new (old) 1994 ranger.... I got questions and need answers. - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-07-2007
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
new (old) 1994 ranger.... I got questions and need answers.

So, lil background for you all... (im basically interested in what redneckstone has to say) My buddy picked up this ranger for $400. needs some minor work, nothing major. the plan is to fix whats broken, and resell it. The paint hasnt seen soap or wax in quite a long time, and just from my messing around I have some pretty decent results. Anyways, I pulled it into the shop today, and washed it. o my amazazement its still somewhat shiny! Anyways, I tried a few spots on it with 3M Rubbing compound(by hand) and got some pretty decent results. brought the color right back. However this stuff is made for use with a buffer, which I have. However I have never used one. Any tips on how to properly buff a vehical would save me tons of time and work.

Also. the interior smells like cheap fruity car incents. Personally, Id like to pull the seats, clean em up and clean the floor. Its got a grey interior... grey rug, however its black with dirt. alil OB and a scrub brush should work well...

The wheels are a combination of ground in dirt and corrosion.... Any ideas on cleaning them? I dont wanna spend too much time on this, basically clean it up for resale. But I also know a vehical that is clean, and looks good will get more money than one that is just 'washed' Ill have pics later....


Edit






















Last edited by FMD; 03-08-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-07-2007
D.
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
I can show ya how to use your buffer. I have one myself.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-07-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
So, lil background for you all... (im basically interested in what redneckstone has to say) My buddy picked up this ranger for $400. needs some minor work, nothing major. the plan is to fix whats broken, and resell it. The paint hasnt seen soap or wax in quite a long time, and just from my messing around I have some pretty decent results. Anyways, I pulled it into the shop today, and washed it. o my amazazement its still somewhat shiny! Anyways, I tried a few spots on it with 3M Rubbing compound(by hand) and got some pretty decent results. brought the color right back. However this stuff is made for use with a buffer, which I have. However I have never used one. Any tips on how to properly buff a vehical would save me tons of time and work.
Depending on the buffer you have to watch you speed and dont sit it in one spot very long you will burn threw the paint. also be carful on the edges of things like hood fenders, there is less paint there and its really easy to burn threw really fast...

I have used the 3M compounds many times. i personally think the Meguires step process makes it come out far better and with less scratches. if you dont remeber my splash....

Quote:
Also. the interior smells like cheap fruity car incents. Personally, Id like to pull the seats, clean em up and clean the floor. Its got a grey interior... grey rug, however its black with dirt. alil OB and a scrub brush should work well...
when it comes to the carpet there is 2 ways to attack it.. if it is really really bad and it gets kinda warm out take it out and power wash it then steam clean anything else thats left..let her dry and reinstall... if its just so so just steam clean.... and steam clean the seats... for the plastic i just make a bucket of water with like dish soap and a rag and go to town....


Quote:
The wheels are a combination of ground in dirt and corrosion.... Any ideas on cleaning them? I dont wanna spend too much time on this, basically clean it up for resale. But I also know a vehical that is clean, and looks good will get more money than one that is just 'washed' Ill have pics later....
have to see the wheels to tell really.. are they Mag wheels or chrome?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-07-2007
Hanzo Steel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, Co/SFV, Ca.
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMD
The wheels are a combination of ground in dirt and corrosion.... Any ideas on cleaning them?

Steel wheels if they aren't chrome you can paint and if thier aluminum there are good products to get them looking really nice.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2007
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
those are clear coated alum.. the only way to fix them is have them bead blasted and have all the clear coat removed then polish them.. pretty much get new wheels
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2007
Hanzo Steel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, Co/SFV, Ca.
Posts: 593
Ya the rims had clear coat but you can take that off with chemicals and then polish the bare aluminum, I've actually done that with my older bmw rims and they looked 100 times better than they did from the factory.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2007
trail_ranger_357's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
Posts: 83
Well, I dunno if it's just me but in the picture of the truck outside, it looked like the tires were leaning in a little. Anyone else notice or is it just me?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-09-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
also just saw that carpet throw it away it will never be perfect agian i would get replacedment off line with how that looks... **** that must smell bad...


Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_ranger_357
Well, I dunno if it's just me but in the picture of the truck outside, it looked like the tires were leaning in a little. Anyone else notice or is it just me?
the fronts need an alignment but they also lean like that with an I beamtruck when the wheels are turned...

Last edited by Redneckstone; 03-09-2007 at 03:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-09-2007
Hanzo Steel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Aurora, Co/SFV, Ca.
Posts: 593
Yeah get that front end problem fixed, and if you still got those stickers in the cab remove those as well and any stickers you have around the truck. If the license plates are all beat up you can get new ones for under $15 at dmv. If you can't afford a carpet kit just clean it as best you can and get some decent mats. Clean the engine bay as well and change all the fluids or atleast the oil and water because you know they will be pulling the dipstick out and it better be clean. Remove that christmas tree incense it makes it look like your trying to hide the smell. Also, don't have a bunch of personal items in the car when your showing it. Make sure all the lights work all around, turn signals etc.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-09-2007
ranger_banger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: cedar falls, iowa
Posts: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by trail_ranger_357
Well, I dunno if it's just me but in the picture of the truck outside, it looked like the tires were leaning in a little. Anyone else notice or is it just me?
mine has been like that ever since my dad had his hands on it, i just assumed the springs were shot, so i think im just going to get a lowering kit and be done w/ it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_banger
mine has been like that ever since my dad had his hands on it, i just assumed the springs were shot, so i think im just going to get a lowering kit and be done w/ it.
with a lowering kit the camber will be worse you still need and alignment...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-09-2007
klc317's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 950
As for the wheels, there is no saving them. You can clean them, but due to neglect, they will never look "new" again, too much corrosion. Looks like the passenger side bedside is way out line with the cab lines in that front on pic...but anyway...lol! As for the interior, I would pull the seats and break out a heavy duty carpet shampoo machine. Auto carpet can usually come amazingly clean and fresh after a few passes but judging by how dirty that is, it may take some work and it may not ever come completely clean again. It aggrivates me to see how people neglect vehicles. As for the paint, it looks salvageable and really not too bad for being 13 years old. I don't see any peeled or missing layers of clearcoat.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-2007
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
with a lowering kit the camber will be worse you still need and alignment...
If he gets Lowering Ibeams it wont affect his alignment at all unless he changes the springs. Hell have to get a alignment regardless after he drops it but just changing the beams you wont need to have to get alignment bushings or anything.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-10-2007
FMD's Avatar
FMD FMD is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Amherst NY
Posts: 3,811
its got rust spots that im not even gonna bother fixing. juwst gonna wax it and be done with it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-10-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chattanooga
Posts: 5
$400...Awesome...new carpet from online or JCWhitney...seat covers...aluminum wheel cleaner and a toilet brush to use it with...general cleaning and if it runs ok you should triple your money...I've seen worse go for $2500 locally in TN...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sohc 4.0 swap to ohv 4.0 got questions need answers.. segd 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 0 11-17-2011 10:15 PM
old and new if you have pics of your old ride befor your ranger lets see them joshtank General Ford Ranger Discussion 96 01-07-2010 10:17 AM
got some questions for anyone with answers USMCWHITENER 8-Cylinder Tech 2 11-21-2007 11:26 PM
My truck - the LEASED vehical. Enuff questions, heres ur answers! FMD General Ford Ranger Discussion 14 07-14-2007 02:26 PM
Have a question and NEED ANSWERS!!!! Mar_Yo450 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 15 10-07-2006 06:35 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:23 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.