4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech General discussion of 4.0L OHV and SOHC V6 Ford Ranger engines.

looking for a good sounding cat back system

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looking for a good sounding cat back system

I'm looking for a nice deep sounding cat back system for my 2001 ford ranger edge 4x4 4.0. I've been doing alot of research but i wanna hear some sound clips or something to help my decision. I've been looking at gibson has anyone heard this or has it Let me know i'm also looking for a nice easy instal my new tig welder just took a dump :( nice waste of 1500 but anyways its a lil big to take into work to weld up let me know thanks everyone!!!

Old 02-11-2007
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a link in my sig for the Gibson swept side stainless I had on my truck.

Old 02-11-2007
Your best bet is to track down some rangers and listen to them. I say this because I love mine and somebody said they heard one with my system (either in person or a sound clip) and said is sounded like A$$. So to each is own. BTW, Gibson has a sound clip and I think it sounds good but its not what mine is and I dont know where the microphone was when they recorded it and I NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER, sit in the drive way and just rev the engine to tell what it sounds like. I have done it a couple of times and it sounds like the sound clip but it dont sound the same AT ALL like it does driving down the road, passing people, climbing the few hills we have here, or down shifting to stop at a light, etc....

I have a gibson Extreme Duel Exhaust. Love it, PERIOD. Loud enough and yet quiet enough, no drone at all. The muffler is a flow through muffler, you can actually see through it.

I am not pushing anything, just my opinion. I have FM on my Mustang and they simply ROCK, but the 4.0 is not the 5.0.

my $0.02

Old 02-11-2007
i got the Flowmaster 40s Si/So and i love it. i'm adding a Y pipe ona dn making it dual in the summer but i got a whold video in my sig BELOW IN BLUE LETTERING!! has interior sound, rev, and drive by, umust remember it is a video camera and the sound can sound diffrent in real life. but i love it. and i always turn heads.

Old 02-11-2007
My cousin has the 3.0L and went to a shop and had the flowmaster SI/DO installed, and when he starts it up and it idles, I would swear that it sounds like a 5.0 Mustang.

Its not that much louder in the cab than my stock system.

When the tax money gets here, thats where I am headed.

D & G right out side of Marietta, OH.. Cat back, out the door with tax, 180.00

Old 02-11-2007
Who needs a cat-back system?
Try this:http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...gerExhaust.flv

Old 02-12-2007
I dont think I heard 3 hard revs to red line..... But non loaded revs sound diffrent than loaded driving down the road. And someone just touched on something I forgot. What you hear and what you record then hear from a digicam or whatever is going to be diffrent. No mechanical device can reproduce what we can hear. Fidelity Technology has not advanced enough.

My advice, look for someone from your area that has something and listen to it. Ask a few shops what they think you should use. They might even be able to get you in contact with some that they have actually done. You know like a referance.

Old 02-12-2007
Well, okay, it wasn't 3 hard revs to red line, I just revved until the governor/rev limiter cut me off which is around 3k rpm. On the road or in drive you can rev higher of course but it would be hard to get a good controlled recording of it. Unless I were to do a drive by or something.
Maybe that's what I'll do next time I have a chance. What I did there was just a spur of the moment thing b/c people wanted to hear it.
Also, mechanical recordings are the best thing we have when it comes trying to decide on the best sounds. Not everyone in your town is going to have a variety of aftermarket exhausts.

Last edited by Austin1; 02-12-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-12-2007
With a mere 4400 or so people (guestimate #) and 44000 on RPS (per their website which I am a member there also) there MUST be some one near Matt in Tonawanda NY. I would almost bet on there being someone within 50-100 miles or so that would be willing to meet to show off their stuff. After all what do we all love to talk about more than ourselves? And our JuNk!

A Quick search on these and other websites (mustanggt.org, which I am a member there as well) about which exhausts sounds/performs/etc.. better, and you will find as many opinions as to why which is best as you will find why the same exhaust sucks a$$. It’s the belly button theory (you know, everybody has one and they are all different).

I just don’t put much faith in the recordings of the exhausts since the HIGH tech computer speakers simply cant recreate the sound that a digicam barely does well to record.

I do however almost agree with you. A recording is a way to hear and sample exhaust tones. I just think it is almost neck and neck with asking for opinions on which is best.

I also would like to take the time to offer my truck up to anybody who wants to hear a Gibson. I would be willing to drive to, meet, whatever. I could even be convinced to let someone drive it (with me in the truck), to anybody in and around the Memphis area. I do also travel around some and I may be eventually in or around Bellefontaine Ohio, Raleigh/Henderson North Carolina, Oklahoma City Oklahoma, Fort Myers Florida (albeit verrrry occasionally).

I am not going to argue about exhaust, simply give my opinion and why I believe this. The opinion is formed by the other side of the conversation. If you dissagree with this post, fine, reply and tell me so, pm me or start another string but, I wont be commenting/arguing any further on this string about exhaust. I have stated my opinion.

Good Luck Matt. I know whatever you get you will be pleased.

Old 02-12-2007
Hey no problem man, not trying to start an argument or anything, peace!
But I myself am looking to have to get a muffler b/c for one:
1.legality?
2.Staties
3.can't hear self think
4.give it a better tone
So what about that gibson? What options in mufflers do they offer ****?
How does it sound and feel (reverberation inside cab (my biggest problem)) as if compared to a Flowmaster 40?
Your input is greatly appreciated!

Old 02-12-2007
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i like my Dynomax.....it is only $149 from Summit....sounds good....not too loud and not too quiet.......

Old 02-12-2007
God parts for this truck is so much cheaper than for my old car, its rediculous! 150 for a caback vs 600 for me.

Old 02-12-2007
Pipes

The guy here at told me that the Flowmaster Super 40 series has the deepest sound. Because when i went in to look for a new muffler and pipes, i flat out told him i didn't want my truck to sound like a honda civic. LOL. And i've only got the 3.0L and it sounds bad *** and nothing like a civic.

Old 02-12-2007
Cost me 265 for the muffler and the dual chrome tips installed.

Old 02-12-2007
DsD
Custom exhaust with a flomaster 40

here are a couple videos:

Old 02-13-2007
No Sweat

No worries. I dont know about the differences in mufflers between the different options that Gibson offers. I got the Extreme Duel Exhaust for several reasons. It was one of the few that actually stated that it fit an 04 edge. All the others said "exc. edge". I really wanted a cat back kit that was bolted to the existing cat flange. That way I could swap in an off road or high flow Y-pipe. I also liked the exhaust exits. I didn’t want the so called "red neck pipes so my DaD calls em'" straight out the back. I wanted to hear them more than that. I got the ones that come out behind the rear wheels at an angle. It does have the proper size to facilitate good flow but also maintain proper velocity.

There is absolutely no resonance in the cab, none, not in my case. It is a pleasant change from my 2.3L with a 2.5 inch pipe and a 2.25 inch Delta flow FlowMaster. I loved the sound, but it did resonate some. More so than the same muffler on my 88 2.3L mustang convertible.

I recommend the Gibson, hands down. Little more $ but I haven’t looked back.

If I were smarter (and more sober) I would have taken pictures of the pieces while I was painting them. But I didn’t. The muffler was a single in duel out. It looked massive at like 3 inches in and tiny at 1 and 7/8 duel out. If you looked in the 3 inch side it looked like a Glass Pack flow through. the second half opened up to a diverter section. You had to look in at an angle but you could get a glimpse through the muffler, so it was a flow through type.

I like the sound and I believe I am getting more mileage. I didn’t have much time to get a mileage baseline but I got 2 mpg better on the first partial tank I ran.

Old 02-13-2007
Thank you all so much you've helped me out alot, between gibson and dynomax i'm looking at now its pretty much picking one. Thanks again hopefully people in new york we can get a meet going in the spring time pass the word along tring to find some off roading places now to play in the mud!! Once again thanks!!

Old 02-14-2007
I have heard dynomax on the mustang and they sound real good compaired to stock. I think they are also a good choice.

Old 02-14-2007
Awesome i'm in tonawanda i'm actually looking to get a 4 inch suspension lift put on within the next few months, never done it but i wanna learn for future reference let me know next time you guys meet as long as i'm not working i'll be there. Thanks again everyone dynomax is on its way from summit thanks lifted97ranger kick a$$ deal

Old 02-15-2007
i want to sell my flowmaster 40 series. Just the muffler. It can come with the "dumped" exit, or i can cut it off. PM me if you're interested.

Old 02-15-2007
ive got the gibson swept side on my 4.0. sounds pretty much exactly like the video in the one guys sig way up there ^^ fx4me i think it was...

Old 02-16-2007
Location: Coal Region, MTC to be exact...heart of the coal region.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i posted some soundclips of my gals ranger with a magnaflow w/ custom catback...

Quick Reply: looking for a good sounding cat back system