88 ranger temp & fuel gauges not working - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 05-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
88 ranger runs & dies MORE PROBLEMS

Adjusted ign. timing today; After driving down the road today, few miles; everything seemed to work good; even when accelerating; then a PUFF of smoke came from under hood; although running OK; high press AC hose blew apart at spring connector; put hose back together; while idling a while to refill ac, engine stumbled & shook; then finally died; was unable to add R123;as my cheap little guage with trigger handle; would not let Freon out when trigger squeesed; (THATS ANOTHER PROBLEM; so I decided to drive further; about 20 miles; to "LOVES" fuel stop, for a cup of coffee; after I left it started to miss or cut out; on & off the whole 20 miles home; a couple times finally completely died, after a couple mins. restarted & would run good until it happened again stopped to get food & gas; 87 octane with NO ethanol; no problem; was dark by then; Maybe try NEW coil the distributer I took out was a rebuilt one with new pickup coil; as was the new(rebuilt one they gave me under lifetime warranty

try new coil???; even if it checked in limits; like you said you can only find a Bad coil; not a good coil breaking down from internal heat?

this is like writing a book, about these problems LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post

Dist. shaft was not loose; put it in 2010, & very very few miles on It
along with new ign. module ,dist. cap, rotor, new spark plugs, new plug LT guarantee wires



tGood work, wondering if distributor pickup/sensor was the problem?
Was shaft wobbly/loose?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-29-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,595
Reads like you are chasing a ghost, lol

Doesn't read like a coil issue.
They tend to die when warm then will start working after a cool down
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-29-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
88 ranger runs & dies MORE PROBLEMS

maybe I could jumper fuel pump wire direct from fp relay to left side drivers side to w. harness that goes to the fuel pumps?; might tell me if fp wires might be broken inside large harness
that happened earlier; in this thread; found fp wiring broken in large harness; from fp relay to fuel pumps?


?????????????

Maybe I need to check wiring to fuel pumps or fp relay again; my $75 Ford Ranger shop manual doesn't have a wiring diagram section; that is another book ; if I had that I might could just wire straight to various items? wiring harnesses are hard to separate & get to wires; maybe jumper hot red wire from sw. to coil & fuel pump relay & dist. module?????? bypassing wires in harnesses??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Reads like you are chasing a ghost, lol

Doesn't read like a coil issue.
They tend to die when warm then will start working after a cool down

Last edited by stevie; 05-29-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-31-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
88 ranger update

Yesterday after putting new coil & new FP relay; drove 19 miles; seemed ok; today; got A/C working again; then drove to coffee shop 15 miles; some missing; made it there; left coffee shop, had occasional missing; but no engine dying; made it home Ok; (my neighbor was ready for me to call him, & come get me if necessary) ; seems to be missing a bit less, but still missing?

Do you think I could run wires direct to fuel pumps from F.P. relay? then drive

or check filter in REAR in tank; has new main fuel filter in front






Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
maybe I could jumper fuel pump wire direct from fp relay to left side drivers side to w. harness that goes to the fuel pumps?; might tell me if fp wires might be broken inside large harness
that happened earlier; in this thread; found fp wiring broken in large harness; from fp relay to fuel pumps?


?????????????

Maybe I need to check wiring to fuel pumps or fp relay again; my $75 Ford Ranger shop manual doesn't have a wiring diagram section; that is another book ; if I had that I might could just wire straight to various items? wiring harnesses are hard to separate & get to wires; maybe jumper hot red wire from sw. to coil & fuel pump relay & dist. module?????? bypassing wires in harnesses??
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
88 ranger runs & dies MORE PROBLEMS

RON; Have you gave up on me??
ran wires from fp relay to both fuel pumps; now it starts & dies; check relay; NO coil voltage to close coil; so ran jumper to red hot with ign. on; F.P. wire to purple fuel pump wires; now fuel pumps work

also now tachometer doesn't work:::

drove about 1/4 miles to neighbors house; killed engine was there for about 1/2 hour; started up; Fired Right up; back towards home it missed a bit THEN Back FIRED, then ok; I just parked it; Do you think some of the old fuel I put back in is still causing a problem


YOUR THOUGHTS????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie View Post
Yesterday after putting new coil & new FP relay; drove 19 miles; seemed ok; today; got A/C working again; then drove to coffee shop 15 miles; some missing; made it there; left coffee shop, had occasional missing; but no engine dying; made it home Ok; (my neighbor was ready for me to call him, & come get me if necessary) ; seems to be missing a bit less, but still missing?

Do you think I could run wires direct to fuel pumps from F.P. relay? then drive

or check filter in REAR in tank; has new main fuel filter in front
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-03-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,595
No, didn't give up, there just seems to be too many directions you are going with and I can't see a common denominator so won't be much help.

What I would do is to install a 12volt test light on the inertia switch, in passenger foot well, install it so you can see the light when driving.
This will tell you if fuel pump is getting power or it is cutting out or dimming while driving.

This would eliminate the fuel pump power or confirm it as the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-04-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
88 RANGER PROBLEMS

Ron; I checked the inertia sw. today; has continuity; but wires are melted at plug in lead; would not come out;; took sw apart & wire plug in is melted to it; need new switch I checked for voltage at both wires separate to ground, no voltage on either with ign. switch on; twisted the 2 purple wires together,(as if going thru inertia sw. ) engine starts & dies NO FUEL PUMPS WORKING; IF I put the jumper wires back to fuel pumps(that I ran, cause fp relay was not energising) >>> then the pumps both work;<<< possible main computer EEC bad; some prob is not energizing the fuel pump relay or the purple wires going thru the inert. switch

Fuel pumps 2 will not work unless I use my jumper wires that I ran to ea pump at fp relay hot RED wire, when ign is turned to run position; then start & run then misses while driveing



Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
No, didn't give up, there just seems to be too many directions you are going with and I can't see a common denominator so won't be much help.

What I would do is to install a 12volt test light on the inertia switch, in passenger foot well, install it so you can see the light when driving.
This will tell you if fuel pump is getting power or it is cutting out or dimming while driving.

This would eliminate the fuel pump power or confirm it as the problem.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-04-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,595
Fuel pump power is pretty simple

Battery--------Fusible link-----Fuel Pump Relay-------inertia switch------fuel pump(s)

Fuel pump relay is simple to test
Look here: Ford Ranger - Testing EEC-IV Equipped Engines

Second drawing down is the OBDI connector, it should be in engine compartment drivers side near firewall, it is loose just tucked in with other wires.
I can be on passenger side as well but not often.
In the drawing you see the Fuel Pump Slot labelled.

The slot is connected to the same wire the computer uses to Ground the Relay and send power to the pumps as shown above.

If the key is ON and you Ground that slot the fuel pump Relay will "click" closed if it is wired OK, if you remove the Ground it will "click" open.

After you replace inertia switch and hook the wires back up, use the Ground to test if fuel pumps come when slot is Grounded
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-19-2015
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Tecumseh,Ok.
Posts: 26
Hi again Ron; sorry for the delay getting back to you; heavy rains & flooding & washed out roads here

INSTALLED rebuilt main ECU engine control unit, also now tach works again??

grounded wire in plug to ground & fuel pumps work; no voltage IN or OUT to inertia switch, just twisted wires together, still no help so hooked up the 2 wires I added (ones going to the 2 fuel pumps) from red wire in fp relay, now f pumps work; drove about 3 miles; seemed OK?; remember I had put about 3 gals of BAD gas back in tank, after filtering it(ran until almost on empty mark; then added more new gas; maybe tank has a "reserve" & still had some bad gas still in it

acting kind of like when I bought my 1999 merc benz 230slk off ebay; auction car no one knows how long it sat & what gas they put in it; when>> getting down on gas pedal it missed & check engine light came on; after a few cycles of ign switch; ck eng light went off; after about 3 tanks of good 91 octane gas with no ethanol; it finally cleared up; JUST like the 88 ranger, after changing a BUNCH of parts LOL

so I am going to drain all gas out again, then add new no ethanol 87 octane back in see if that stops the occasional missing; runs good when not missing??

WILL KEEP YOU INFORMED, steve


Quote:
Originally Posted by RonD View Post
Fuel pump power is pretty simple

Battery--------Fusible link-----Fuel Pump Relay-------inertia switch------fuel pump(s)

Fuel pump relay is simple to test
Look here: Ford Ranger - Testing EEC-IV Equipped Engines

Second drawing down is the OBDI connector, it should be in engine compartment drivers side near firewall, it is loose just tucked in with other wires.
I can be on passenger side as well but not often.
In the drawing you see the Fuel Pump Slot labelled.

The slot is connected to the same wire the computer uses to Ground the Relay and send power to the pumps as shown above.

If the key is ON and you Ground that slot the fuel pump Relay will "click" closed if it is wired OK, if you remove the Ground it will "click" open.

After you replace inertia switch and hook the wires back up, use the Ground to test if fuel pumps come when slot is Grounded

Last edited by stevie; 06-19-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-20-2015
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,595
Thanks for the update
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water & oil temp, oil pressure gauges ad74710 General Technical & Electrical 1 05-23-2014 05:59 PM
Want to Buy: Fuel line between fuel filter & fuel pump - TN iplayloudly Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 7 05-02-2012 04:10 PM
Gauges Not Working Rangerboy69 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 3 10-13-2010 10:44 PM
Changed Thermostat now temp guage not working Rangerguy 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 5 07-09-2009 03:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.