Screwed up oil change.... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 03-22-2011
Murphy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Deptford NJ
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt View Post
well 1 qt over is 20% more so not a good thing ..could cause blowby etc and maybe ruin the cat...
Please explain how it could do that.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-22-2011
wyldechild's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,952
Typically in the winter I will have a shop do it.

Other seasons, I do my own.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-22-2011
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
I think luckily I caught it in time, and had only driven about a half mile. The shop owner decided right away to bring the truck back in and drain out the extra quart. I didn't want it to be overfilled. So far, no damage to report. I just went on a 120 mile road trip with no problems. So it should be okay.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-22-2011
97ranger xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mass.
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Please explain how it could do that.
oil gets oxygenated and causes blowby/seal failure

actually on vw's they warn specifically about cats being ruined ...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2011
BlutoBodine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 543
Just joined the pay someone else to do the work club. Been working on cars for over 25 years and ASE certified for most of those years, but now that I'm no longer earning a living as a mechanic I just don't feel like wrenching ever again. Maybe just got lazy...don't care.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-23-2011
buckgnarly's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: West Topsham, VT
Posts: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Please explain how it could do that.

Crank whips the oil, pump can't pump as well, froathy oil reaches too high in bottom end, etc.....just as bad as too little oil.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-23-2011
Danger06Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lowell, IN
Posts: 620
Ok, ok, let me get this straight. The 4 bangers take 4 qts? Then why does my book say 4.5? I always put in 5 and it puts it at the top of the full mark. I'm confused...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-23-2011
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 737
When I checked the oil level, it was waaay over the full "max" mark.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-23-2011
97ranger xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mass.
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger06Ranger View Post
Ok, ok, let me get this straight. The 4 bangers take 4 qts? Then why does my book say 4.5? I always put in 5 and it puts it at the top of the full mark. I'm confused...
seems in the 2000s it varies a little from year to year 4-4.5 qts

on my 97 it's 5qts.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-23-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
I'm glad my truck burns a little bit of oil, all this talk about it makes me want to go out and check it, but i know that if i do, i'll probably have to add some.

yay for junky valve seals!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-23-2011
97ranger xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mass.
Posts: 459
Icon3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
I'm glad my truck burns a little bit of oil, all this talk about it makes me want to go out and check it, but i know that if i do, i'll probably have to add some.

yay for junky valve seals!
each to his own but i for one would NOT be happy if the engine was
burning oil!

maybe the seals leaking were caused by overfilling the crankcase?
could be or maybe just wear and tear. nothing lasts forever but believe
everyone here is interested in prolonging the lives of their engines.
i have found over the years that proper scheduled oil changes go a long way to doing just that.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-23-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt View Post
each to his own but i for one would NOT be happy if the engine was
burning oil!

maybe the seals leaking were caused by overfilling the crankcase?
could be or maybe just wear and tear. nothing lasts forever but believe
everyone here is interested in prolonging the lives of their engines.
i have found over the years that proper scheduled oil changes go a long way to doing just that.
its a 4.0 with 180k on it. the PO's before me beat the hell out of the truck. it used to leak about a quart every month. now its down to half a quart every 2 months. i know where its leaking in the engine, but i'm trying to sell the truck currently, so i have no desire to tear it apart and fix it.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-23-2011
97ranger xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mass.
Posts: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
its a 4.0 with 180k on it. the PO's before me beat the hell out of the truck. it used to leak about a quart every month. now its down to half a quart every 2 months. i know where its leaking in the engine, but i'm trying to sell the truck currently, so i have no desire to tear it apart and fix it.
ahh well you're probably better off not doing anything with it unless
the body is so good it would be worth looking at a replacement engine.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-23-2011
SteelDirigible's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98liftedranger View Post
Just so everyone knows. Any shop is required to take your old oil if you bring it to them. They can't say no. Just so you know.
not true in all places. When I worked at valvoline we didn't take used oil that we didn't drain ourselves in the oil change.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-23-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Shops aren't obligated to take it here either. Most shops burn waste oil for heat now, at work we buy it, we also end up with a holy sh!tload of sludge and antifreeze that is worth absolutely nothing
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-23-2011
Danger06Ranger's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lowell, IN
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97ranger xlt View Post
seems in the 2000s it varies a little from year to year 4-4.5 qts

on my 97 it's 5qts.
My 4.0 takes 4.5, but I never had a problem with puttin 5 in on any of me engines like that. My Grand Ams 2.5 took 3 though, lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Oil for oil change RLong31 Oil & Lubrication 42 09-30-2016 07:56 PM
Synthetic oil and once a year oil change indyranger Oil & Lubrication 13 07-21-2015 06:46 AM
To change or not to change? (tranny oil) d1zturbe3d Drivetrain Tech 15 06-09-2012 08:16 AM
My cardomain site is screwed up. straightedge Ranger-Forums Office 10 01-19-2005 11:32 PM
SCREWED on RPS. need help from FL members!!! TheForce02 Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 12 09-05-2004 06:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.