Which Would Be A Better Head Light ? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Ford Ranger Discussion General discussion of the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-05-2008
Bart68's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 129
Icon5 Which Would Be A Better Head Light ?

I'm in need of new headlights because of yellowing and such on my 94 and want to replace them with a set of these but I'm not sure which one would be better.


THESE


OR THESE


I havn't bought any yet and I thought I'd ask Y'all first.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-05-2008
Lord Of War's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Thornton, Colorado
Posts: 4,599
I like the looks of the second ones better but as far as being an overall superior unit I am not sure.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-05-2008
k.blakeley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,823
whats the prices on both
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-05-2008
Bart68's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 129
Icon6

Actually I'm not sure, I don't think they were that far apart that it would be a issue. I'm just looking for a light that will work well and give me some decent night vision. I have PIAA's in my current head lights and they help but I need better..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-05-2008
02rangermayhem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: C.Springs
Posts: 573
go wit the projectors. they look kool. i almost got a pair like that for my old ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-06-2008
ryes77's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Niagara Falls Canada
Posts: 10
if price doesnt seem to be an issue i would def go with the projectors, because if you want to upgrade to HID's in the future youll need these. I seem to find people using HIDs without the projector lens' and you just end up causing more harm to on coming traffic by blinding them. Atleast the projector projects the beam in a straighter more confind spot, opposed to your normal headlight would just fire the beam all over the place...causing some angry oncoming traffic lol
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-06-2008
Bart68's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryes77 View Post
if price doesnt seem to be an issue i would def go with the projectors, because if you want to upgrade to HID's in the future youll need these. I seem to find people using HIDs without the projector lens' and you just end up causing more harm to on coming traffic by blinding them. Atleast the projector projects the beam in a straighter more confind spot, opposed to your normal headlight would just fire the beam all over the place...causing some angry oncoming traffic lol
Very good idea, I was thinking those because they have a built in driving light but it would be even better if I could HID those and I could wire them to come on with my highbeams.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-06-2008
sambob117's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,124
def go with the projectors
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-06-2008
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Like everyone said the projectors are your better buy down the road when you want HID's.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-06-2008
02rangermayhem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: C.Springs
Posts: 573
i dont think anyone really has paid to much attention to the fact that the projector headlight assem. isnt really a "projector headlight." the "turn signal" light is the projector not the "Headlight." so are u really going to get HID turn signals???
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-06-2008
Bart68's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kamloops B.C.
Posts: 129
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rangermayhem View Post
i dont think anyone really has paid to much attention to the fact that the projector headlight assem. isnt really a "projector headlight." the "turn signal" light is the projector not the "Headlight." so are u really going to get HID turn signals???
My 94 has side turn signals so I'm sure that the projector part is or can be made to fit driving light bulbs which means I should be able to HID it and if not then a set of PIAA's will work just fine.

Has anyone bought those for the 93 to 97 styled front end and if so can the projector part be used for driving lights?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-06-2008
Needforspeed3685's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Lowell, AR
Posts: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rangermayhem View Post
i dont think anyone really has paid to much attention to the fact that the projector headlight assem. isnt really a "projector headlight." the "turn signal" light is the projector not the "Headlight." so are u really going to get HID turn signals???
You should pay attention to the year in question. Your year has a turn signal integrated into the headlight housing from the factory, UNLIKE a 1994, which is a separate housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart68 View Post
My 94 has side turn signals so I'm sure that the projector part is or can be made to fit driving light bulbs which means I should be able to HID it and if not then a set of PIAA's will work just fine.

Has anyone bought those for the 93 to 97 styled front end and if so can the projector part be used for driving lights?

Like my generation, the turn signal is in a different housing than the headlight. The "projector" portion of your headlight is indeed a second headlight with a different beam pattern.

See?



Name:  IMG_5430.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  15.0 KB

However, please note that the intense heat generated by HID bulbs will most likely melt the projector housing. I'd be willing to bet when you get those they will have a specific warning sticker for this reason. You'd be better off getting a set of PIAA or Silverstar bulbs for the projector housings.

Last edited by Needforspeed3685; 02-06-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-06-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needforspeed3685 View Post
You should pay attention to the year in question. Your year has a turn signal integrated into the headlight housing from the factory, UNLIKE a 1994, which is a separate housing.




Like my generation, the turn signal is in a different housing than the headlight. The "projector" portion of your headlight is indeed a second headlight with a different beam pattern.

See?





However, please note that the intense heat generated by HID bulbs will most likely melt the projector housing. I'd be willing to bet when you get those they will have a specific warning sticker for this reason. You'd be better off getting a set of PIAA or Silverstar bulbs for the projector housings.
that is not a true statement. Actualy HID creat less heat and has been proved by Captin Obvious with a heat tool between a normal bulb and a HID.

A hid is like a Floresent light ficture or your screw in floresent witch dont get very hot the halogens that i had that were PIAA's melted my light socket with Upgraded Harness from summitracing.com

you can look up the lest that he did it is i think 25* less then a standard halogen bulb.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-06-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Here is the full test the pics are not there but you can read the outcome

the temps at 45mins for both halogen and HID:

Halogen = 125*

HID = 104*

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...ght=HID&page=2
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-06-2008
02rangermayhem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: C.Springs
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needforspeed3685 View Post
You should pay attention to the year in question. Your year has a turn signal integrated into the headlight housing from the factory, UNLIKE a 1994, which is a separate housing.


Like my generation, the turn signal is in a different housing than the headlight. The "projector" portion of your headlight is indeed a second headlight with a different beam pattern.

However, please note that the intense heat generated by HID bulbs will most likely melt the projector housing. I'd be willing to bet when you get those they will have a specific warning sticker for this reason. You'd be better off getting a set of PIAA or Silverstar bulbs for the projector housings.
buy the way i understand that his truck is a 94'. u can clearly see i had just for got. and if u paid attention u would have noticed that i had a 96'. his truck and mine fell into the same exterior generation. (93'-97' interior changed for 95'-03')

also......
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rangermayhem View Post
go wit the projectors. they look kool. i almost got a pair like that for my old ranger.
Are the projector's the daytime lights or the actual low beam?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-06-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rangermayhem View Post
buy the way i understand that his truck is a 94'. u can clearly see i had just for got. and if u paid attention u would have noticed that i had a 96'. his truck and mine fell into the same exterior generation. (93'-97' interior changed for 95'-03')

also......

Are the projector's the daytime lights or the actual low beam?
the projectors have there own push button switch that you wire up into your cab. the projectors can be used for your low beam if you want. a lot of people do. the regular one is where you put the 9007 bulb can be used just like the stock aplication high and low beam.

you can have the projectors on and just your runing lights on at night to drive in the dark or have both your choice.

they also make other housings that have a larger Projector in them for better light if you want to use the projector full time.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-06-2008
02rangermayhem's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: C.Springs
Posts: 573
thats what i was wandering. it would be pointless to have the HID's in the projector if it was just a daytime light.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-06-2008
RangerMuse's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,727
I say the second ones look better to me but I am no expert on lights just sayin
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-07-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rangermayhem View Post
thats what i was wandering. it would be pointless to have the HID's in the projector if it was just a daytime light.
it would be but it is a low beam.

my friend has the 2d one with HID's in them the 8k and his looks good nice cut off it just has to be adjusted upwards to see further down the road.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
which would be better?? Off-roadranger04 Suspension Tech 8 11-18-2009 09:35 PM
so then would you say this would be better? DeMar17 Audio & Video Tech 1 05-04-2009 05:54 PM
OK guys which rim would look better on my truck? 2004FORDRANGER Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 28 03-28-2007 07:32 PM
Which would be better for MY application? lifted97ranger Drivetrain Tech 10 01-13-2007 03:47 PM
Which is the better flowing head, D-port or twin plug Kenneth S 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 8 06-29-2006 03:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.