Exhaust - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-25-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lebanon, CT
Posts: 9
Exhaust

I need a new exhaust on my truck, Cat and muffler. ('85 2.8V6) What do you guys have? i want something that sounds good, but isn't too loud. Has anyone run cat without muffler? or muffler without cat? my buddy has a flowmaster super 40 on his dakota that sounds pretty good. any suggestions? the cheeper the better, as usual. lol
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Well the flow would be the loudest option. I know allot of people are happy with the Gibson exhaust, it is quiet and goes together pretty well (from what I understand)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2007
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 32
No Cats!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2007
04BlackFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Maine
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygooseranger
Well the flow would be the loudest option. I know allot of people are happy with the Gibson exhaust, it is quiet and goes together pretty well (from what I understand)
yeah go with the gibson.. its not as loud and annoying as the flowmaster is..me personally, after owning a ranger with the flow 40 it really gets annoying...sure i liked it for the first month or 2 but after awhile on long trips its a migrane..the drone is horrible and there is no performance gain.. save up a little and get like a borla exhaust or magnaflow. Borla is a very good muffler that offers good sound and performance..

oh and flowmaster is made mainly for trucks with V8's.. but you can put it on a ranger..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Kid17
yeah go with the gibson.. its not as loud and annoying as the flowmaster is..me personally, after owning a ranger with the flow 40 it really gets annoying...sure i liked it for the first month or 2 but after awhile on long trips its a migrane..the drone is horrible and there is no performance gain.. save up a little and get like a borla exhaust or magnaflow. Borla is a very good muffler that offers good sound and performance..

oh and flowmaster is made mainly for trucks with V8's.. but you can put it on a ranger..
Don't tell him there is no performance gain because there is! I have a flow 40 on my truck now and I notice better performance and better fuel economy. It may not be as big a gain as a magnaflow (from what I understand) but it is still better than stock. Some complain about the droning but it never really bothered me. Its all on what you want. You want maximum performance, get the magnaflow, you want the most sound and some performance gain, get the flowmaster. You want some performance gain without the noise, get the gibson.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
x2 i noticed the same thing right away with a cold air with it. i agree with him and MY flowmaster i cna bearly hear only if i'm driveing with windows down and arouns 2k-2.5k in rpms.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger88
No Cats!!!!
i don't like people like you, theres NO reason to take a catalytic converter off and not replace it.
with today catalytic converter technology, they are free flowing and non-restrictive.

i don't care if your from michigan, i still think your an idiot.
if you had any idea what a catalytic converter does, you would think twice about taking it off.

this one goes out to you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2007
5speedin2.3's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Livonia, Mi
Posts: 12
on topic, i had a flowmaster 40 series on my truck and it was dumped.
it was cool but i hated how loud it was and the drone.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2007
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 32
on the older trucks like his the cat just clogs up and make the truck run like crap. trust me i took mine off at 10k and got almost 250k out of it. my buddy had one and kept his on and only got about 150k. when u take them off the older trucks it lets them breath better, and i got better gas mileage.


so go f**k urself bud
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-27-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
oo its getting fun in here lol.

and yes if u do dump it, it will be louder and drone relly lound in the cab. when you do tips out the back its a LOT better. and you cna move the muffler back as far as you can go if you get a custom installed
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-27-2007
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger88
on the older trucks like his the cat just clogs up and make the truck run like crap. trust me i took mine off at 10k and got almost 250k out of it. my buddy had one and kept his on and only got about 150k. when u take them off the older trucks it lets them breath better, and i got better gas mileage.


so go f**k urself bud
What are you talking about 250K and 150K? You mean miles on the truck? Taking the cat off will not extend the life of your vehicle. His could have been clogged as they do wear out....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exhaust popping, loss of acceleration, & white smoke from exhaust 1994 Ranger XLT SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines 13 04-27-2012 04:28 PM
Exhaust and Exhaust tip question beefcake morris 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 11 07-16-2009 01:52 PM
stock exhaust/new exhaust questions DillonT General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 03-18-2008 02:00 PM
leds in exhaust thelowranger General Technical & Electrical 25 08-02-2004 10:17 AM
need help choosing exhaust!! Sonic04Edge General Ford Ranger Discussion 25 06-19-2004 11:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:46 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.