2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech General discussion of 2.9L and 3.0L V6 Ford Ranger engines.

Replacing Fuel Filter...

Old 03-30-2007
RF Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the fuel lines with the clips, 2 on the tank side and one on the engine side, and i can't get the one to the engine off. What do you guys suggest? Should i soak it in WD40 or spray the hell out of it with water? I was thinking of taking off the 2 fuel lines i can and taking the filter out of the mount and twisting the filter a bit to grind out the crap that I'm sure is in there.

Old 03-30-2007
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are they those U shaped white plastic clips that lock in to the line?>

Old 03-31-2007
RF Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
all done... tool worked great once i 'fixed' it... the two half circles werent meeting up so it wouldnt fit in but once i got that straightend out all was well...

also letting it sit over night let out all the pressure, i barely had a dribble when i took the first line off unlike yesterday were it literally shot out of the lines lol

Old 03-31-2007
Biz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet..now i can do mine

Old 04-05-2007
I've tried twice over the last year to get my filter off without any luck. I was told on one of the other Ranger boards that if I accidentally broke the clip that holds the line onto the filter I'd have to buy a whole new line.
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=188816
The last reply where I was told to press on the clips and the line slides off didn't work for me, either. I felt as if I was about to break the line off the filter when I tried that.

Ticks me off having a new filter rolling around inside my toolbox and can't get the darn thing on.

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 04-05-2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: insert link & pics
Old 04-05-2007
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HELMUT RONER
I've tried twice over the last year to get my filter off without any luck. I was told on one of the other Ranger boards that if I accidentally broke the clip that holds the line onto the filter I'd have to buy a whole new line.
http://www.rangerpowersports.com/for...d.php?t=188816
The last reply where I was told to press on the clips and the line slides off didn't work for me, either. I felt as if I was about to break the line off the filter when I tried that.

Ticks me off having a new filter rolling around inside my toolbox and can't get the darn thing on.
You have the worlds easiest fuel filter to change, it's like mine. Take your thumb and press the coloured parts (green and orange) of the line ends inward while pulling them off the fuel filter nipples. I had a write up on GBO, but that site has gone with the wind I guess. I'll see if I can find it loose on the net.

I had bought a pack of these

after EVERYONE saying I needed tools....lesson learned, do the leg work yourself and find out, not everyone know what they're talking about 100% of the time. On the 01 models you don't need the line tools.

Last edited by Rolldogg; 04-05-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2007
Originally Posted by rangererv
you dont need to pull any fuses or anything to replace a fuel filter.
just let you truck sit for 10-20 minutes or so with the engine off and the pressure will release itself. still just have a drain pan below cause it will prob drip a little.
i've pulled cars in the shop and within a minute of shutting it off had the fuel filter out already. just wear some safty glasses.
and once the new one is on, turn the key to the on possition a couple time to prime it. if you dont do that, nothing really happends except it wont start untill the fuel hits the engine.
Thats kinda stupid why not just pull the fuse. takes a whole 30 secounds. Safer plus u dont gotta get gas all over u stick the whole house up. Take just as long to pull the fuse than to get some safety glasses ha..