gravel/mud to pavement - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 04-18-2007
98rang's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX
Yawn!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-22-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
New Videos

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-22-2007
yellow rhino's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CA Westlake Village
Posts: 1,771
Dude, chill the **** out. Everyones given you ideas but it seems like you already know what the problem is by using process of elimination.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-22-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rhino
Dude, chill the **** out. Everyones given you ideas but it seems like you already know what the problem is by using process of elimination.
How in the f-u-c-k am i NOT CHILLING OUT by my easy-non threatening NEW post??? WTF ARE U TALKING ABOUT??? JEEZZUS H CH-RI-ST

stop posting on my thread and grow some *****. DAMN GIRLIE MEN
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-22-2007
bryanjints's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Posts: 1,857
^^^^Wow seriously we all are not mechanics. We try just give some guys a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-22-2007
06fx4 L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 430
i caint imagine that being a bearing noise... BUT if you just had the transmission replaced about 30 days ago and this noise started im guessing about 25 days ago. i would take it back to whomever installed he tranny (hoping you didnt do it cause then theres no warentee) but after the tans and tcase is checked out do to the recent removal i would go for the front hubs... especially if they are those horrid vaccume hubs.. theres two ways to diagnose this noise... one when its making the noise drive up on a lift and "drive" the vehicle when its in the air and see where the noise is comming from.. or two.. dissable things sytematically till you find somehting chewed up, because by the sound of it something is going to be screwed up pretty bad...


good luck, JOSH
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-22-2007
bryanjints's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Posts: 1,857
Sounds to me like your front hubs are not unlocking fully. But like he said have the garage that did the tranny work check it out and have them tell you what is wrong. But don't let them charge you.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-23-2007
Buck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 134
Just my two cents....I used to have a nissan that had the auto locking hubs and one weekend on a hunting trip they decided to stop working and wouldnt disengage! I had to drive back to town after the trip, on the freeway, in 4 high. It was hella ghey. anyways, I would guess the auto hubs not disengaging properly or something with the t-case. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fx4 L2
i caint imagine that being a bearing noise... BUT if you just had the transmission replaced about 30 days ago and this noise started im guessing about 25 days ago. i would take it back to whomever installed he tranny (hoping you didnt do it cause then theres no warentee) but after the tans and tcase is checked out do to the recent removal i would go for the front hubs... especially if they are those horrid vaccume hubs.. theres two ways to diagnose this noise... one when its making the noise drive up on a lift and "drive" the vehicle when its in the air and see where the noise is comming from.. or two.. dissable things sytematically till you find somehting chewed up, because by the sound of it something is going to be screwed up pretty bad...


good luck, JOSH
I had the issue off and on before I had my tranny overhauled, I have been just letting it go until I could get to it.

I like the lift idea alot but i wonder if it will do it when there will be no weight or extreme grip like on pavement?hum Thanks, I am leaning more and more to SOMETHING NOT DISENGAGING PROPERLY when I take it out of 4 wheel drive,,if my HUB was shot then my left front tire would not of carried me up that creek bank earlier today,throwing mud all the way! Thanks for your input
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanjints
Sounds to me like your front hubs are not unlocking fully. But like he said have the garage that did the tranny work check it out and have them tell you what is wrong. But don't let them charge you.
Do you happen to know JUST what makes the hub unlock completely? vacuum? t/case ? can you have a BAD hub just in a different area of the hub and still have functional 4 wheel drive? Thanks man
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-23-2007
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
get some manual hubs from the junkyard, see if that fixes it.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 767
Wading through all the BS, here's my $.02.

When it does it, look underneath and see if your front drive shaft is turning.
It should NOT be turning in 2WD.

Then jack up the side you suspect (LF, IIRC) and spin that wheel. If it turns the front driveshaft, that hub is not disengaged. Spin it backwards, see if it disengages.

I'm reading through the 97 Manual, which should operate the same as yours. From what I gather in a quick scan, your front hubs are engaged by the front drive shaft spinning after the transfer case engages. Then, you must back up at least 10 feet to "unwind" the hubs after transfer case disengagement.

That's where your problem lies. Backing up does not seem to disengage your hub (and it seems to mysteriously re-engage after disengagement). Figure out which side it is (by jacking it up) and repair that hub.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-23-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl43P
Wading through all the BS, here's my $.02.

When it does it, look underneath and see if your front drive shaft is turning.
It should NOT be turning in 2WD.

Then jack up the side you suspect (LF, IIRC) and spin that wheel. If it turns the front driveshaft, that hub is not disengaged. Spin it backwards, see if it disengages.

I'm reading through the 97 Manual, which should operate the same as yours. From what I gather in a quick scan, your front hubs are engaged by the front drive shaft spinning after the transfer case engages. Then, you must back up at least 10 feet to "unwind" the hubs after transfer case disengagement.

That's where your problem lies. Backing up does not seem to disengage your hub (and it seems to mysteriously re-engage after disengagement). Figure out which side it is (by jacking it up) and repair that hub.
I am heading out to do that now with a friend! Hope I don't get run over,lmao

On a side note I guess I am confused about ur manual possibly saying that a 1997 ranger needs to be put in reverse to disengage the hubs??? humm I have a 1996 shift on the fly 4 wheel drive automatic locking hubs and unless I am missing something huge I should NEVER have to put it in reverse to take it out of 4 wheel drive UNLESS something is MALFUNCTIONING, Isn't that why they came out with the ( electronic transfer case with automatic locking hubs?) I am going to call ford and go look at my manual about this backing up thing so I can get the SIMPLE FACTS! Thanks man
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-23-2007
06fx4 L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SO CAL
Posts: 430
a hub can lock but be sticking when being released.... it only needs to be engaged half way to make that noise... if it was stuck all the way in lock it wouldnt make noise.. and if it wasent working like you so stated here.. "if my HUB was shot then my left front tire would not of carried me up that creek bank earlier today,throwing mud all the way! Thanks for your input" then it wouldent be making noise...

Thanks for your input!

JOSH
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-24-2007
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
I have that same thing on my ranger, i whined about it all over the place and everyone said i was dilusional. dealer said its normal.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-24-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
I have that same thing on my ranger, i whined about it all over the place and everyone said i was delusional. dealer said its normal.
lmaoooooooo

Fact = If you have to put your truck in reverse to do what your electronic transfer case/automatic locking hubs are suppose to do , well then SOMETHING IS BROKE!! OR NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

I guarantee your 2004 did not have this issue brand new on the lot and neither did my 1996

I am assuming we are getting into MONEY issues and or LAZY people not wanting a properly functioning truck and simply trying to influence THOUGHT because in THEIR world it would not be a big deal therefore others must be delusional or whining.That reverse sh*t is old technology/old school

I like my truck and want it to function properly AS IT SHOULD

Go get your truck fixed and who gives a f*ck if anybody thinks you are whining ,Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-24-2007
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Does the noise stop/quiet down when you step on the brakes? I know my truck isn't 4x4 but when I got 4-wheelin and get rocks/mud in the brakes it makes a horrible, god-awful grinding/squealing noise but if I speed up, reverse or rapidly brake hard the noise sometimes disappears. Just a thought
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-24-2007
2004FORDRANGER's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PITCHER NY
Posts: 617
Oh yeah i remember reading in my manual that 97 rangers with auto hubs are to backup 2 truck lengths to disengage the hubs. I don't know why but that is what my manual said to do. Just giving some advice cause i owned a 97 ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-25-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger_Danger
Does the noise stop/quiet down when you step on the brakes? I know my truck isn't 4x4 but when I got 4-wheelin and get rocks/mud in the brakes it makes a horrible, god-awful grinding/squealing noise but if I speed up, reverse or rapidly brake hard the noise sometimes disappears. Just a thought
I have experienced what I THINK( BACKING UP WILL DISLODGE THE PEBBLE AND HARD BRAKING WILL BUST THE PEBBLE ,HENCE NO MORE NOISE) you are talking about but in my situation it was just a pebble or small stone stuck in the rotor and most likely thats what you are hearing also. My concern at hand is mechanical I am going to mount my video camera under truck pointed at left front wheel so i can see EXACTLY whats going on but it has been raining for days, as soon as it clears up I will do this and it wont be my low rez digital camera I used for the sound on the other videos, besides I need to take this to ford for PROOF then I wont get some retard that says ( o - it aint no big deal just deal with it and besides it will cost 800 bucks to fix anyways) lmaooooooooo if that was my employee I would FIRE them!!!!!!!!!. I may not be rich but I sure as hell can afford to fix my truck properly.Could you imagine buying a 07 4x4 and a month later this happens and some idiot said something like that? roflmfao,yea your right I just spent 24,000 f*ck it I will just live with it.Ok I am done,

Last edited by 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX; 04-25-2007 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-26-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Elizabeth City, NC
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004FORDRANGER
Oh yeah i remember reading in my manual that 97 rangers with auto hubs are to backup 2 truck lengths to disengage the hubs. I don't know why but that is what my manual said to do. Just giving some advice cause i owned a 97 ranger.

I'm quoting Mr. Calhoun's response because he verifies that you NEED to back up 2 car lengths to disengage your front hubs. You should have that key information in your owner's manual.


http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...r2002/hubs.htm gives a good alternate solution, should you want manual locking hubs. Yes, you'd have to get out and switch them, but they'd ALWAYS work.

Report back what you find. We're all on the edge of our seats.....waiting.....
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-26-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl43P
I'm quoting Mr. Calhoun's response because he verifies that you NEED to back up 2 car lengths to disengage your front hubs. You should have that key information in your owner's manual.


http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...r2002/hubs.htm gives a good alternate solution, should you want manual locking hubs. Yes, you'd have to get out and switch them, but they'd ALWAYS work.

Report back what you find. We're all on the edge of our seats.....waiting.....
I have the ORIGINAL manual in my glove box and am reading threw the 4x4 section NOW. also keep in mind AS MY ORIGINAL POST SAID I can back up MANY times and half the day later it will just start spinning and grinding!! I will be back in an hour and if I have to I will SCAN the page in manual for all to see if it actually says to put it in reverse,the only thing I can think of thats even close is ( 4x4 low ) this is pretty simple ( stop truck, put in neutral,flip switch to 4x4 low, put in drive then go,same thing to disengage)
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-26-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
OK, MY BAD!!!!!

Also, I had no clue you could shift into 4x4 high at 55mph,learn something new every day,for some reason I thought it was 35 mph,

Keep in mind my ORIGINAL problem still is present regardless of the million times I put it in reverse!

"QUOTE" FROM PAGE (174- 175 ) 1996 Ford ranger ( Owners Guide )

To shift from Two-Wheel Drive to 4WD High:

To shift into 4WD High rotate the 4WD switch located on the instrument panel to 4X4 High. This shift can be done at a stop or at speeds up to 55 miles per hour (88 km/h). When the vehicle is driven the automatic locking hubs will engage. If the vehicle is stopped while in 4WD and the vehicle direction is reversed from the previous direction, the automatic locking hubs will momentarily disengage and reengage. The automatic locking hubs may click as they automatically engage in the new direction.

To shift from 4WD Hight to Two-Wheel Drive:

Rotate the 4WD switch to 2WD; the 4WD light on the instrument cluster will go out, indicating the vehicle is in two-wheel drive. This can be done at any speed. To disengage the automatic locking hubs, operate the vehicle in two wheel drive in the opposite direction for approximately 10 feet (3 meters) in a straight line.

For example:

If you were driving the vehicle forward in 4WD the automatic locking hubs will disengage the next time the vehicle is driven in reverse in two-wheel drive for approximately 10 feet (3meters) in a straight line.

If you were driving the vehicle in reverse in 4WD, the automatic locking hubs will disengage the next time the vehicle is driven forward in two-wheel drive for approximately 10 feet (3meters) in a straight line.

Operating in two-wheel drive mode with the hubs locked increases fuel consumption, noise, vibration, and wear. For prolonged two-wheel drive operation on dry pavement, disengagement of the automatic locking hubs, which is not required for two-wheel drive operation, stops all movement of front-wheel drive components while operating in two-wheel drive.

Last edited by 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX; 04-26-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-11-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Just call me a RETARD!! lmao, So about an hour ago i decided to go jack my truck up and remove BOTH front tires then take off my left front hub and and right front hub and do ONE THING ,swap sides to see if my problem went from the left front to the right front and guess what, IT DID,now i have the EXACT same issue on the right front that I have been having on the left sooooooooooooooooooooooo in case i am missing something really really stupid then this is my problem?? I can't believe I did not think of this sooner nor can I believe nobody said HEY MAN JUST CHANGE THEM FROM SIDE TO SIDE AND SEE IF YOUR PROBLEM CHANGES WITH IT.Anyways I am now DESPERATELY looking for somebody who has one of these things.Let me know what you think and if somebody that went to MANUAL HUBS can send me one of there auto's they took off.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS engaging on Dry Pavement? 01xltranger4x4 Drivetrain Tech 65 11-20-2008 03:30 PM
"Rough Pavement" 1, Leaf Springs 0 heaton84 Suspension Tech 4 07-02-2008 09:42 PM
Reccomend tires for sugar sand/gravel/pavement/rain Hawklore Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 14 04-19-2007 01:18 AM
hows this for a tire lifting pavement tearing suspension? truckstang94 Suspension Tech 12 04-03-2007 04:34 PM
wierd noise when turning on pavement - sometimes like grinding FMD General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 12-05-2006 09:10 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.