K&N vs OEM Paper Airfilters - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-10-2009
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
K&N vs OEM Paper Airfilters

I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of the K&N drop in air filter vs the OEM paper air filter:
















Filter media comparison:










Summary: K&N filter media area = 270 SQ. " OEM Paper media area = 1485 SQ. "
  #2  
Old 03-10-2009
offroadn_redneck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 776
Ok, but which one is better performance wise?
  #3  
Old 03-10-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Wow. Real testing. Good job.

I'd still run the K&N.
  #4  
Old 03-10-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
K&N by far
  #5  
Old 03-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazler View Post
K&N by far
Proof?
  #6  
Old 03-10-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
I love mine.. thats and its cheaper then replacing the paper ones every what 4-6 Months
  #7  
Old 03-10-2009
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazler View Post
K&N by far

For dirt and oil, YUP!!!!!!!!
  #8  
Old 03-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
So it performs better because your love it, real solid proof you got there!
  #9  
Old 03-10-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
lmfao that wasn't proof.. i don't have any its just cheaper in the long run..
  #10  
Old 03-10-2009
whippersnapper02's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
For dirt and oil, YUP!!!!!!!!
A negligible amount of dirt and it will only pass oil if you are a moron when you maintain it.
  #11  
Old 03-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Lol just because its cheaper doesn't mean its better. Dino oil is cheaper but look how many people are paying extra for synthetic. Just playing devils advocate here
  #12  
Old 03-10-2009
offroadn_redneck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 776
paper just looks cheeper anyway. Id get a K&N
  #13  
Old 03-10-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
Someone have access to a dyno for free? We need to test this **** out now..
  #14  
Old 03-10-2009
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I wish I did, I'm curious. For me the K&N has a bigger risk with over oiling it and screwing the MAF up. For those very few extra horsepower I'll just stick with the paper one.
  #15  
Old 03-10-2009
Lazler's Avatar
Senior Member
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brantford, Ontario
Posts: 5,526
Its not that hard I've had a K&N in all 4 of my Vehicles
  #16  
Old 03-10-2009
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Evidently there have been complaints about claiming to increase horsepower,
which is a lie.
I noticed the words have been changed to: "Designed to improve horsepower & acceleration"
  #17  
Old 03-10-2009
bucky919's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadn_redneck View Post
paper just looks cheeper anyway. Id get a K&N
Whens the last time you had to hood open on your vehicle and some guy came over and took your air box apart and said hey you air filter looks cheap. LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I wish I did, I'm curious. For me the K&N has a bigger risk with over oiling it and screwing the MAF up. For those very few extra horsepower I'll just stick with the paper one.
Same here, if the paper ones where so bad and the K&N ones are so good wouldn't Ford put them in there vehicles from the factory????
  #18  
Old 03-10-2009
FireRanger's Avatar  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: CT
Posts: 0
Placing them side-by-side and comparing filter media square footage does not accomplish anything. That's like saying an apple tastes better than a grape because it is bigger. They are two totally different devices that work in totally different manners. This comparison proves nothing for either side.
  #19  
Old 03-10-2009
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
Placing them side-by-side and comparing filter media square footage does not accomplish anything. That's like saying an apple tastes better than a grape because it is bigger. They are two totally different devices that work in totally different manners. This comparison proves nothing for either side.
agreed
  #20  
Old 03-10-2009
Level I Supporter
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 3,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRanger View Post
Placing them side-by-side and comparing filter media square footage does not accomplish anything. That's like saying an apple tastes better than a grape because it is bigger. They are two totally different devices that work in totally different manners. This comparison proves nothing for either side.
I disagree, what it does prove is if the K&N flows more air with that much smaller filter media area, it's going to pass more dirt. This was proven at races like Baja, the reason the K&N was developed! The OEM paper filter would plug up in no time, the K&Ns wouldn't! But since the airfilter isn't what limits the amount of airflow into the engine, you could use chicken wire, and you wouldn't get any more flow over the OEM paper filter!!
  #21  
Old 03-10-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Jesus I can see this thread is going to go downhill quickly.

Here are some more thorough testing done by people. The K&N Filter will have less because it doesn't rely on the physical paper to filter. More the oil, that is why it is renewable.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/h...-filters-work/

Last edited by chainfire; 03-10-2009 at 06:08 PM.
  #22  
Old 03-10-2009
Mykhael's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: .
Posts: 4,197
^Not found

I don't use a filter

Why try to decide between the two? I just refuse to pay for either one because I dont know who is telling the truth.

So I win they lose
  #23  
Old 03-10-2009
Npierce's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 419
I always hate these OEM is better threads... Always telling me stock is better than this and that... This forum i snot about running a stock truck. It was developed for people who wish to modify their vehicle to their liking and the way they want to run it. If they keep it stock then no big deal but if they spend hundreds or thousands or modifying it to what they want you shouldn't give them crap for it...
  #24  
Old 03-10-2009
pace51's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: on da puter
Posts: 711
Quote:
Summary: K&N filter media area = 270 SQ. " OEM Paper media area = 1485 SQ. "
Ok by saying this then you are saying I need to buy the big fat cheap roll of paper towels instead of spending the extra dollar on bounty because it has more sheets. Nevermind the fact that I can ring out and reuse the sheet of bounty.


More is not always better.
  #25  
Old 03-10-2009
Riceman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: GA
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by pace51 View Post
Ok by saying this then you are saying I need to buy the big fat cheap roll of paper towels instead of spending the extra dollar on bounty because it has more sheets. Nevermind the fact that I can ring out and reuse the sheet of bounty.


More is not always better.
Never thought of it that way. I run a K&N, formerly a CAI, now just a drop in and never had any trouble with either. The way I see it, if it was harmful for your vehicle, K&N wouldn't do much business would they? This test seems like a waste of money and two perfectly good filters to me.
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging / Starting issues... (forget the morning paper) sawred General Technical & Electrical 21 08-04-2006 09:48 AM
Sand Paper Question 00RANGER00 Exterior Semi-Tech 5 09-02-2005 10:34 AM
Most expensive piece of paper I've bought yet... Gearhead61 General Ford Ranger Discussion 26 06-09-2005 04:11 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:53 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.