Dear Ford engineering... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 02-24-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
ford only bad idea for plugs was the 3v 5.4 f-that
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by annguyen1981 View Post
Chrysler Cirrus
Yamaha YZF-R6s



These are two vehicles that I will never change plugs for again. NIGHTMARE.
Chrysler Cirrus and most fwd v6 are easy just pull the intake mani off. 3L taurus just pull it off and they are looking at you
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Roadster View Post
I had the 68 also it was a Grande' coupe with the 390 and on it you could see the plugs on the 67 you couldn't see were the wires ended they just went over the valve cover and disappeared. The 68 was at least an inch wider on both sides between the shock towers than the 67
Another bad ford was the round nineties Taurus with the 3.8 liter V6 you couldn't get to the passenger side rear plug unless you pulled the motor.
Odd.

I did a headgasket job on a 1992 Mercury Sable that I owned for a short time (a fix n flipper), and I don't recall the sparkplugs being that hard to get at.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-26-2011
Turbo Roadster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Odd.

I did a headgasket job on a 1992 Mercury Sable that I owned for a short time (a fix n flipper), and I don't recall the sparkplugs being that hard to get at.
Was it a 3.0 or 3.8 It was an ex-girlfriends Taurus and doing it in her garage so no jack or jack stands didn't think I would need to go from underneath but you sure couldn't get it from the top. I remember struggling with the one plug for so long she only got five new ones.

Last edited by Turbo Roadster; 02-26-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-26-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: aspers, PA
Posts: 801
wow she only got five new ones, sounds just like a woman to me lol, but yeah heaven forbid ford makes vehicles were everything is easy to get too, i mean for god sakes i found lock tight on the scrows holding my tps and they were phillips heads too i mean hex heads would be too easy. lol
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-28-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Roadster View Post
Was it a 3.0 or 3.8 It was an ex-girlfriends Taurus and doing it in her garage so no jack or jack stands didn't think I would need to go from underneath but you sure couldn't get it from the top. I remember struggling with the one plug for so long she only got five new ones.
It was the 3.8. There is some bracketry that bolts to the exhaust manifold on the back that gets in the way, but nothing crazy like a Windstar 3.0L.

Then again, I put them in after I had bolted the heads down, before the intake or valvecovers were on it, so there was some extra room.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-02-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: aspers, PA
Posts: 801
yeah point is there is no reason that ford should desine a vehicle the you have to rip halfe the engin off to replace parts
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-02-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
You really need to get out and see what the other manufactures are doing.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-02-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Its been in my experience that these engineers don't think that far ahead. I have a cousin who is an engineer that designs that kind of stuff in the engine and according to him, they just take the drawing they're given, and make it fit into the car. Engineers don't think about having to fix them.

I once met a guy who came to our service shop to take a look at i think it was one of the new hybrid escapes casue it had issues that nobody had encountered before, and when we told him what we had to do to get to like the backside of the battery pack to get these two bolts that held something or another in, he was appalled, he had no idea that they were in a bad spot, and he was part of the team that designed this crap!
Sometimes you just need to show them engineers how hard it is to do something and they'll fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-02-2011
tml4761's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 119
ford is NOT the onley one doing this....look at dodge and chevy
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-02-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4761 View Post
ford is NOT the onley one doing this....look at dodge and chevy
Hah, look at any German car ever made. Those are by far the worst.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2011
tml4761's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: wisconsin
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Hah, look at any German car ever made. Those are by far the worst.

yeah I bet there real nightmares to work on everthing must be in MM!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-03-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4761 View Post
yeah I bet there real nightmares to work on everthing must be in MM!
Half of the American cars are in MM now too.
don't let anybody fool you, when the world swapped over to the Metric system, America did too.
good example: The Chrysler K car. no two bolts were the same at that car. the one that held the fender could be found in the hood when you fixed another one.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-03-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml4761 View Post
yeah I bet there real nightmares to work on everthing must be in MM!
Pshaw, everything's been Metric since the early 1990's.

Ze Germans and the Jap/Korean stuff has always been metric. American cars switched in the early '90s. I barely have any standard tools in my toolbox, everything's metric. That isn't a big deal though. Who cares if the bolt head is 1/2" or 13mm? (13mm is a ****-hair bigger than 1/2"). I don't. I don't even own a standard tap and die set, only metric.


It's how they design **** that pisses me off. The fact that they LOVE triple square fasteners means I have to go buy sockets that work only on their cars. JUNK! They also love to use Torx fasteners, and those aren't fun. Even my Snap-On torx bits break from time to time, it's a **** design!

Lug bolts **** me off to no end, too. Ze Krauts think wheel studs are inferior or something.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-03-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Pshaw, everything's been Metric since the early 1990's.

Ze Germans and the Jap/Korean stuff has always been metric. American cars switched in the early '90s. I barely have any standard tools in my toolbox, everything's metric. That isn't a big deal though. Who cares if the bolt head is 1/2" or 13mm? (13mm is a ****-hair bigger than 1/2"). I don't. I don't even own a standard tap and die set, only metric.


It's how they design **** that pisses me off. The fact that they LOVE triple square fasteners means I have to go buy sockets that work only on their cars. JUNK! They also love to use Torx fasteners, and those aren't fun. Even my Snap-On torx bits break from time to time, it's a **** design!

Lug bolts **** me off to no end, too. Ze Krauts think wheel studs are inferior or something.

Preach it!
my biggest pet peeve is Fans, everybody and their grandmother makes a special "one-time" use tool to remove a fan. and its usually like a 30 dollar socket.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-03-2011
powerranger262's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 1,222
So back to the original post.

Step 1 - Remove inner fender plastic
Name:  DSCF1966.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.4 KB

Step 2 - BAM! Right in ya face!
Name:  DSCF1975.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  85.6 KB

I don't know how it can get any easier.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-03-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
I just put the socketwrench up there without removing any of that, not like you have to see it to do it
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-03-2011
powerranger262's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 1,222
It's way easier to just pull a couple screws and pull that thing out of there. You can stick your hole damn head in there.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh Dear! DangerRanger96 DOHC - 2.3L Duratec / Mazda L Engines 13 09-24-2011 03:06 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.