Do it yourselfer's beware.... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-24-2010
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj wayne View Post
I just had a bunch of work done to my truck. Oil change, new battery, new front brake pads, steering stabalizer link pins, wheel bearing re-packed with grease, and luckily I had the money to have it done professionally by a mechanics with professional lifts and tools. Nobody got hurt, I didn't lose any body parts, it cost me a few bucks but so what, it's all done now, and it's all done right.


Darn it I haven't gone to oil change school or battery replacement school. And all my tools aren't professional, that sucks cause I paid good money for them!!

I think it comes down to there's different types of people. People who will pay for services to get done because they lack the fortitude to do it themselves and people who view this as a challenge to accomplish themselves.

Here I'm replacing glass window panels on the third story of a house, my friend is holding onto me by my leg to keep me from going over. We could've paid a professional possibly 2000$+ to do it but we saved a ton of money doing it ourselves plus I learned a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-24-2010
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
^^^I've been on a 3 story roof walking on a 2x6 nailed to the peak of the roof sections attempting to do a chimney repair...I will never do that again.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
Darn it I haven't gone to oil change school or battery replacement school. And all my tools aren't professional, that sucks cause I paid good money for them!!

I think it comes down to there's different types of people. People who will pay for services to get done because they lack the fortitude to do it themselves and people who view this as a challenge to accomplish themselves.

Here I'm replacing glass window panels on the third story of a house, my friend is holding onto me by my leg to keep me from going over. We could've paid a professional possibly 2000$+ to do it but we saved a ton of money doing it ourselves plus I learned a lot.
No I pay to get it done so it gets done right, by pros who do this everyday. I don't have the tool collection, the lifts, the garage to do it at home, Actually where I live I'm not permited to work on vehicles. On top of all that I have a bad back, COPD, and bad heart, and not physically able to do that type of work anymore. It's cheaper for me to pay a mechanic to do the jobs I need than to build a whole huge collection of tools. So why bother ??
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-24-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj wayne View Post
No I pay to get it done so it gets done right, by pros who do this everyday. I don't have the tool collection, the lifts, the garage to do it at home, Actually where I live I'm not permited to work on vehicles. On top of all that I have a bad back, COPD, and bad heart, and not physically able to do that type of work anymore. It's cheaper for me to pay a mechanic to do the jobs I need than to build a whole huge collection of tools. So why bother ??
In your case it makes sense. But don't look down and talk down upon folks like myself that are very competent in the things we do and do them safely. We like to work on our own stuff because well, we enjoy it(and hate it at the same time lol), we have the knowledge and are gaining the experience and in the end, we're all saving money and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment by doing it ourself. Plus, we did the work so we know it's done right. Much like the way you pay someone and assume it's done right.

In all honesty, the people whom are home mechanics and do get hurt, it's usually their own darn fault...Negligence and stupidity are the two main factors. Harsh reality and I'm sorry for anyone reading this and lost someone close in the lines of this topic. But it's the harsh truth.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
I wasn't talking down to anybody.....it was posted as a warning, to alert people of the dangers. Learn by this one guy's mistake.

I think it's been a very healthy discussion, to bring awareness to the potential danger.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-24-2010
01_ranger_4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I don't need a jack to change my oil, its very nice lol
same here, lifted trucks ftw!! lol i do all my repair work myself. it saves me a butt load of money, dont have to worry about anybody effing up my rig and i know it gets quality parts. not to mention the satisfaction of knowing you can fix your own stuff in a pinch and not have to rely on other people to do it for you. i wont stop working on my own stuff because there is danger involved, thats silly. its dangerous to drive to work everyday but millions of poeple do that everyday. common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-24-2010
ranger4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cambridge, ontario
Posts: 3,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I don't need to "beware"....I'm not stupid enough to allow what happened to him happen to me.




It's his own damn fault for being stupid getting under a vehicle just held up by a jack. Jackstands have a purpose. Use 'em!!

Add wheel chocks to the list of things that need used in conjunction with jackstands.
fully agree
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-24-2010
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
In your case it makes sense. But don't look down and talk down upon folks like myself that are very competent in the things we do and do them safely. We like to work on our own stuff because well, we enjoy it(and hate it at the same time lol), we have the knowledge and are gaining the experience and in the end, we're all saving money and enjoy the feeling of accomplishment by doing it ourself. Plus, we did the work so we know it's done right. Much like the way you pay someone and assume it's done right.

In all honesty, the people whom are home mechanics and do get hurt, it's usually their own darn fault...Negligence and stupidity are the two main factors. Harsh reality and I'm sorry for anyone reading this and lost someone close in the lines of this topic. But it's the harsh truth.
Couldn't have said it better.

I use jack stands and my jack and sometimes I'll put a huge log under a LCA on the side I'm working on, just to feel a little safer.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-24-2010
steveo1271's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: lexington,sc
Posts: 780
the only way i can really see a car falling on you is if you put the jack or jackstands in the wrong spot,i've been up under my truck before with it jacked up and trying to break a bolt/nut free and noticed the truck rocking a little while i was pulling on the rachet,but i was smart enough to go to plan b and get wood blocks to make it more stable,but it dosent stop me from fixin my own stuff. just gotta be smart
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-24-2010
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
This is a favorite shot from another forum that makes me really LOL at the stupidity...




Truck is on a hill sideways. Stands narrower than frame. Stands not on sturdy ground(plywood or something would be nice). Stands not perpendicular to the ground and not parallel to each other. One decent blow with a mallet or even slipping off a breaker bar and that truck is on top of ya. And not the good on top of ya either. This picture = sketch.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-24-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Upstate,NY
Posts: 2,598
Mr. Darwin and Mr. Murphy are always either looking over one's shoulder or lurking just around the corner.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo1271 View Post
the only way i can really see a car falling on you is if you put the jack or jackstands in the wrong spot,i've been up under my truck before with it jacked up and trying to break a bolt/nut free and noticed the truck rocking a little while i was pulling on the rachet,but i was smart enough to go to plan b and get wood blocks to make it more stable,but it dosent stop me from fixin my own stuff. just gotta be smart


Ya I've done that too, but jack stands weren't avaiable and I watched the vehicle slowly come down as the jack tilted. Luckily I wasn't under the vehicle. This can happen very easily just changing a tire.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-24-2010
87xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: In my truck!
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
This is a favorite shot from another forum that makes me really LOL at the stupidity...




Truck is on a hill sideways. Stands narrower than frame. Stands not on sturdy ground(plywood or something would be nice). Stands not perpendicular to the ground and not parallel to each other. One decent blow with a mallet or even slipping off a breaker bar and that truck is on top of ya. And not the good on top of ya either. This picture = sketch.
Yea that is why we built this.....
Name:  100_2890.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  277.8 KB
I would have thrown the tires under the truck so when NOT IF it falls it wont go all the way down and cut you in half.....
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-24-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
That's a nifty looking paint booth you got there. Hope no bugs get into your paint !!

Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-25-2010
Masteratarms93's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Goose Creek SC
Posts: 4,685
Lol who would jack up a Ranger to change oil. I do it on my stock size 2WD without moving the truck and inch. I just lay down under the tranny and the exhaust and go at it.

And lol at not putting jack stand under control arms. Ford put frikin tabs on the control for the jack stands lol.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-25-2010
hozII's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: athens, Al
Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I don't need to "beware"....I'm not stupid enough to allow what happened to him happen to me.




It's his own damn fault for being stupid getting under a vehicle just held up by a jack. Jackstands have a purpose. Use 'em!!

Add wheel chocks to the list of things that need used in conjunction with jackstands.
AHMEN x10 to the 3rd power!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-25-2010
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Level2 View Post
Thats what jackstands are made for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago View Post
Jackstands or ramps. It's not rocket science! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteratarms93 View Post
Never get under a car support by only a jack. Says it on your car, in your manual, on your jack, on your jack stands...........
they don't call em' widow makers for nothing....


Quote:
Originally Posted by dj wayne View Post
Yep, he may lose his arm by trying to save $10 on an oil change.
then he should have done it right in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-26-2010
darangerdanger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: scappoose.oregon
Posts: 1,169
figure i'll throw in my 2cents here too as far as jackstands and safety. shane said it too but i'll add! if you're working outside on pavement on a hot day make sure you use some plywood under the stands. i've seen people not do this and and leave it there for a few days to find the stands have sunk into the concrete. using plywood distributes the weight more evenly and prevents this from happening.

i work on semi tires and this trick also comes in handy and you could probably find one in the scrapyard for cheap. we always throw a steel semi wheel or drum under the axle or rear diff on cars when we don't have them on a lift. or even one under each side of the frame. even with other safetly measures you know it will at least fall onto that and not on you

just be safe people and know your limits. if you don't know the correct ways to support your truck don't crawl under it capiche?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-26-2010
Needforspeed3685's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 1,836
Wait...so you're saying this wasn't a good idea either?

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-26-2010
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,029
^^that's fine, he has the wheel blocked and a backup board. No problem
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Skyjacker - My Weekend Work (56k Beware) Du510 Suspension Tech 15 10-31-2007 06:06 AM
Beware aluminum underdrive pulley. eguy208 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 0 03-24-2007 11:00 PM
Finished the fabbing on my 9"... tons of photos.. 56k'ers beware! rngprerunner Drivetrain Tech 18 02-05-2007 06:22 PM
Xm users beware 2003stealthedge Audio & Video Tech 30 03-20-2006 12:05 AM
Magnaflow custom bent exhaust installed - 56k beware bskouby 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 18 08-19-2005 01:33 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.