Need Ideas for a 1994 ranger winch - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 12-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
Ummm you do know you can cut your own bumper correct?? And how are they going to weld the winch to the frame?? There has to be some sort of mounting plate/bracket/holder.
Yes I know you can cut your own bumper( if you have the tools)

I assumed anybody buying a winch would know to buy the hardware to mount it.

I guess common sense escapes some people?

It's all good!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
Ummm you do know you can cut your own bumper correct?? And how are they going to weld the winch to the frame?? There has to be some sort of mounting plate/bracket/holder.
Yes I know you can cut your own bumper( if you have the tools)

I assumed anybody buying a winch would know to buy the hardware to mount it.

I guess common sense escapes some people?

It's all good!!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-22-2008
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996Ranger4x4SuperCabSTX View Post
Yes I know you can cut your own bumper( if you have the tools)

I assumed anybody buying a winch would know to buy the hardware to mount it.

I guess common sense escapes some people?

It's all good!!
Winches come with mounting hardware. In order to mount it between the frame rails you have to do one of the things that I have said above. There is no way to mount a winch to the frame with what it comes with out of the box.

And by no way, I mean no safe/smart/good way. Meaning if you can it won't hold up.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-23-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
Yeah. I'm not going to go and cut off the bumper and all of that haasel. I think I'm going to get a front hitch, and a winch mount for it. Earlyer I asked if you needed a lift for the rear hitch mount to put the winch on, is it the same deal with the front? Do I have to have a lift to have a front hitch->mulitmount-> winch?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-23-2008
Sea-Bass's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yeah. I'm not going to go and cut off the bumper and all of that haasel. I think I'm going to get a front hitch, and a winch mount for it. Earlyer I asked if you needed a lift for the rear hitch mount to put the winch on, is it the same deal with the front? Do I have to have a lift to have a front hitch->mulitmount-> winch?
No, you do not need any lift. No lift is needed for a front hitch or rear hitch.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-23-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
thank you.

im thinking its going to take about a month or so to come up with all of the money.

i was looking at advanced auto parts, and i saw that the max pull power for a front hitch is only 3500 lbs. so if i get higher than that, im screwed? right?
?
or what can i do? did i just find a weak front hitch?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-23-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
i just reab about ****** blocks. they increase the pulling power by 85%.

with this new information at hand, could i get a 2k-3k winch, and use a ****** block?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-23-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i just reab about ****** blocks. they increase the pulling power by 85%.

with this new information at hand, could i get a 2k-3k winch, and use a ****** block?
Read what people post for gods sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
You can get a smaller winch and keep some pulley blocks if it is ever not enough to get you out. Slower recovery, but it'll get the job done. :)
The more blocks you have, the more you can increase your pulling power. The only limitation is how much cable you have.

One block gives you a little less than twice as much pulling power. Add another block and you have almost three times as much. Three blocks will give you almost four times as much pulling power.

If you watch dirty jobs, they pulled a burried humvee over a sandhill by hand with like 8 blocks.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-23-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
so i saw this wich earlyer that was 2000 lbs pulling power, so if i ge 2 ****** blocks, i will 1700lbs (85% of 2000) coming of one ****** block, and another ****** block added to the line, will be 1445(85% of 1700). i will have 5145
(2000lbs[winch])+1700[the weight off the first ****** block]+1445lbs[second ****** block])= 5145lbs of total pulling power?

and will all of this weight be pulling on the winch mount? or on the other two mounts for the ****** blocks?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-23-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
so i saw this wich earlyer that was 2000 lbs pulling power, so if i ge 2 ****** blocks, i will 1700lbs (85% of 2000) coming of one ****** block, and another ****** block added to the line, will be 1445(85% of 1700). i will have 5145
(2000lbs[winch])+1700[the weight off the first ****** block]+1445lbs[second ****** block])= 5145lbs of total pulling power?

and will all of this weight be pulling on the winch mount? or on the other two mounts for the ****** blocks?
It will be pulling from the winch and where you put the 2nd block on the truck. Keep in mind that every block you put in reduces your pull rate.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-23-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
You are also pulling at 100% the winch's capacity/design/mount. Just spend the freaking money on a winch THAT IS MADE FOR YOUR TRUCK'S WEIGHT!!!!
There is no easy way, and you will pay when it matters most!
Also, the line on ATV (which is what you are talking about) winches is not as strong as a TRUCK winch.

I have used the CRAP out of my Warn and MM hydro, and no way you should be cheap here.

Last edited by buckgnarly; 12-23-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-23-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
allright cool.

im just the kind of person that likes to know all of my choices before i make them.

thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-24-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
You are also pulling at 100% the winch's capacity/design/mount. Just spend the freaking money on a winch THAT IS MADE FOR YOUR TRUCK'S WEIGHT!!!!
There is no easy way, and you will pay when it matters most!
Also, the line on ATV (which is what you are talking about) winches is not as strong as a TRUCK winch.

I have used the CRAP out of my Warn and MM hydro, and no way you should be cheap here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

The winch will be using the amount of pulling power needed to move at its optimal cable rate. Just because he has 3 blocks in an that gives him 8000lbs of pulling potential doesnt mean he will be using the winch to its maximum potential all of the time.

And just because its an ATV winch and the cable is smaller doesnt mean it will brake. The load is distributed between each of the cable runs to the truck relatively equally.

The ONLY two downfalls of buying a smaller winch and using blocks to get enough pulling power besides the headache of setting it up is much slower line speed, and length limitations.

Now if it were me, I'd get something like this: http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...pn=MIL76-50230

and keep a block or two for really stickey situations.

A 3,000lb straight pull winch will give more pulling power than most vehicles with out snatching so when you are just slightly stuck, it will get you out pretty easily.

When you get burried a shovel, high lift, and the pulley blocks are sure to get you out.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-24-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
im not going to get burred. my car will never be put in any state when i would be in lots and lots of mud. the only time i would use the winch is when my tires are not getting any traction in the grass, mud, sand..ect. keep in mind i only have a 2WD rear wheel drive ranger. and i dont plan on going off roading/ mudding. just need something to pull me out slowly, until i get some traction.

and question, if i get a winch that has, say 20-30 ft. of wire--- can i take off that wire, and replace it with with my own 100ft cable?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-24-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
If the spool is big enough. ie, probably not. keep some good straps or some extra cable in the back. Makes things easier.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-24-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

The winch will be using the amount of pulling power needed to move at its optimal cable rate. Just because he has 3 blocks in an that gives him 8000lbs of pulling potential doesnt mean he will be using the winch to its maximum potential all of the time.

And just because its an ATV winch and the cable is smaller doesnt mean it will brake. The load is distributed between each of the cable runs to the truck relatively equally.

The ONLY two downfalls of buying a smaller winch and using blocks to get enough pulling power besides the headache of setting it up is much slower line speed, and length limitations.

Now if it were me, I'd get something like this: http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-Wi...pn=MIL76-50230

and keep a block or two for really stickey situations.

A 3,000lb straight pull winch will give more pulling power than most vehicles with out snatching so when you are just slightly stuck, it will get you out pretty easily.

When you get burried a shovel, high lift, and the pulley blocks are sure to get you out.

SO I guess everyone should run a 3k winch.....the point is, a 3k winch motor WILL work as hard as an 8k motor. Which motor do you think will last longer in the long run? Which one was made to run at that level?

1/4 cable will always be weaker than 5/16+, unless we're talking syn lines here.

To the OP, do yourself the favor and DO NOT try to cheat here. Get a truck rated winch, at least 8k for Ranger purposes. Smittbuilt makes some nice (the newer ones) inexpensive models. Even Tom Barcia (OLD member) beat the crap out of his cheap Milemarker electric and it still ran great...still does on his gf's Jeep. Spend the extra 2-300 bucks and leave the ****** block cheating method out of the decision.
Just b/c you can does not mean you should......

Last edited by buckgnarly; 12-24-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-24-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
buckgnary, your making a lot of sense. i think for the short run, im going to buy the 2000lbs winch i posted earlyer, ( http://www.shoplocal.com/dl-50534461...table-winch.fp ). and get a ****** block.

but this will be only till i get the cash for the 8k winch, front hitch, and winch mount.

keep in mind ill problay only have this truck for a few more years, ( less than five im even thinking) so im not trying to spend that much money on it. but i will defiantly make the investment when i get the cash for the whole Truck winch set, vs. the 2000lbs/ ****** block deal.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-24-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
ps: the reason i would like to get the 2k winch so quickly, is for the fact that i know im going to get stuck all of the time in the soon to be snow, here in virgina.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-24-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
SO I guess everyone should run a 3k winch.....the point is, a 3k winch motor WILL work as hard as an 8k motor. Which motor do you think will last longer in the long run? Which one was made to run at that level?

1/4 cable will always be weaker than 5/16+, unless we're talking syn lines here.

.
I think you have reading comprehension issues. I also think you have no idea what you're talking about.

No, not everyone should run a 3k winch. Of course, I didnt reccomend a 3,000lb rolling winch, I posted a winch with 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power. 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power is more pull than 99% of recreational off road vehicles can provide. From the terrain the OP said he would be getting stuck in, that is all he needs WITH OUT a block.

You purchase the tool for the job. If you are planning on getting burried deep and want fast recovery to keep moving on the trail or to get someone else out of the mud then you would want to purchase a strong winch. By your logic we should buy a saw-zaw when a $15 jigsaw will do the job.

As far as winch longevity, there will be little difference between the two.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-24-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
buckgnary, your making a lot of sense. i think for the short run, im going to buy the 2000lbs winch i posted earlyer, ( http://www.shoplocal.com/dl-50534461...table-winch.fp ). and get a ****** block.

but this will be only till i get the cash for the 8k winch, front hitch, and winch mount.

keep in mind ill problay only have this truck for a few more years, ( less than five im even thinking) so im not trying to spend that much money on it. but i will defiantly make the investment when i get the cash for the whole Truck winch set, vs. the 2000lbs/ ****** block deal.


Save the 85 bucks, seriously. If you want something for the short run, go with a come along. Ne need to buy a mount for it, can always add a pipe for more leverage (not safe though). Here's just one example I found with a quick Google. Any store like Tractor Supply will have many nice ones to choose from...
http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/hanpowpulcom.html

I've used my winch 3 times this week to get the plow truck out, and I 100% am happy I have a milemarker hydro and Warn electric. The one pull was one solid ice, and at least 50'. I had my neighbor test out his Smittybuilt 10k and it got my way overweight Jeep up the hill no problem.
Keep in mind you'll never even come close with that little one. Even if you double the line pull with a movable pulley you're still below 4k. Put your truck on a little hill or in a little snow and you've crapped out the winch, let alone have enough line
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-24-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
I think you have reading comprehension issues. I also think you have no idea what you're talking about.

No, not everyone should run a 3k winch. Of course, I didnt reccomend a 3,000lb rolling winch, I posted a winch with 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power. 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power is more pull than 99% of recreational off road vehicles can provide. From the terrain the OP said he would be getting stuck in, that is all he needs WITH OUT a block.

You purchase the tool for the job. If you are planning on getting burried deep and want fast recovery to keep moving on the trail or to get someone else out of the mud then you would want to purchase a strong winch. By your logic we should buy a saw-zaw when a $15 jigsaw will do the job.

As far as winch longevity, there will be little difference between the two.
So what winch do you own? How many pulls have you done in your life. I'm not debating this, b/c what looks good on paper is not always good in real life.
I'm done with you, you have your ideas, I have my experience. I don't know what experience you have with winches, but I doubt anyone with some would agree with your logic in situations where you need to get unstuck. With a winch it's always better to have and not need, than need and not have. Let the OP decide.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-24-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
you got some good points buck, and i reallly thank you for your input.

im defiantly going to get a warn winch. but im going too have to raise up the capitol to get it, and the set up for it.

what set up and winch do you have? and could i ask for some pictures of it as well?

what would you recommend for me,

i spent $500 for the truck, its got 168k miles on it, so i dont know how much longer it would last for.

when the truck dies out on me, i would transfer the winch to out ford explorer, so i would need a hitch mount winch mount.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-24-2008
monkeysteeler12's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: vienna va
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
I think you have reading comprehension issues. I also think you have no idea what you're talking about.

No, not everyone should run a 3k winch. Of course, I didnt reccomend a 3,000lb rolling winch, I posted a winch with 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power. 3,000lbs of vertical lifting power is more pull than 99% of recreational off road vehicles can provide. From the terrain the OP said he would be getting stuck in, that is all he needs WITH OUT a block.

You purchase the tool for the job. If you are planning on getting burried deep and want fast recovery to keep moving on the trail or to get someone else out of the mud then you would want to purchase a strong winch. By your logic we should buy a saw-zaw when a $15 jigsaw will do the job.

As far as winch longevity, there will be little difference between the two.


i didnt understand any of that,... please keep in mind that i am a noob
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-24-2008
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
you got some good points buck, and i reallly thank you for your input.

im defiantly going to get a warn winch. but im going too have to raise up the capitol to get it, and the set up for it.

what set up and winch do you have? and could i ask for some pictures of it as well?

what would you recommend for me,

i spent $500 for the truck, its got 168k miles on it, so i dont know how much longer it would last for.

when the truck dies out on me, i would transfer the winch to out ford explorer, so i would need a hitch mount winch mount.

Old Ranger setup was Warn x8000i, with multimount and Masterpull 5/16" syn line. Wife wrecked the truck, not sure what I'm going to do with it now. I had a recevier welded in between the framerails, I had my old frame horns cut for a bumper years ago, so that was a great setup for the now dead Ranger. I don't really want to put a front hitch on the new truck due to skid plate and front approach angle. i may wind up wiring the rear of the Jeep to have two available. Was thinking about selling it, but no way I can part with it.
Warn is the way to go, and you're thinking right in that it WILL last you your entire life. Warn is simply incredible with their warranties.
Warn.....
Name:  warn.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  66.5 KB
Truck....
Name:  Hitchfront.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  Hitch.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  44.9 KB



Jeep's got a Milemarker hydro. Used these while I was in the Army, was sold on them. SUPER powerful, 100% duty cycle (as long as engine is running). There are MANy debates about hydro vs. electric which I will not get into, but for me and the Jeep reliablity is paramount. warn rules electric, but MM hydros are right up there depending on waht you want/need out of your winch.
Jeep.....
Name:  frontleft.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  69.5 KB
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-24-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
i didnt understand any of that,... please keep in mind that i am a noob
The winch I posted has 3,000lbs of straight pulling power. This means you could hang 3,000lbs from the winch and it could pull it up. In the off road winching world this equates to something like 6-7000lbs of rolling weight.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need 1994 3.0 v6 aftermarket parts need help cant find any jmc94 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 0 07-16-2013 08:15 PM
Got my awesome 10K lb HF winch today. Post you winch pics! t0x1k General Ford Ranger Discussion 10 02-09-2011 06:57 PM
Ideas for a 1994 Ranger XLT mtripod Suspension Tech 4 12-20-2010 01:02 PM
For Sale: Mile Marker 8000lbs Winch, Hitch mounted winch plate, Front hitch - Ontario Seb_L Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 32 02-10-2010 06:50 PM
new (old) 1994 ranger.... I got questions and need answers. FMD General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 03-10-2007 10:45 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:15 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.