Winter Wheeling - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 01-10-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
You also have gravity against you.

Try taking something heavy and having to carry or push it up a ladder. It's exhausting and hard to do isn't it? That's basically what driving your truck is like.

Now how much easier would it be if you climbed up to the top of the ladder to the roof and had a pulley so that you could just pull that heavy load up the ladder from the ground to the roof? That would be aslot easier wouldn't it? That would be more like having front or 4 wheel drive, because the weight is being pulled, rather than pushed.

Think of a freight train. Why do locomotives always pull from the front and never push?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-10-2009
Blackonblackfx4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 914
where'd you get the lights that fit in your grill?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-10-2009
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
sas it and your problem will be solved i know today durring the 8 inches of snow we got b4 i loaded my truck with wood i didnt get around to well but once i got a full truck load it did much better
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-10-2009
06fx4jb83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: east hartford,ct
Posts: 304
u need 4wd or some weight in the bed
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-10-2009
06fx4jb83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: east hartford,ct
Posts: 304
u need 4wd or some weight in the bed, espically in the snow. Its night and day when u compare 2wd to 4wd in the snow
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-10-2009
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06fx4jb83 View Post
Its night and day when u compare 2wd to 4wd in the snow
Along with every circumstance requiring traction
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-10-2009
sullys_ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NewLexington, Ohio
Posts: 3,615
lol anyways back on topic, looks fun phil! we got nothing but rain down here, I was dissappointed!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-10-2009
06fx4jb83's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: east hartford,ct
Posts: 304
amen sniper
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackonblackfx4 View Post
where'd you get the lights that fit in your grill?
At least try to post something pertaining to the thread instead of totally hacking it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey View Post
sas it and your problem will be solved i know today durring the 8 inches of snow we got b4 i loaded my truck with wood i didnt get around to well but once i got a full truck load it did much better
What is having a solid axle in the front have anything to do with just driving in the snow?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-10-2009
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark98xlt View Post
because we didnt take the easy way out and buy 4wd?
LOL, would you do this in your truck mark????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc31GXiaRYo
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-10-2009
sniper_101's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Sask, Canada
Posts: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
LOL, would you do this in your truck mark????????????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc31GXiaRYo
I wouldn't exactly call that "wheelin", as you could have done 90% of that in 2wd. I do however enjoying looking at your truck.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-10-2009
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Hell, you could probably get in a front wheel drive Civic and go places your truck won't go.
having driven in the snow in both vehicles the fwd civic (and accord, and integra) i have had preceding the truck did much better .... both the accord and integra were lowered, and the accord had performance tires lol
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-10-2009
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper_101 View Post
I wouldn't exactly call that "wheelin", as you could have done 90% of that in 2wd. I do however enjoying looking at your truck.
LOL try that 38 inch creek crossing in a 2wd lowered truck like marks... hehe thats what im talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-10-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt View Post
having driven in the snow in both vehicles the fwd civic (and accord, and integra) i have had preceding the truck did much better .... both the accord and integra were lowered, and the accord had performance tires lol

I was just trying to make a comparison that say that just because you have a truck,does not necessarily mean that it is better in the snow. Infact, after 2 winters of driving 2wd pickups in the snow, if I could not have 4wd, I would much rather drive a car.

Just because with a truck you have more ground clearance and bigger tires than a car doesn't mean that you're going to fair any better. You might get a little bit further...but that's just a little further in that you're going to get stuck.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
LOL try that 38 inch creek crossing in a 2wd lowered truck like marks... hehe thats what im talking about.
Mark doesn't have a lowered truck anymore
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 01-10-2009
manofak's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: elk grove, IL
Posts: 225
lol im 16 and this is my second winter of driving, i have a 2wd with a 3.0 and a open rear and my truck has no weight in the back and i drive with my gas at 1/4 tank and i do just fine. i just went out to parking lots everyday and learned to drift/countsteer and control the truck and what it wants to do and how it wants to react. i do fine in the snow i find it fun. i dont have any problems with my truck and counterstreering it is second nature to me. so lol just learn how your truck reacts and test diffrent methods and you'll learn to deal with it
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-10-2009
TheBearJeweler's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 3,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Mark doesn't have a lowered truck anymore
oh yea, he has a stock height 2wd.... try that with a stock height 2wd. lol
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-10-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofak View Post
lol im 16 and this is my second winter of driving, i have a 2wd with a 3.0 and a open rear and my truck has no weight in the back and i drive with my gas at 1/4 tank and i do just fine. i just went out to parking lots everyday and learned to drift/countsteer and control the truck and what it wants to do and how it wants to react. i do fine in the snow i find it fun. i dont have any problems with my truck and counterstreering it is second nature to me. so lol just learn how your truck reacts and test diffrent methods and you'll learn to deal with it

Oversteer is simple to deal with. It's understeer that will scare you Shirtless.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-10-2009
0RangerEdge2's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey
Oversteer is simple to deal with. It's understeer that will scare you Shirtless.
I know understeer doesn't scare me shirtless but it usually scares me one letter shy of shirtless. Actually, I hardly have problems. I've been driving my truck for 4 winters now. With a bed cap and decent tires I don't have too many problems.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-10-2009
crazymikey's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: your mom
Posts: 4,008
I threw the R in there so it wouldnt censor it lol.

Understeer is controllable in fwd if you know what you're doing,but it's damn scary with rwd. Understeer is one of those "don't touch the brakes no matter what" kind of situations. Let off the throttle or pop it in neutral or a lower gear and you might/should regain some grip.

Understeer just means you are driving too fast.

Last edited by crazymikey; 01-10-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-10-2009
manofak's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: elk grove, IL
Posts: 225
yea crazymike you are right when ever that happens i always think "**** how much is this gunna cosy me" luckily ive never hit anything.... that did damage
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
I threw the R in there so it wouldnt censor it lol.

Understeer is controllable in fwd if you know what you're doing,but it's damn scary with rwd.
It sure is, theres that one point where you don't know if your going to be able to steer it out of the drift or its going all the way around. I hate that feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-10-2009
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweler54 View Post
oh yea, he has a stock height 2wd.... try that with a stock height 2wd. lol
nah wed rather use the bridge and not have the diff fill with water.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofak View Post
yea crazymike you are right when ever that happens i always think "**** how much is this gunna cosy me" luckily ive never hit anything.... that did damage
Yeah it sucks when that happens, black ice suckssssss

Name:  0120081651.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  0120081652.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  44.9 KB
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt View Post
nah wed rather use the bridge and not have the diff fill with water.
Theres this fancy thing called vent tubes that prevent that from happening
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Wheeling Take 2 reader585 General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 02-09-2010 09:30 AM
Went Winter Wheeling today reader585 General Ford Ranger Discussion 30 02-19-2009 11:28 AM
Winter Wheeling this weekend in CO thesoundmaster Snapshots 33 01-21-2009 02:20 AM
Your winter mods.... BCranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 82 12-03-2006 10:11 PM
Question about tires for this winter... popecruz Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 51 11-06-2005 10:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.