Got my awesome 10K lb HF winch today. Post you winch pics! - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-13-2010
t0x1k's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerdale, NJ
Posts: 290
Got my awesome 10K lb HF winch today. Post you winch pics!

Harbor freight is having their annual sidewalk sale. I picked it up at a store in woodbridge, va. Last one in the store, it was actually on hold, but someone never put it in the back to be held, so i walked out with it for less than 300, sale price was 300. I got it for 239, with the 69.99 2 year replacement plan, plus 20% off!

So, I'm on vacation now, but I need to know how to mount it without removing and building a bumper. Is it possible to mount it behind the stock bumper ant the fairlead on the outside? If anyone can post some pics that would be awesome.


PS, does anyone own a white ranger with a soft bed cover, after market black taillights, and the bottom half blacked/bedlinered, and from vermont?
I was following you down i95 for a good hour or so, I was the little pink car with the bikes on the back.

sorry for the crappy writing, i'm on a tiny netbook and i've got some big hands.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x1k View Post
Harbor freight is having their annual sidewalk sale. I picked it up at a store in woodbridge, va. Last one in the store, it was actually on hold, but someone never put it in the back to be held, so i walked out with it for less than 300, sale price was 300. I got it for 239, with the 69.99 2 year replacement plan, plus 20% off!

So, I'm on vacation now, but I need to know how to mount it without removing and building a bumper. Is it possible to mount it behind the stock bumper ant the fairlead on the outside? If anyone can post some pics that would be awesome.


PS, does anyone own a white ranger with a soft bed cover, after market black taillights, and the bottom half blacked/bedlinered, and from vermont?
I was following you down i95 for a good hour or so, I was the little pink car with the bikes on the back.

sorry for the crappy writing, i'm on a tiny netbook and i've got some big hands.
This is what I will be doing!!!! Then I can use it in the front or rear of the truck, never know what position your going to get stuck in.

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: WARN Front Receiver

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: Winch Carrier
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2010
t0x1k's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerdale, NJ
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX View Post
This is what I will be doing!!!! Then I can use it in the front or rear of the truck, never know what position your going to get stuck in.

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: WARN Front Receiver

Warn Industries - Mounting Systems: Winch Carrier
Yeah, looks good, I do want to install a rear hitch, but I like the whole stealth look behind the bumper.
I don't think I will be getting stuck much, I stick to trails mainly so If i got stuck there's plenty of places in front of me to winch off of. I'm gonna use it as way to make friends too. A winch is like a flag saying I wanna go muddin'.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2010
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-19-2010
t0x1k's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerdale, NJ
Posts: 290

Ok, here's the fairlead set up, I have to trim the front piece, obviously. I'm going to round it out and make it shorter. I'm going to reinforce the back to prevent bowing.
The fairlead peice of steel will bolt on to the winch holder, the winch will be mounted to the steel as in picture #3.

1/4 steel plate bent to fit in between the frame rails and use the existing bumper mounting holes and using high grade bolts. From there I will design my front bumper from C channel steel with the winch set back into the bumper for protection.

The winch in all her glory, she's heavy as hell.

And here's my plan for the bumper when I get around to it.


Any tips and comments are welcome. I want this to be strong.


Can someone move this to fabrication?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: fort meade, md
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0x1k View Post
Harbor freight is having their annual sidewalk sale. I picked it up at a store in woodbridge, va. Last one in the store, it was actually on hold, but someone never put it in the back to be held, so i walked out with it for less than 300, sale price was 300. I got it for 239, with the 69.99 2 year replacement plan, plus 20% off!
I got the second to last one from there had to drive hour and 45 mins to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2011
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
I'm not sure what would be best with the way you're wanting to mount it. The silver bars on the winch look like they might be in the way, the way you want to mount it. Also, you'll be putting the bolts under a tension load instead of a shear load like most mounting configurations. At least that's what the 3rd picture shows, if I'm understanding you correctly.


Also, I'd gusset the hell out of that fairlead mount and/or box the top of it in. You could still slide the winch in/out from either end.


GB :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-09-2011
Liftedgreen4x4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lorton,virginia
Posts: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo View Post
I'm not sure what would be best with the way you're wanting to mount it. The silver bars on the winch look like they might be in the way, the way you want to mount it. Also, you'll be putting the bolts under a tension load instead of a shear load like most mounting configurations. At least that's what the 3rd picture shows, if I'm understanding you correctly.


Also, I'd gusset the hell out of that fairlead mount and/or box the top of it in. You could still slide the winch in/out from either end.


GB :)
Look at his avatar it appears he already has it mounted..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-2011
3.0ranger1227's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: La Jolla, CA
Posts: 42
I wonder if someone could make a winch box behind the stock bumper and then french the fairlead in so it was flush with the bumper, with the cable coming through the lower slot in the valance on the newer trucks. You could probably also get one of the fairleads that holds your license plate and no one would know you had a winch. Would be awesome but I'm not sure there is room.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2011
t0x1k's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Somerdale, NJ
Posts: 290
Someone raised this from the dead.
I've beat the living crap out of this winch, yet to fail me, and my mount, still holding strong.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2011
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
Oh snap. I didn't even notice the dates. lol



GB :)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to Buy: Ford Ranger 2004+ / $10k / Santa Clara, CA V12StealthHunter Miscellaneous Items 0 07-17-2013 02:07 AM
Stormy weather pics. Post'em if you got'em Sonic04Edge Snapshots 14 08-09-2010 11:35 PM
Ordering Hids 12K or 10K? 55W russian General Ford Ranger Discussion 29 02-18-2010 02:06 PM
Awesome Knife, Awesome People Jp7 Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 7 04-15-2009 06:35 PM
10k Miles, what should I do? SparkYZ 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 10 05-16-2008 10:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:17 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.