Unconfirmed Legal Status of Train Horns - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-25-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Here's one of probably several California laws prohibiting train horns...
Quote:
27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be
equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting
sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less
than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh
sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use
in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits
sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.
...don't be surprised if words like these appear in your state's laws if people start honking their train horns at inappropriate times.

Also in California we have this one preventing the use of PA systems or stereos to emit sound audible 50 feet or more from your vehicle.
Quote:
27007. No driver of a vehicle shall operate, or permit the
operation of, any sound amplification system which can be heard
outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet when the vehicle is being
operated upon a highway, unless that system is being operated to
request assistance or warn of a hazardous situation...
One of my friends in high school got a ticket for playing his stereo too loud driving home from school once. I remember it was a pretty big ticket but I don't remember how much...at least in the mid $100s maybe multiple $100s...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-25-2008
jeffb502's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Santa Maria CA
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw2159 View Post
i could care less if they are illlegal er not

im gonna have them,
and im GONNA blow the **** out of them whenever i want

=]

thank you
I know you don't care but here's the North Carolina law in case you need to plan a defense for when you're standing in front of the traffic court judge
Quote:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...hapter_20.html

20‑125. Horns and warning devices.

(a) Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, and it shall be unlawful, except as otherwise provided in this section, for any vehicle to be equipped with or for any person to use upon a vehicle any siren, compression or spark plug whistle or for any person at any time to use a horn otherwise than as a reasonable warning or to make any unnecessary or unreasonable loud or harsh sound by means of a horn or other warning device. All such horns and warning devices shall be maintained in good working order and shall conform to regulation not inconsistent with this section to be promulgated by the Commissioner.

(bold added for emphasis)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-25-2008
jaysinpa's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Brighton, PA
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_edge View Post
>
> (D) The horn as required in section 4513.21 of the Revised Code shall be
> clearly identifiable as a motor vehicle horn. The device for operating the
> horn shall be properly marked meeting Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard
> (FMVSS) 571.101 of the Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.) cited as 49
> C.F.R. 571.101 (revised effective 9/1/2006) regarding controls, telltales,
> and indictors and shall be located so it may be easily controlled by the
> driver.
>
I think the first two sentences in the above paragraph pretty much sum it up for you.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-25-2008
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
I guess I just don't get the whole train horn thing. Why do people want a horn that can blow like 140 decibels?

"Yay! Look at me I can scare the living **** out of people next to me, and probably give ol' Grandma over in the Grand Am 2 cars back a heart attack. WOO!"

But I guess to each his own. Can anyone give me a good why reason (I'm trying to ask seriously here, not trying to be a dick). It's a mod, yes. But does it functionality? Most mods I know are for looks or performance. Doesn't seem to fit into either.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-25-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperX103 View Post
I guess I just don't get the whole train horn thing. Why do people want a horn that can blow like 140 decibels?

"Yay! Look at me I can scare the living **** out of people next to me, and probably give ol' Grandma over in the Grand Am 2 cars back a heart attack. WOO!"

But I guess to each his own. Can anyone give me a good why reason (I'm trying to ask seriously here, not trying to be a dick). It's a mod, yes. But does it functionality? Most mods I know are for looks or performance. Doesn't seem to fit into either.
its an attention getter.

idk i dont really get them either but when I was down with Evan its just a blast to hear them. idk fun times i guess.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-25-2008
yetti96's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 371
That law reads nearly identical to the one here in FL. The law does not state specifically, air powered or "train horns" are illegal, but the unreasonable/harsh sound as well as a decibel violations, as well as disturbing the peace can be cited. They are in my mind illegal but I still have them. Why are people arguing about this? I don't care if your cop waves at you, it just means you are not getting a ticket....not necessarily stating what you are doing is legal. I am with D on this one. I sometime wish I used mine more and could be a dick about it but I have mine hidden for a reason, theft and legality. I use them when necessary. It also has the added bonus of on-board air.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-25-2008
TexasRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: austin, TX
Posts: 1,252
even if you can wiggle your way around the horn legalities, i bet they are loud enough to get you a noise violation or disturbing the peace. or some other BS general ticket a the po can throw at you
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-25-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
In FL, like i said earlier, now police (maybe it's just my city) can conduct a traffic stop just for seeing the horns. They consider it unsafe and improper equipment. It is a big deal because the lights change with the horns (or at least thats what I was told during ride a longs), and they will write you a bunch of tickets. I don't have them, and I probably won't, I'll just stick to onboard air.

I am assuming it's just my city, but it could be county or state wide. if they see them, you can get pulled for them, and at least get an improper and unsafe equipment ticket. It's an "off road only" thing, so they say. they really hate them because it scares people and it makes the city look bad.

It's the same thing, our city tries to keep itself clean, no bums are allowed, I'm not sure how they classify a "bum" but they get arrested.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-25-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
A horn isnt a siren, whistle, or bell so you're good.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-25-2008
CBFranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130 View Post
In FL, like i said earlier, now police (maybe it's just my city) can conduct a traffic stop just for seeing the horns. They consider it unsafe and improper equipment. It is a big deal because the lights change with the horns (or at least thats what I was told during ride a longs), and they will write you a bunch of tickets. I don't have them, and I probably won't, I'll just stick to onboard air.

I am assuming it's just my city, but it could be county or state wide. if they see them, you can get pulled for them, and at least get an improper and unsafe equipment ticket. It's an "off road only" thing, so they say. they really hate them because it scares people and it makes the city look bad.

It's the same thing, our city tries to keep itself clean, no bums are allowed, I'm not sure how they classify a "bum" but they get arrested.
Who ever told you lights change with horns has no idea what they are talking about.

Lights equiped to change for emergency vehicles have an RF or infrared receiver mounted on the pole near the light or hung next to the light. The vehicles have a device which emits the proper code to change the light.

Train horns are not illegal. However, horns are reserved for traffic emergencies....technically. So, dont go around blowing them just to scare pedestrians.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-25-2008
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBFranger View Post
Who ever told you lights change with horns has no idea what they are talking about.

Lights equiped to change for emergency vehicles have an RF or infrared receiver mounted on the pole near the light or hung next to the light. The vehicles have a device which emits the proper code to change the light.

Train horns are not illegal. However, horns are reserved for traffic emergencies....technically. So, dont go around blowing them just to scare pedestrians.
Wonderful, I learn something new everyday...now I know what the RF box is on the inside top of the engine...it makes a whistling sound, and does not alternate with the lights...makes sense. They don't tell us jack...someone told me that was actually a police officer...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Train/Semi horns, who makes a good one? lostguitarist General Ford Ranger Discussion 5 07-27-2008 08:08 AM
train horns mossyoak03 General Ford Ranger Discussion 23 11-29-2007 11:26 AM
Screw the train horns, I want these thesoundmaster New Ideas 19 10-15-2007 09:48 PM
Cheapest Train Horns? Trevelyn1015 General Technical & Electrical 9 10-03-2007 12:11 PM
Guys w/ train horns be jealous...well maybe not... RangerJustin Exterior Semi-Tech 13 02-27-2007 08:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:07 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.