General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Two small exhaust leaks

  #1  
Old 03-20-2019
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 69
Two small exhaust leaks

Well I took my own advice and decided to check my exhaust system for leaks lol

Both are in the driver's side manifold.

I just changed the exhaust manifold gaskets when I did my head gasket. One of the studs where the leak is at was a little loose so I torqued it down.
Didn't really change anything. Should I loosen the bolts up and re torque everything down? If i remember the shop manual specified 18 ft lbs. But no sequence.

The other is from the flange gasket?
and do the bolts have to be replaced? I'm not sure what they're called either lol
I never worked on the exhaust system itself so forgive my ignorance



 
  #2  
Old 03-20-2019
thyde's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 99
You are exactly one step ahead of me all the time lol. I have to get out there and do the shop vac leak test on my 2.3 and inevitably find some leaks.

Do you have any noise?

I do. That's why I suspect leaks.
 
  #3  
Old 03-20-2019
thyde's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 99
Torque on the 4 cylinder anyway is 40 ft-lb. 18 might be too loose, but I don't have specs for the 6 cylinder. I can't imagine it would be wildly different though.
 
  #4  
Old 03-20-2019
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,744
The manifold gasket looks like its already separated so "blown", have to replace it IMO
 
  #5  
Old 03-20-2019
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 69
Originally Posted by thyde View Post
You are exactly one step ahead of me all the time lol. I have to get out there and do the shop vac leak test on my 2.3 and inevitably find some leaks.

Do you have any noise?

I do. That's why I suspect leaks.
No noise actually. Just a random check while the shop vac was already out

Originally Posted by RonD View Post
The manifold gasket looks like its already separated so "blown", have to replace it IMO
But how? I just replaced it with a fel pro gasket

Is there a gasket in-between the pipe and manifold where I show the second leak? I came across a post in the explorer forums saying there's no donut/flange gasket. I just need confirmation.

If there is, Rock Auto does lists multiple styled flange gaskets. Which one would I need?
 
  #6  
Old 03-20-2019
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 12,744
Doesn't take much to separate a new gasket if its not pressed flat, you should try tightening but don't break the bolt/stud
3.0l and 4.0l are about 16ft/lb torque
4cyl exhaust manifold is longer and yes, 40ft/lb, some are more

No donut on the pipe, its just a press fit that can swivel a bit as engine moves on its mounts
Make sure manifold stud is down all the way, tighten nut snug then 40ft/lb
 
  #7  
Old 03-20-2019
thyde's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Bethlehem, PA
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Doesn't take much to separate a new gasket if its not pressed flat, you should try tightening but don't break the bolt/stud
3.0l and 4.0l are about 16ft/lb torque
4cyl exhaust manifold is longer and yes, 40ft/lb, some are more

No donut on the pipe, its just a press fit that can swivel a bit as engine moves on its mounts
Make sure manifold stud is down all the way, tighten nut snug then 40ft/lb
I stand corrected. I'm surprised the torque is so low for the V motor. Wow.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hillyard
Exterior Semi-Tech
1
03-11-2015 08:04 AM
dixie_boysles
Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech
19
02-15-2010 03:13 PM
Sixt9coug
Exterior Semi-Tech
20
12-13-2009 06:02 AM
thejsx
Drivetrain Tech
7
10-09-2006 04:27 PM
pacodiablo
General Ford Ranger Discussion
3
07-10-2004 01:01 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Two small exhaust leaks


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.