is this worth it. 7.3 - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 09-20-2011
wyldechild's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,952
I understand the want for a diesel. I want one too. I've wanted one for a long time. They are cool as hell. I especially love those OBS 7.3's.

But, I can't justify buying one. I don't tow, and have nothing that needs to be towed. In the future, I will. Then i'll pick up a diesel.

If I were you, i'd pass. I've heard you say you're on a college students budget. Diesels can add up fast, and get real expensive. Especially if they haven't been properly maintained. More so then a regular gas vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-20-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cocoa, FL
Posts: 555
I'd love to have one.

Nothing like the black smoke. But it's definitely an expensive thing to maintain.

I get 12mpg in my Ranger, I've been considering a 4wd 6.0 superduty just for the differences in milage.

Not much, but If I'm already getting slammed in the wallet for gas, I might as well get a full size diesel. The truck I want most.

Will I? Probably not, I hate my $35 oil changes with Mobil 1, I don't think I could handle like $70 for an oil change.

On the other hand, the diesel would get worked, I tow all sorts of stuff with the ranger, and the 302 does work, but takes more trips cause I can't haul as much. My buddies boat weighs a good 5k and that is beyond what the Ranger can handle, but it does it barely. I would get a diesel jsut for that. My 14ft Tracker doesn't require a diesel, as a matter of fact I saw a Prius towing the same boat the other day...

I could justify a diesel, but I'm not getting one until college is over.

Another though 4bt swap. Cooler and yo ukeep your awesome Ranger. :-P
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-20-2011
leadfoot's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 894
That red Diesel has 186,000 miles on it. Even if the motor is kept up the truck is at a point where various parts will need replacing, you will always be fixing something on that truck as regular maintenance with the miles you drive.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-20-2011
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
x2.
Didn't Beard just sell his diesel because the maintenance was killing him?
If you have no real use for a diesel, your asking for more trouble than you have now. Do you like to get in your truck, turn the key and go? Forget that.
Do you like paying $0.20 more a gallon (at least thats what it is here) for gas?
Also, Your a Ford Mechanic. last i knew, they didn't give you much training on diesels. if something breaks your probably not going to be able to fix it yourself.
All of my diesel buddies don't even want to touch older powerstrokes like that, according to them, they're about as a good of a boat anchor as an engine.

just my thoughts.
You can get in the diesel, turn the key, and go. I do it every day in mine. When I asked Beard why he didn't do this with his he said it was because he wanted too......

$0.20 more a gallon for fuel, but better mileage....

Working on a 6.0 or 7.3 isn't bad.

There are tons of engines most people would use as a boat anchor before a 7.3


Quote:
Originally Posted by buckgnarly View Post
If you like turning your own wrenches I would not let a diesel scare you off.....I would however worry if you want something that will run every time you turn teh key or want an economical vehicle. Diesels can be learned, but be prepared to have some downtime while learning...
And be prepared when the batteries need replaced with no warning whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickskates4lyfe View Post
I'd love to have one.

Nothing like the black smoke. But it's definitely an expensive thing to maintain.

I get 12mpg in my Ranger, I've been considering a 4wd 6.0 superduty just for the differences in milage.

Not much, but If I'm already getting slammed in the wallet for gas, I might as well get a full size diesel. The truck I want most.

Will I? Probably not, I hate my $35 oil changes with Mobil 1, I don't think I could handle like $70 for an oil change.

On the other hand, the diesel would get worked, I tow all sorts of stuff with the ranger, and the 302 does work, but takes more trips cause I can't haul as much. My buddies boat weighs a good 5k and that is beyond what the Ranger can handle, but it does it barely. I would get a diesel jsut for that. My 14ft Tracker doesn't require a diesel, as a matter of fact I saw a Prius towing the same boat the other day...

I could justify a diesel, but I'm not getting one until college is over.

Another though 4bt swap. Cooler and yo ukeep your awesome Ranger. :-P
If you want a 6.0 forget about a $70 oil change, prepare yourself for closer to $120.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-20-2011
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
x2.
Didn't Beard just sell his diesel because the maintenance was killing him?
If you have no real use for a diesel, your asking for more trouble than you have now. Do you like to get in your truck, turn the key and go? Forget that.
Do you like paying $0.20 more a gallon (at least thats what it is here) for gas?
Also, Your a Ford Mechanic. last i knew, they didn't give you much training on diesels. if something breaks your probably not going to be able to fix it yourself.
All of my diesel buddies don't even want to touch older powerstrokes like that, according to them, they're about as a good of a boat anchor as an engine.

just my thoughts.
Apples to oranges. The 6.4 is nothing like the 7.3.

Don't let people in this thread sway your decision about whether to get a diesel or not. Do yourself a favor and do what I did, go on a DIESEL website and search around. Look for common problems/issues and learn about every aspect of the truck. I have 2001 7.3 and it was has been one of the best decisions i've made. I absolutely love my truck, so much better than a Ranger. Oil changes cost about $70 (15 qts+filter) and if I remember correctly fuel filters are about $25 +/-. So far the best fuel mileage i've gotten was 18 mpg.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-20-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
I bought mine because I like the OBS trucks and I needed something to pull the gooseneck with. I spent $4700 on it which I thought was fair.

The only things I deal with on my 7.3 just the engine are A: the wiring slowly degrading B: Orings slowly degrading. It likes to develop oil leaks, so I fix them as they come along. I'm getting near having new o-rings on everything. As long as you can diagnosis electical issues and understand the engines, they're usually quite cheap to repair. With 260K miles on it, it's also going though a round of chassis parts. Steering box, tierod ends, ball joints. Not a big deal because I do all of my own work, but for someone who has to get it to a shop, it will add up very quickly.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-20-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
That and I pay $16.99 for 2.5 gallons of semi syn oil. My last oil change was $50. Not to rough.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-20-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEDGE View Post
You can get in the diesel, turn the key, and go. I do it every day in mine. When I asked Beard why he didn't do this with his he said it was because he wanted too......

$0.20 more a gallon for fuel, but better mileage....

Working on a 6.0 or 7.3 isn't bad.

There are tons of engines most people would use as a boat anchor before a 7.3

.
your in a newer style Diesel. Glow plugs have to heat up. don't they? If i'm wrong, by all means call me a arrogant ******* and explain it. I don't know jack about them. thats why i have Diesel buddies.
How much better mileage, i hate to keep going back to it. but thats old technology. I see 14-16 mpg in the city with my Ranger. I can't image that a heavier truck gets better mileage than that.
As far as the boat anchor engines go. I've heard anything International made and stuck in a Ford was good. if its not international avoid it like the plague.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-20-2011
kanuck15's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 844
The 7.3 is the best engine as far as international motors. Because ford adapted the trucks to the motor. When ford decided to adapt the motor to the truck they ran into issues I.E. the 6.0. International trucks with that motor had maybe one tenth the issues that ford trucks did because of fords tinkering with the motor. The 6.4 is the same story but even worse.

My dads 94.5 PSD 5 speed with 3.55 gears gets 23mpg religiously. Its got 309k on it and has been beaten all of its life. It all depends on the truck. Some just do better than others
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-20-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
My dad has a 99 7.3L and he loves it. He's had very few problems with it.

He averages about 18 MPG. I think he would do better if he would buy a tuner, but he doesn't like modding trucks like I do.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-20-2011
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
your in a newer style Diesel. Glow plugs have to heat up. don't they? If i'm wrong, by all means call me a arrogant ******* and explain it. I don't know jack about them. thats why i have Diesel buddies.
How much better mileage, i hate to keep going back to it. but thats old technology. I see 14-16 mpg in the city with my Ranger. I can't image that a heavier truck gets better mileage than that.
As far as the boat anchor engines go. I've heard anything International made and stuck in a Ford was good. if its not international avoid it like the plague.
The WTS light on mine takes less than 5 seconds to go off. Its probably a bit longer on the OBS Fords, but I can't imagine that it takes so long you can't just get in and go. Unless its super cold outside in which case you'd probably be warming your truck up no matter what it was.


As far as International motors being good in Fords, their engines reach both ends of the spectrum. The 7.3 is known as one of the best engines and the 6.0 is known as one of the worst. All Fords diesels have been made by International with the exception of the newest 6.7l.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-20-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Wirelessly posted

The WTS light is longer on the older 7.3s but what I do at work is put the key in and turn it to KOEO then get set and get in the fire it up. The 6.7 is almost instant. My diesel knowledge is limited but I enjoy learning more. I have made my decision and the sneer is no. Reason being I don't even use my ranger as a truck I use it like a car
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-20-2011
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Sissy.
























Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-20-2011
04RangerDave's Avatar
JDM> RANGER

Thread Starter
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 5,030
Wirelessly posted

What am I suppose to do with it. Most I've ever had in the bed was a bed full of fire wood and mulch. As far as towing a trailer I moved a boat 50 feet. And flat towed pos SAAB.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-20-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
Drive it like someone is robbing your house and the cops won't help you. That's what I usually end up doing. Even if it is hooked to the gooseneck.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-20-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolsmojave3 View Post
Drive it like someone is robbing your house and the cops won't help you. That's what I usually end up doing. Even if it is hooked to the gooseneck.
Isn't that how your supposed to drive all the time?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-20-2011
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Isn't that how your supposed to drive all the time?
I've always heard you can't baby it all the time. My dad used to do that and his MPG's started dropping off. After towing a couple of cars and letting me blow the cobwebs out the truck has ran better and his mileage has gone back up
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-20-2011
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
I've always heard you can't baby it all the time. My dad used to do that and his MPG's started dropping off. After towing a couple of cars and letting me blow the cobwebs out the truck has ran better and his mileage has gone back up
I used to take every car i drove out of that dealership on two wheels.
Wanna know how i know how much body roll a mustang has before it starts to lift off the ground?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-20-2011
Toms994x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sanford, NC
Posts: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
How much better mileage, i hate to keep going back to it. but thats old technology. I see 14-16 mpg in the city with my Ranger. I can't image that a heavier truck gets better mileage than that.
Depending on how I drive, I get about the same. I've seen a best of 18 mpg and most of the time I get around 15-16 mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RangerDave View Post
Wirelessly postedReason being I don't even use my ranger as a truck I use it like a car
As do I. I bought my truck because I wanted a diesel and I wanted a crew cab. My truck has a gooseneck hitch in the bed but I have no use for it.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-21-2011
rolsmojave3's Avatar
Level III Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,852
As far as I'm concerned a Diesel should be worked and get nice and warm. That's what it was made to do. Running down the highway cruising will shine up your cylinders and generally let the turbo pass a little oil.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
are traction bars really worth it? 92 Ranger Suspension Tech 17 06-04-2005 05:06 PM
"Specialty" Oil... Is it worth it? CjRanger99 General Ford Ranger Discussion 30 05-06-2005 03:10 PM
k and n filters and intakes- are they worth the money? james13f 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 31 04-27-2005 12:17 AM
what do headers do? (worth the money?) james13f 2.9L & 3.0L V6 Tech 11 03-28-2005 05:15 AM
Synthetic: Is it worth it? fireradio General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 10-27-2004 02:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:25 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.