Looking at a Mustang.. - Page 3 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #51  
Old 12-05-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger4.0 View Post
Again a horrible comparison, Those cars are roughly double the price of a stang and GTO.
Nope, it isn't a "horrible comparison". You asked for a RWD V8 sport car that can handle well in comparison to a "FWD Hatchback", and those cars fit the bill. I don't know why you think that I am comparing a BMW M3 or Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG to a much more inferior Mustang GT or GTO. Not to mention, they aren't quite "double the price" for used models.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-05-2008
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Terminator.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-05-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
Nope, it isn't a "horrible comparison". You asked for a RWD V8 sport car that can handle well in comparison to a "FWD Hatchback", and those cars fit the bill. I don't know why you think that I am comparing a BMW M3 or Mercedes Benz SLK55 AMG to a much more inferior Mustang GT or GTO. Not to mention, they aren't quite "double the price" for used models.
x2. Even an E36 M3 (of which my GF owns in Euro Spec RHD British Racing Green) will WASTE my Mustang and a 4.6 but will walk it around an autocross track on a leash. A nice shape, used E39/46 M3/M5 (mmmmmm, M5) would outperform most GTs and GT500s in corners, wouldn't cost a while lot more than a newer, clean GT however parts and maintenance is costly for an M as would insurance.

Mustang GT < Mustang GT500 < Mustang Terminator Cobra < BMW M3 < BMW M5
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-05-2008
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
Soooo.. are you "looking at a GTO.." now? I'm confused.

I've driven 2 GTO's and quite a few stock Mustang GT's and even a '98 and '01 SVT Cobra and thought they all had squishy suspension compared to the GTI's that i've driven. Obviously those cars are much quicker than a GTI, but not in the handling or balanced ride quality dept IMO.
You are an idiot if you are trying to compare the suspension of a european hatchback to an american muscle car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwester04 View Post
Doesnt matter. Think BMW M3 Great handler, V8 RWD. Mercedes SLK55 AMG, again excellent road manners, V8 RWD. No excuses
You are talking about high end european performance cars that are twice the cost or more of a Mustang GT. What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
x2. Even an E36 M3 (of which my GF owns in Euro Spec RHD British Racing Green) will WASTE my Mustang and a 4.6 but will walk it around an autocross track on a leash. A nice shape, used E39/46 M3/M5 (mmmmmm, M5) would outperform most GTs and GT500s in corners, wouldn't cost a while lot more than a newer, clean GT however parts and maintenance is costly for an M as would insurance.

Mustang GT < Mustang GT500 < Mustang Terminator Cobra < BMW M3 < BMW M5
Again, you can't compare any of these cars in the slightest bit...
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-05-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
Again, you can't compare any of these cars in the slightest bit...
M3
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/922735742.html
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/ctd/932971159.html
Mustang GT
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/933664165.html
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/cto/938616093.html

With the limited amount of M3s avail in Salt Lake I would say they are quite comparable . . .
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 12-05-2008
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
That e46 has more then double the miles of the first mustang and more then four times the miles of the second.

That e36 is a high mileage beat piece of ****, which is why it is only $7, there is only one picture from a weird angle, and there is no listed mileage.

And even if they are the same price you can't compare them still two totally different types of cars...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Sorry to mess up a Stang thread with my buddy's GTO.



Anyway I personally like Fox body Mustangs.
GTO=FAIL not made in the USA.

I have a 08 GT with bolt ons running 12.8s.... and its an auto...
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 12-05-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
That e46 has more then double the miles of the first mustang and more then four times the miles of the second.

That e36 is a high mileage beat piece of ****, which is why it is only $7, there is only one picture from a weird angle, and there is no listed mileage.

And even if they are the same price you can't compare them still two totally different types of cars...
So then you can't compare a GTO? Cobra? Camaro or T/A? SRT?

Please explain how M3s are so different they can't be compared to a Mustang GT? Even a 3-Series isn't comparable (only having slight variations from the M model)?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 12-05-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
GTO=FAIL not made in the USA.

I have a 08 GT with bolt ons running 12.8s.... and its an auto...
Ummm who cares if its not made here. That tv in your house isn't made here.

My friend's is running that 12.5 at 108 with intake, mufflers, catless midpipes, 3000 stall converter, tune and jba shortys. And it's a heavier car than a stang.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
Mustang GT < Mustang GT500 < Mustang Terminator Cobra < BMW M3 < BMW M5
You are smoking crack... stock M3's and M5's run Mid to HIGH 13's at best. My stock 2008 auto gt with DR's put down a 13.72 @ 105 mph.

A 07+ GT500 Stock with a set of DR's can run 11.6-11.8's all day. MM&FF did a article on it. The stock 03-04 cobra runs mid to high 12's. 1999-2004 GTs run anywhere from 13.9s-14.6s (autos are slow). and 2005+ GTs run 13.2s-to 13.9s all day long (depends on whos driving the 5-speed, they are a ***** to launch). Plus the replacement parts and service cherges for a BMW are rediculous...
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Ummm who cares if its not made here. That tv in your house isn't made here.

My friend's is running that 12.5 at 108 with intake, mufflers, catless midpipes, 3000 stall converter, tune and jba shortys. And it's a heavier car than a stang.
So....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12kdJ...eature=related

This is a 40k dollar setup including the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mt1mXiVKvU
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 12-05-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
You are smoking crack... stock M3's and M5's run Mid to HIGH 13's at best. My stock 2008 auto gt with DR's put down a 13.72 @ 105 mph.

A 07+ GT500 Stock with a set of DR's can run 11.6-11.8's all day. MM&FF did a article on it. The stock 03-04 cobra runs mid to high 12's. 1999-2004 GTs run anywhere from 13.9s-14.6s (autos are slow). and 2005+ GTs run 13.2s-to 13.9s all day long (depends on whos driving the 5-speed, they are a ***** to launch). Plus the replacement parts and service cherges for a BMW are rediculous...
Please set your pipe down, now I don't believe I posted that based on track times (besides the fact your's are off) I posted that in personal preference. Now if you would like to take your 13-sec stock auto GT (or ANY stock Mustang, regardless of model/trim) to the autocross track, please let me know how it compares to a stock E36+ 3-Series . . . not everyone bases their choice of car on track times.

Also basing your "facts" on MM&FF isn't the best to do, I also buy their mag.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-05-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
Umm ok? I'm sure any ca with 40K into it will be fast.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Terminator.
X2. Terminators dominate. And will do so on a road course! Prove me wrong buddy I have subscribed to mm&ff for over 3 years. Between me and my family we have had over 10 mustangs throughout the years including a terminator. Mustangs ftw. Ok i'm done
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by fddriver02 View Post
Umm ok? I'm sure any ca with 40K into it will be fast.
40k INCLUDING the car. (23k)
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-05-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
40k INCLUDING the car. (23k)
And?
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 12-05-2008
fordlife's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Lemoore CA/561, Fl
Posts: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycheetwood View Post
^^^ x2 chargers are a dime a dozen
fixed it for ya.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 12-05-2008
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
X2. Terminators dominate. And will do so on a road course! Prove me wrong buddy I have subscribed to mm&ff for over 3 years. Between me and my family we have had over 10 mustangs throughout the years including a terminator. Mustangs ftw. Ok i'm done
A Terminator will out-handle a 3 or 5 Series?

I'm not going to try and prove a fact to you if you haven't driven one (BMW) to compare . . . I have driven both. I have won (Winter) and payed for (Summer) a winter and summer high-performance driving school in New Zealand and driven plenty of cars over a wide variety so don't tell me you have years of experience over my knowledge of cars.

Yes the Terminator is IRS and does handle incredibly well, especially when compared to a solid axle GT but until you drive a 03' M3 (or similar) in the same circumstances as you just put that Terminator through you see the pro's and con's of each, and to ME the M3 prevails.

I never once said the Mustang GT wasn't a wise decision, I clearly stated the benefits of Mustang in my initial post from personal experience. I was giving OP an idea of other cars to check out in a comparable class of performance and price. If you want to go fast in a straight line only, get a Mustang, if you want to go fast in a straight line and make it around the next corner at that speed, get a 3 (maybe even 5 or Z) Series.

Edit - Ohh, and the cost of a Terminator is VERY comparable to an M3.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 12-05-2008
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Mustangs don't turn. The only one that I have seen that could stock has been the Cobra R. GTOs don't turn either.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 12-05-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
I have driven a 2005 m3 several times. Nice cars. But they will never compare to a mustang.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 12-05-2008
bwester04's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
You are an idiot if you are trying to compare the suspension of a european hatchback to an american muscle car.



You are talking about high end european performance cars that are twice the cost or more of a Mustang GT. What does that have to do with anything?



Again, you can't compare any of these cars in the slightest bit...
LOL is all I can say about your pointless, bi_tchy posts. Read the entire thread before you call people 'idiots', you ***. Redranger4.0 stated that it was "horrible" to compare a suspension of a FWD hatchback to a Mustang GT/GTO, so I improvised to something a little more ON PAR with those cars (of which have better than a FWD hatchback GTI suspension)- V8 RWD- I said NOTHING about comparing them performance wise, this isnt a "mercedes and bmw are better than Ford and Pontiac" thread. Take a midol and chill

Last edited by bwester04; 12-05-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-07-2008
pbcanney's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sharon Center, OH
Posts: 22
I had an 06 GT for about 14 months. 5 speed manual. Hurst shifter, cat back, sequential tail lights. The car was awesome. Gave up my 01 Ranger 4x4 for it. But I bought a house and needed a pickup to haul crap, so I traded the stang in on my 08 FX4 .

Still miss the Mustang.. but love my Ranger

Last edited by pbcanney; 12-08-2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: added mustang pic
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-08-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Jefferson, NC
Posts: 4


My 05 and I love it.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-08-2008
99XLTman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bradenton Fl
Posts: 411
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

That is nice looking my friend. Im loving the KR style hood.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-08-2008
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
My 08 GT... s197s FTW!!!!
Name:  DSC05254.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  112.7 KB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a new DD looking thoughts Btm24 General Ford Ranger Discussion 0 07-14-2013 09:42 PM
How much wider is a Mustang 8.8" axle? Wowak Drivetrain Tech 5 01-11-2005 03:51 PM
Mustang dome light? Buttercup General Ford Ranger Discussion 8 01-04-2005 12:51 AM
Tomorrow I drive an 05 Mustang Mnemonic General Ford Ranger Discussion 20 11-08-2004 03:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:36 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.