5.0 or not? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-18-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
5.0 or not?

This has been going through my head for the past week now I just need to get it out. I've been itching for a 5.0L/4.6L and it won't go away. I don't know if any of this will happen or not, just throwing that out there. Here are my options:

1. Buy a relatively inexpensive mustang GT(somewhere around $3500) it would have to be in decent/good condition.
2. drop a 5.0L in the ranger. Which would be alot less expensive(I'm thinking 2 grand for everything you would need).
3. Or just be patient and save money up for a 1999-2004 Ford SVT Lightning or a 2003-2004 Ford SVT Cobra when I graduate from college.

I have a question about the 5.0 swap. My truck is my DD and I was just wondering if you can do this and have it be reliable driving long distances and what not.

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
heres a pic of my truck if it helps:
Name:  DSCN0581.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  146.5 KB
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-18-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
If you do it right, there shouldnt be any issues with driving it long distances
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-18-2009
TrucknGolf's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,829
NO 4.6.. My ranger will smoke my buddies 4.6 at all times.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-18-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrucknGolf View Post
NO 4.6.. My ranger will smoke my buddies 4.6 at all times.
WHat is it in? an F150? think about the weight difference.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-18-2009
TrucknGolf's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,829
Yea a 96 150 I think the year is. I also have larger tires to.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2009
bjohnson238's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Muncie, IN
Posts: 732
5.0 would be awesome, but would it be worth all that work?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-19-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson238 View Post
5.0 would be awesome, but would it be worth all that work?
I heard that it's a fairly easy install. Thanks for the replys guys. More opinions would be great.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-19-2009
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchsbuzz19 View Post
This has been going through my head for the past week now I just need to get it out. I've been itching for a 5.0L/4.6L and it won't go away. I don't know if any of this will happen or not, just throwing that out there. Here are my options:

1. Buy a relatively inexpensive mustang GT(somewhere around $3500) it would have to be in decent/good condition.
2. drop a 5.0L in the ranger. Which would be alot less expensive(I'm thinking 2 grand for everything you would need).
3. Or just be patient and save money up for a 1999-2004 Ford SVT Lightning or a 2003-2004 Ford SVT Cobra when I graduate from college.

I have a question about the 5.0 swap. My truck is my DD and I was just wondering if you can do this and have it be reliable driving long distances and what not.

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
heres a pic of my truck if it helps:
Personally, unless you're dead set on having a 5.0 Ranger, I'd stick with a 5.0 Stang or save for your dream SVT. A 5.0 can be as reliable as if it came equipped, if you know what you're doing. Manual trans (if you were wanting one) and 4wd could become an issue. A 5.0 is easy, to a degree. It's no bolt in swap by any means, especially when you start getting into a 5.0/4wd. You can have PCM, motor mounts, headers, wiring, exhaust, clutch/shifter, t-case adapter, rad, front belt drive and all the little issues that pop up that you have to consider. Ohh, and don't bother setting a budget unless you are hell-bent on it. My 5.0 parts gather started 1.5 years ago with a $2000 budget, and now with the motor being rebuilt and mostly done it has come close to $5000 for just engine/trans parts cost.

IMO, I'd buy a clean 5.0 Fox or later 4.6 GT/Cobra.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-19-2009
03edge's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 1,031
i say go the inexpensive gt route and work on it as a project. although a 5.0 would be sweet in your ranger, it really wont be as fast as a mustang because of the 4wd and the weight issue. if you need help looking or if you end up getting anything started let me know id be glad to help!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-19-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03edge View Post
i say go the inexpensive gt route and work on it as a project. although a 5.0 would be sweet in your ranger, it really wont be as fast as a mustang because of the 4wd and the weight issue. if you need help looking or if you end up getting anything started let me know id be glad to help!
Thanks Israel. I'm going to think this whole thing over a little bit. I'm sorta leaning on saving my pennies for an SVT when I graduate.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-19-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
Personally, unless you're dead set on having a 5.0 Ranger, I'd stick with a 5.0 Stang or save for your dream SVT. A 5.0 can be as reliable as if it came equipped, if you know what you're doing. Manual trans (if you were wanting one) and 4wd could become an issue. A 5.0 is easy, to a degree. It's no bolt in swap by any means, especially when you start getting into a 5.0/4wd. You can have PCM, motor mounts, headers, wiring, exhaust, clutch/shifter, t-case adapter, rad, front belt drive and all the little issues that pop up that you have to consider. Ohh, and don't bother setting a budget unless you are hell-bent on it. My 5.0 parts gather started 1.5 years ago with a $2000 budget, and now with the motor being rebuilt and mostly done it has come close to $5000 for just engine/trans parts cost.

IMO, I'd buy a clean 5.0 Fox or later 4.6 GT/Cobra.
thats what I also was thinking I know I would break my budget if I went that route because I do want to keep the 4wd, it comes in handy around here. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2009
My91Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 2,252
Its alot of work to do a 5.0 swap. It takes alot of time and research. There is no reason the 5.0 can't be reliable as a daily driver. I drive mine every single day. Your not 2 far from me, if you want we could have a mini meet sometime and you can see what its like to have a 5.0 in a ranger and see if the power difference is even worth it 2 you.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-19-2009
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
I'd buy the mustang honestly. Unless you already have another vehicle to drive while the ranger is being operated on.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2009
BigRedDog's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Quad Cities (IA/IL)
Posts: 498
Definitely buy a mustang.

It'll be more fun to drive than a 5.0 Ranger IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2009
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Ya. my thinking was if I put the 5.0L in the truck I would have the goods of both worlds in one vehicle. But then I was thinking today with school and my mowing business I won't have much time to think of this and work on it during the summer. Its going to take alot of research and time like Rob said. Like I said earlier I think I'm going to have to be patient and stick it out a couple more years and go with option C. I'm keeping the ranger as long as its still beating, even after I graduate.

Thanks for the advice guys
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2009
Focer's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sandy, OR
Posts: 143
i had an 99 Mountaineer with the 5.0, it was AWD but i think it felt weeker than our v6's
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heater not working/not shifting right conrad General Technical & Electrical 7 01-20-2011 06:35 PM
Well... it's not a Ranger... hell, it's not even a Ford DetroitStyle Project Logs 30 11-03-2009 09:00 PM
Not 1, Not 2, but 3 broken CV's!! HAHA! rngprerunner Drivetrain Tech 12 12-07-2008 10:49 PM
Not sure if it's a problem or not jtfoxman Drivetrain Tech 3 09-04-2008 02:43 PM
Not sure if this is normal or not Srkasner Drivetrain Tech 9 08-06-2007 08:49 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.