Drivetrain Tech General discussion of drivetrain for the Ford Ranger.

FAQ on regaring anywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FAQ on regearing anywhere?

I've searched around but can't find any basic questions on regearing. A few questions were answered with the search, but not all.

Such as:
- What exactly is involved?
- Would re-gearing from 3.55 to 4.10 be easy for the dealership to discover? And would it be an easy "this is an aftermarket part.... warranty void" ?
- How much would it cost for someone to do this? I remember the dealership quoted me $1,200 to upgrade to a 3.73 LS

Since I have my own thread I might as well ask the same kind of question everyone else does....

I want to run 32" tires, I want gears that will benefit the mileage and not kill my truck (EG: making other parts work too hard).

Also, if I wanted to get an LS or Locker would this be a prime time to get it done (in regards to cost/time saving) or would it not be that big of a savings?

Quick summary of facts:
- I have a 3.55 open
- I have a stock 2WD edge/sports
- I want to run 32" BFG A/T tires.
- I wont be doing the work myself.

Old 09-08-2006
who?
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
yes perfect time to do a locker/LS

you need to find a friend that knows how to regear. and the dealer isnt your friend for regearing. you would be better to find some type of performance shop if you cant find a friend that knows how to do it.

heck maybe even a RF member will give you a hand.

the gears themselves plus the install kit would be like 300 at most.

4.10s and 33s are a pretty good match.

Old 09-08-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm guessing there's really no point in regearing unless you're putting large tires on? and it's more beneficial to offroaders right?

This is the first time it's come into my head.

Old 09-08-2006
who?
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit22
I'm guessing there's really no point in regearing unless you're putting large tires on? and it's more beneficial to offroaders right?

This is the first time it's come into my head.

depends what he is looking for.

if he wants to keep the stock ratio he needs to regear if he gets bigger tires.

but at the same time i have the 4.0 and the 4wd options comes with 4.10s standard.

you still need to keep a good highway / city ratio if it is goignto be a DD. too high(numericaly) of gears it will suck the fuel on the highway, too low(numericaly) it will be doggy.

Old 09-08-2006
who?
most use a formula like this if upsizing tires.

New tire diameter / stock tire diameter * current gear ratio = new gear ratio.

Old 09-08-2006
Originally Posted by zabeard
yes perfect time to do a locker/LS
Good good, I will try to do some research on getting one.

you need to find a friend that knows how to regear. and the dealer isnt your friend for regearing. you would be better to find some type of performance shop if you cant find a friend that knows how to do it.

heck maybe even a RF member will give you a hand.
Don't have any friends who would know it. If some RF members close to me had the ability and desire (w/ some motivation? ) to do it that would be awesome. My only concern is I was reading how it has to be exact, precise, can't miss up at all.

4.10s and 33s are a pretty good match.
Is this also true for 32s ?

depends what he is looking for.

you still need to keep a good highway / city ratio if it is goignto be a DD. too high(numericaly) of gears it will suck the fuel on the highway, too low(numericaly) it will be doggy.
That's exactly my concern. This will be my daily driver. I want something that wont kill mileage and wont put too much stress on everything else.

Old 09-08-2006
who?
32s and 4.10s are fine

my truck came stock with 30.8s and 4.10s. lol yours isnt much different from mine when it was stock. besides 4wd

Old 09-08-2006
who?
Originally Posted by TommyC
Don't have any friends who would know it. If some RF members close to me had the ability and desire (w/ some motivation? ) to do it that would be awesome. My only concern is I was reading how it has to be exact, precise, can't miss up at all.
this is what i was worried about. but after doing it its not that big of deal. you mainly need to have the right tools and a good feel for it.

Old 09-08-2006
RF Veteran
Regearing can have lots of different applications... it's not only for bigger tires or for off-road applications. If you want more torque and 'umph' then you can switch to lower (numerically higher) gears. It will limit your top speed though. If you like to drive fast on the highway, taller (numerically lower) gears will increase your top speed a little bit and suck less fuel on the highway. You'll pay in your low-gear torque and in city driving though. It's a trade-off depending on what you want to do with your vehicle.

Old 09-08-2006
Originally Posted by Gearhead61
If you like to drive fast on the highway, taller (numerically lower) gears will increase your top speed a little bit and suck less fuel on the highway. You'll pay in your low-gear torque and in city driving though. It's a trade-off depending on what you want to do with your vehicle.
I like to drive around 80-85 MPH on the highway, I am willing to sacrifice some torque for MPG in city driving. I don't want to sacrifice city MPG though, this is my daily driver so it will basically be 50/50 or so.

Any ideas on what I should be expecting to pay for...
A) Upgrading to 4.10 gears (labor + parts)
B) Adding an LS (labor + parts)

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2006
RF Veteran
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I posted this awhile back when I rebuild, regeared, and added a locker to a 31 spline FX4 rear and put it on my Edge. It's not a "how-to", but you might find some of the information useful.

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ead.php?t=6064

Old 09-08-2006
who?
you should be fine with that. 4.10s and 32s.

Old 09-08-2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I went from 3.55's to 4.10s it took me about an hour and a half to do it all with my buddy at our shop. We werent in a hurry and you shouldnt be either, if you take ur time its fairly simple if your mechically inclined. I went to 4.10's for the umph over the 3.55's as Im making my truck more for speed rather then lifting. Top end wise I dunno what I'm hitting due to the fact that my spedo is off cause of the change.