Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource (https://www.ranger-forums.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion-15/)
-   -   Long Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.ranger-forums.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion-15/long-road-trip-19874/)

blue_bandit 03-12-2006 03:35 PM

Long Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!!
 
next week i head out on a very long road trip from fort bragg nc to bakers field ca now can enyone hep me figure out some stuff this is my first long road trip

fuel cost for the trip
best route to take
and any other things i need to know or general advice

any help would be great thanks

gatorblue92 03-12-2006 03:40 PM

I-40 west... forever :crazy:

blue_bandit 03-12-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatorblue92
I-40 west... forever :crazy:

yeap i would say so acoring to map quest
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...2s=ca&2z=93308

RangerBoy03FX4 03-12-2006 04:13 PM

take your average miles per tank and divide that into your total miles and that will tell you how many tanks of gas it will take.

account for cost of food or pack your meals.

Trigger01 03-12-2006 04:38 PM

The best advice i could give you is to get a portable fridg that will plug into your cig. lighter and stock it with Coke, like you said it will be a very long road trip. What does a 4.0 get as far as highway milage?

blue_bandit 03-12-2006 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trigger01
The best advice i could give you is to get a portable fridg that will plug into your cig. lighter and stock it with Coke, like you said it will be a very long road trip. What does a 4.0 get as far as highway milage?

according to ford 19mpg i dont think thats right cause if it was a full 19.5 gallon tank would last you on the highway around 370.5 miles

and for the fridge part i got a really big icechest thats going to be sitting in my back seat

black-n-blue 03-12-2006 05:30 PM

thats gonna be a long trip, but i've been from washington state to nc back and forth a couple times, its really not too bad, kinda fun if you have someone with you. you should get good gas mileage considering your truck is new, just be sure to put your k&n in it for the trip.

JoshW 03-12-2006 05:47 PM

Road trips are great.... make sure you make some cds... put anything and all sorts of music on it. have Caffine and caffine pills if your driving alone.... (bring Exdrine... (bottled water) some cheap snacks..

i never eat on a road trip till i get to the place. I dont want a random number 2 bathroom break in the middle of no where.

Extra qt of oil and coolent. ummm some basic tools and make sure you have a inflated spare.

blue_bandit 03-12-2006 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black-n-blue
thats gonna be a long trip, but i've been from washington state to nc back and forth a couple times, its really not too bad, kinda fun if you have someone with you. you should get good gas mileage considering your truck is new, just be sure to put your k&n in it for the trip.

its already back in

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshW
Road trips are great.... make sure you make some cds... put anything and all sorts of music on it. have Caffine and caffine pills if your driving alone.... (bring Exdrine... (bottled water) some cheap snacks..

i never eat on a road trip till i get to the place. I dont want a random number 2 bathroom break in the middle of no where.

Extra qt of oil and coolent. ummm some basic tools and make sure you have a inflated spare.

yea i gotta go pic up a gallon of that golden coolant crap tommorow i just topped it off earlyer today and used the last i had plus i gotta go change my oil and rotat my tires tommorow ive got a 20gb ipod full of music and a cd case with about 120 cd's in it and another with 50 or so burnt one so i should be good on music thanks for the heads up on the pills ill get some even though im not driving alone and ill get some soda and some cheap snack to keep in the ice chest

05edge 03-12-2006 06:14 PM

dont forget a camera

blue_bandit 03-12-2006 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05edge
dont forget a camera

my cell phone takes great pics and i got a 256mb card for it

shadyluke 03-12-2006 08:25 PM

Bathroom breaks aren't bad. I guess a bathroom shared by a floor of college guys has cured me of the fear of any public restroom. And it sounds like you are a military guy so sitting half of the step bars isn't outta the question either........don't ask.

As for what I recommend is a headache medicene and sunglasses. Driving it the sun kills me. Also CB radios are nice. They can give a decent break from music plus truckers are funny. As for a drink I usualyy stick to mountain dew or lemonade both have a decent amount of sugar. Although my roomate swears by redbull.

The camera is a really good idea too. Props to 05edge on that one. Zip tie a spare key under your truck too, just incase.

Good luck and have Fun

JoshW 03-12-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadyluke
Bathroom breaks aren't bad. I guess a bathroom shared by a floor of college guys has cured me of the fear of any public restroom. And it sounds like you are a military guy so sitting half of the step bars isn't outta the question either........don't ask.

As for what I recommend is a headache medicene and sunglasses. Driving it the sun kills me. Also CB radios are nice. They can give a decent break from music plus truckers are funny. As for a drink I usualyy stick to mountain dew or lemonade both have a decent amount of sugar. Although my roomate swears by redbull.

The camera is a really good idea too. Props to 05edge on that one. Zip tie a spare key under your truck too, just incase.

Good luck and have Fun

good call on that, my ex on our road trip... some how lost her entire set of keys at a mcdonalds.... no clue how. lucky i had a set to her car.

definently have a good set of maps to go along with your map quest print out.. (get lost and your fubar with out it) belive nothing sucks worse then a important sigh that is missing.

r0ng5 03-12-2006 09:40 PM

why bakersfield?

Dude, that's a looong trip. It whould be fun. (i love driving)

Definitely take some pictures. I suggest a digi cam PLUS your camera phone. :006:

The Dtapes 03-12-2006 11:47 PM

That should be fun! We drove from southern Indiana to Anchorage and will be doing it again going back soon. I would say KandN replacement filter, and I put in an AirConditioner toggle switch for the compressor( in "how to" forum ). Definately have your basics. When you get out west, you most likely tempted to try some offroading as they have awesome rocks and trails to hit at most places!

An extra word of advice, the gas stations west are few and far between, not like here in the east so dont stretch the gas stops, were taking an extra fuel container.

Mr. Special 03-13-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0ng5
why bakersfield?

Dude, that's a looong trip. It whould be fun. (i love driving)

Definitely take some pictures. I suggest a digi cam PLUS your camera phone. :006:

thats where his house is (hes in the service, not sure which one tho) And agreed with the camera. Plus lots of water/drinks and snacks. So how long ae you going to be in Bakersfield? cuz if your going to be there for a while then you should come hit some Pismo with us sometime

r0ng5 03-13-2006 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Special
thats where his house is (hes in the service, not sure which one tho) And agreed with the camera. Plus lots of water/drinks and snacks. So how long ae you going to be in Bakersfield? cuz if your going to be there for a while then you should come hit some Pismo with us sometime

oooooooo :006:

blue_bandit 03-13-2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadyluke
Bathroom breaks aren't bad. I guess a bathroom shared by a floor of college guys has cured me of the fear of any public restroom. And it sounds like you are a military guy so sitting half of the step bars isn't outta the question either........don't ask.

As for what I recommend is a headache medicene and sunglasses. Driving it the sun kills me. Also CB radios are nice. They can give a decent break from music plus truckers are funny. As for a drink I usualyy stick to mountain dew or lemonade both have a decent amount of sugar. Although my roomate swears by redbull.

The camera is a really good idea too. Props to 05edge on that one. Zip tie a spare key under your truck too, just incase.

Good luck and have Fun

you think dorm bath rooms are bad youve never seen a bathroom in iraq :crazy: as for the cb its also on my list of things today i have a nice setup i just gotta reinstal it

blue_bandit 03-13-2006 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0ng5
why bakersfield?

Dude, that's a looong trip. It whould be fun. (i love driving)

Definitely take some pictures. I suggest a digi cam PLUS your camera phone. :006:

digi cam is packed and on its way to germany im from bakersfield thats why im taking my truck there then i gotta get on a plane and head to germany

blue_bandit 03-13-2006 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dtapes
That should be fun! We drove from southern Indiana to Anchorage and will be doing it again going back soon. I would say KandN replacement filter, and I put in an AirConditioner toggle switch for the compressor( in "how to" forum ). Definately have your basics. When you get out west, you most likely tempted to try some offroading as they have awesome rocks and trails to hit at most places!

An extra word of advice, the gas stations west are few and far between, not like here in the east so dont stretch the gas stops, were taking an extra fuel container.

note to self: get 2 5 gallon gas cans

thanks man

blue_bandit 03-13-2006 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Special
thats where his house is (hes in the service, not sure which one tho) And agreed with the camera. Plus lots of water/drinks and snacks. So how long ae you going to be in Bakersfield? cuz if your going to be there for a while then you should come hit some Pismo with us sometime

i'm in the army btw, and i would love to come down ill have to see when i get the how my budget is lookin o and isnt there going to be a meet in barstow on the 24th?

shadyluke 03-13-2006 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_bandit
you think dorm bath rooms are bad youve never seen a bathroom in iraq :crazy: as for the cb its also on my list of things today i have a nice setup i just gotta reinstal it

I will give you that although I have seen so pretty nasty stuff. But if you can handle that reststops aren't usuallly that bad.

JoshW 03-13-2006 06:53 PM

pissing on the side of the freeway in -10degree weather... isnt much fun.

the gas can's are a good idea too. Never can be too sure if the next off ramp has gas. (worst road trip was when my filler neck cracked.. and i was losing gas. Tank could only hold 10 gallons... (i didn't even know i just filled up with 15) and found out it was leaking... Went oh **** and did 95 to 100mph to eat it up quickly.

karrbass4life 03-14-2006 06:21 AM

Check your fluids and tire pressure. Dont want to be low on something, and tire pressure saves money.

blue_bandit 03-19-2006 05:55 AM

ok i made it im no longer in nc im in cali took me 3 days 1st day got me from fayettville to about the middle of tenn second day got me to some rat hole motel in texas a few exits after some crappy little town(can remember right now) and 3rd day got me from there all the way back to bakersfield it was a lot of fun im glad i hooked my cb back up truckers are awsome saved me from alot of tickets and they kept me awake most the time plus one called my friend a bull dike she didnt think it was funny but i laughed all the way from ak to ca i got home and went to my days and whent muddin i had to it was 2 am but i was having withdrawls tommorow me and my dad are going to make a front tube bumper and a skid plate for my truck


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:21 AM.