Best Spark Plugs - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-11-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cloudcroft, NM
Posts: 4
Best Spark Plugs

What are the best spark plugs for my 2005 Ranger, V6, 4.0?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
NGK or Motorcraft. Same thing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2008
02oregonedge+'s Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: OR!
Posts: 1,086
^x2
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-11-2008
elementsenjoi's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 352 Florida
Posts: 1,301
x3 on Motorcraft

Last edited by elementsenjoi; 11-11-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-11-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
NGK or Motorcraft. Same thing.

wrong, autolite makes motorcraft spark plugs.

NGK plugs are not the same. i'm sure they make some that will work in your engine, but personally i would stick with motorcrafts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-11-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE View Post
wrong, autolite makes motorcraft spark plugs.

NGK plugs are not the same. i'm sure they make some that will work in your engine, but personally i would stick with motorcrafts.
No, Honeywell, a division of Allied Signal, makes Autolite, and Motorcraft plugs. Motorcraft is the only MFG. that makes a unique P/N (heat range) for the 4.0L. ALL other MFG's call out the same P/N for the 2.3L, 3.0L, and 4.0L.

Stay with Motorcraft double platinums, or fine wire platinums.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-11-2008
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2008
BlutoBodine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 543
For your '05

NGK Iridium IX - 7243 (4.0L)
NGK Iridium IX - 7397 (3.0L)
NGK Iridium IX - 7164 (2.3L)

JMO

...or the factory plug.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2008
Goodysgotacuda's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,496
NGK, I used to run Autolite until they decided to leave the country and go to China. Atleast Japan makes some nice stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Kodiak, Alaska
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
NGK, I used to run Autolite until they decided to leave the country and go to China. Atleast Japan makes some nice stuff.
The Autolites I just bought are stamped "Made in USA."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2008
Gallo75's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mexicali Baja California,
Posts: 456
for a Ford? Motorcraft FTW!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2008
Crunchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hull, Quebec
Posts: 486
I bought Motorcraft yesterday.

By the way, are these supposed to be pregapped, or do I have to go buy a gapper?

And a tidbit of info I found on Wiki:

Quote:
Motorcraft:
The Ford Motor Company launched the auto parts division in 1972 to provide quality replacement parts and original equipment parts. This brand replaced Autolite as Ford's official parts brand. Autolite is still a brand name in use today, but is now owned by Honeywell.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2008
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Crunchy, you should at least check the gap. And MAKE SURE you don't put any pressure on the center electrode. Flex *only* the ground strap with pressure from your hand and tool. Don't use that center electrode to put lever against.

btw, the "best" plug for a stock 4.0L is a Denso IT16 I have a set of IT20's in mine which are one range colder because of nitrous. Check out my spark web page.

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
I bought Motorcraft yesterday.

By the way, are these supposed to be pregapped, or do I have to go buy a gapper?

And a tidbit of info I found on Wiki:

Crunchy, Motorcrafts are the best plugs to use! The heat range will be correct with the Motorcrafts. If you bought the double platinums, there is also a platinum bead on the ground electrode, be careful of it when you check the gap. Buy the wire-type gapping tool, NOT the circular gapping tool.


Use one of these types of gap gauges:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00940816000P


http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00993925000P


DO NOT use this type of gap gauge:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999827000P

Last edited by Takeda; 11-27-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2008
Crunchy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hull, Quebec
Posts: 486
I see the little bead on the ground electrode, but on the plug, it only says platinum. Are these double platinums or what?

I got them from the dealer, told him my year and engine and he gave me those. He said they were different from what I have in there, meaning the thread in part looks different, but he said they changed the design.

I have the wire type guage, but its for my g/f's car, I need one that has thicker wires. Also, thanks for telling me about the coin type guage. I was actually looking for mine yesterday, but I gave up and assume I lost it.

I had to ask, cause for my g/f's corolla, the dealer insisted not to regap the plugs, run them as is, even when I mentioned to him the plugs were overgapped about 5 sizes. I put them in as is, and all is fine. I will check mine tonight, gotta go buy that guage.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
I see the little bead on the ground electrode, but on the plug, it only says platinum. Are these double platinums or what?

I got them from the dealer, told him my year and engine and he gave me those. He said they were different from what I have in there, meaning the thread in part looks different, but he said they changed the design.

I have the wire type guage, but its for my g/f's car, I need one that has thicker wires. Also, thanks for telling me about the coin type guage. I was actually looking for mine yesterday, but I gave up and assume I lost it.

I had to ask, cause for my g/f's corolla, the dealer insisted not to regap the plugs, run them as is, even when I mentioned to him the plugs were overgapped about 5 sizes. I put them in as is, and all is fine. I will check mine tonight, gotta go buy that guage.
Yes, they are double platinums!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl View Post
Crunchy, you should at least check the gap. And MAKE SURE you don't put any pressure on the center electrode. Flex *only* the ground strap with pressure from your hand and tool. Don't use that center electrode to put lever against.

btw, the "best" plug for a stock 4.0L is a Denso IT16 I have a set of IT20's in mine which are one range colder because of nitrous. Check out my spark web page.

Rich
Rich, since your Ranger is your DD, why would you run the WRONG heat range plugs most of the time, since you use nitrous a very small percentage of the time? Even the heat range of the IT16's is only "close" (called out for the 2.3L, 3.0L, and 4.0L) where there are 3 different Motorcraft heat ranges called out for the 2.3L, 3.0L, and 4.0L.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-27-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Takeda, You'll never ' get it '. You never will.

Denso IT16's have no issues running in both normal and colder ranges when needed. Free your mind, forget ' OEM is best ' for once.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-27-2008
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Takeda, You'll never ' get it '. You never will.

Denso IT16's have no issues running in both normal and colder ranges when needed. Free your mind, forget ' OEM is best ' for once.

D, obviously, anybody that runs a 160F thermostat would have a hard time comprehending spark plug heat ranges......
The point I was making, the 2.3L, 3.0L, and 4.0L engines are designed for three different heat range plugs. At one time NGK
called out the same P/N plug for these three engines, they now have three different P/Ns like the Motorcrafts.

Besides IT16 is one heat range, IT20 is a COLDER heat range...

And remember, you run coppers, NOT IRIDIUM, which is what the IT16 & IT20 Densos are...

Last edited by Takeda; 11-27-2008 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spark Plugs Wires & Spark Plugs vancouverisland 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 8 07-26-2017 12:28 AM
best spark plugs ? rangeredge_03 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 12 11-14-2007 02:33 PM
Whats the best Spark Plugs Steve_O113 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 06-15-2007 05:41 PM
New Spark Plugs - Better MPG - Halo Plugs SnowWhite 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 05-29-2007 06:06 AM
Best Spark Plugs for the Money jlaporte0487 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 26 03-12-2007 11:24 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.