they burn out is improper hook-ups.