Legal? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-04-2005
dangerranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: muskego, wi
Posts: 536
Legal?

I really like these but dont know if they are legal any help?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...QQcmdZViewItem
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-04-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Yah cuz they have red taillight bulbs still..

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-04-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
WRONG!

They must, BY CODE, have a RED retroreflector on them. The reflector on them is WHITE and they are therefore ILLEGAL.

Listen guys, I've posted this but you're all not getting it, so listen up!

IT'S NOT JUST BULB COLOR OR LAMP COLOR. FRONT OF THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE AN AMBER REFLECTOR. REAR OF THE VEHICLE MUST HAVE A RED ONE.

That's it. Very simple. They have no red reflector, therefore, illegal.

Argue if you want, but the law is clear.

On the other hand, nobody in your state or locale may care. I run clear corners in front with NO amber and nobody cares.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-04-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
those are cool!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-04-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz

Listen guys, I've posted this but you're all not getting it, so listen up!


Ive never seen you say that before...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2005
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2005
9XLT8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Harrisonburg, Va
Posts: 167
thoes are the ones i want for my truck too, the cops here are nice as long as your not being a dumbass or a butt-hole to them
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-04-2005
dangerranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: muskego, wi
Posts: 536
More or less here the cops are pretty cool they dont pull u over for window tints or systems that are to loud but i dont know if they would even let these fly one time i think they might pull u over idk anyone want to be the lab rat?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-04-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERGILDO
Ive never seen you say that before...
Ha! Then you haven't been paying attention...

Actually, I have posted links WAY in the past, and probably back to the old GenEdge days on this. I'm not sure where people get the information about bulb color being the only criteria.

In fact, I posted in a recent topic about black framed clear front corner lamps on this.

Oh, well. Now you know!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-04-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Ha! Then you haven't been .....................

[thinking in my head](I wonder what I should do tonight. Should I say go for it and go drinking with my buddies, or should I play it smart, do some laundry and go to bed. I have a big day at work tommorrow. The VPs are supposed to be showing up and if I stay up late i might end up going to work late....

I wonder how the broncos are going to do next week. We've done good the last two weekends but im not sure if they were luck or just a good team. that defense is sure kickin some ****.

I wonder if samantha, jimmy and holly are coming over tonight. I havent seen them in a while and I wonder if they will know im even back in town. That holly sure is a hot one. too bad jimmy snagged her first. Id love to ... make her dinner. She would melt over my mexican food dishes...

I should get on ranger forums... I wonder whos been on.... oh wait I am on!!!)[/end thinking in my head]


........................framed clear front corner lamps on this.

Oh, well. Now you know!


huh? i wasnt paying attention...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Oh, well. Now you know!
And knowing is half the battle......(I wonder how many people are going to get that)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2005
Roach2004's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 8,320
I dont think they care about the front on the 2001 and up because it is not a turn signal.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-04-2005
Rev's Avatar
Rev Rev is offline
Level I Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerranger
I really like these but dont know if they are legal any help?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...QQcmdZViewItem

Are these legal...Bottom line No. Like John said, DOT requires all manufactures of OEM and aftermarket parts to meet the min. DOT specifications, which in this case includes reflectors of specific colors. With that said, your State law my not specifically call out these requirements, but they all leave a catch all "As Equipped” meaning as it was originally sold meeting all DOT specs.

Ref:

TITLE 49--TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER V--NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC
SAFETY ADMINISTRATION, DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
Subpart B_Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards PART 571



Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Code, CHAPTER 347


Will your local police care? Well maybe not, but it sure gives them a good reason to pull you over if they want to....Food for thought.

Hope this helps....
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-04-2005
RAYJAY's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SCRANTON PA
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach2004
I dont think they care about the front on the 2001 and up because it is not a turn signal.

it is in mine ....... lol

Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-05-2005
Branson's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Princess Anne, MD
Posts: 93
I remember you preaching about it on Gen-Edge. That was a long time ago. I'm old. I would shy away from those lights, just because there's no reflector. I mean, I'd rather make sure the tail end is legal and safe. JMHO.
-- B
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-05-2005
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
not legal
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-05-2005
SONICEDGE03's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tryon, NC
Posts: 788
Not legal. I am willing to bet you that they don't have a DOT number on them. If they don't and the cop checks them...you are SOL!

I got a set of clear corners and tails, but sent the tails back because they weren't dot approved. I have since paid a pretty penny for some 2006 corners and tails because I really like the looks of them and they ARE dot approved :)

But yes John, I know that you have drilled this into many a people's heads in the past and the question seems to always come back up.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-05-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1
illegal

A easy way to know if something is illegal, if the listing says "For off road use only" Its generally a good idea not to drive with it on the street.

And Hi everyone, my first post! :)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-05-2005
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Hiya James. And Griggs, they're legal for everyone but you cause I say so.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-05-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: East Helena, Montana
Posts: 166
The federal laws regulating the equipment that must, or may not, be on private vehicles regulates the MANUFACTURERS of the vehicles and basically states what the vehicles must have on them when they come from the factory. Its not a federal offense if you change the vehicle from what's required by federal law to be on the vehicle, but it might be a state offense. Particular equipment items that are required or not allowed, and for which its an offense if you have (or don't have the item) that is, things like brakes, lights, lens, bulbs, tinted windows, mirrors, fenders, and mudflaps, are regulated by the law of each STATE, and those laws vary from state to state. In each state, the list of those laws is quite long. The fact that something is DOT (U.S. Dept. of Transportation) approved does NOT mean its legal or illegal in a given state.

Every state has, in its code of laws passed by its legislature, a set of sections of the code that state what equipment is required and prohibited. This is what you need to get ahold of and read through. The easiest way to get those state laws is to call up your legislature and ask to talk to the main staff arm of the legislature. Then ask to talk to a staff attorney (which is what I've done for a living for 24 years, so I know what I'm talking about here) or researcher that works in the field of motor vehicle equipment. Then ask that person to mail you a copy of the motor vehicle equipment laws or tell you how to access those laws over the internet.

Each state now has internet access for its code of laws passed by the legislature and its usuallly quite easy to get at and research. To access the general website for your state government, there's a universal naming code. You type the two letter postal designation for your state, for example, mt for Montana, followed by a period and gov. For example: mt.gov for Montana. Then you can navigate around for the info you want. Generally, you can get to the state's code of laws, either directly from the opening page of the site or by going to the legislature's subpage, which is often under something like "government" or "agencies" and then finding the code of laws as a subpage of the legislative page.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-05-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Good! That clarifies it a bit. Also explains why the feds never enforce it at the vehicle/driver level. I hadn't thought about that. I know some states just boilerplate the fed standards more or less, but there are those variations and things not covered by the fed standard that states are free to regulate, as you said.

Also, the "DOT" stamp on some units is garbarge -- it really is just put on there without attempting to comply.

And welcome, James! (katon1215) -- yes, if it says "off road use only" it's a pretty good bet for sure, lol. However, the DOT stamp/molding, or the lack of the "off road" on the part doesn't mean anything.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-05-2005
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
Hiya James. And Griggs, they're legal for everyone but you cause I say so.

Aaron
No fair! I'm gonna' tell mom...MOM!!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-05-2005
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: East Helena, Montana
Posts: 166
Just as a clarification, my post only relates to private vehicles, that is, the cars, trucks, vans, and suv's we all drive. The feds DO regulate vehicles traveling for commercial purposes in interstate travel, mainly, of course, the 18-wheelers. There's numerous federal regs relating to them. What the states usually "boilerplate", that is, adopt as state regulations on commercial trucking, is the federal regulations on these truckers.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-05-2005
LILBLUE04FX4L2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Exit 105 New Jersey
Posts: 2,409
Illegal
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-05-2005
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unconfirmed Legal Status of Train Horns yellow_edge General Ford Ranger Discussion 35 09-25-2008 02:46 PM
Aftermarket Bumper Legal Issues...? rideac1 Exterior Semi-Tech 16 08-09-2006 12:17 PM
50 state legal vehicals? blue_bandit General Ford Ranger Discussion 6 03-03-2006 02:43 PM
legal? mx98ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 9 02-19-2006 06:06 PM
Legal to ride in a pickup truck bed? NHBubba_Revisited General Ford Ranger Discussion 33 09-08-2005 10:28 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:38 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.