Speed Sensor - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-02-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Speed Sensor

My speedometer and my odometer stopped working.
After searching the site, I decided to check my speed senor
located on the transmission (its an auto). Which sensor is it?
I saw sensors with a green connector, blue connector and a
black connector. These were located on the drivers side.

Please help me out.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Your automatic has the OSS on the driver side just ahead of the junction of the transmission case and 4x4 extension housing. Wire colors are blue/yellow and gray/red.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: cantoment,fl
Posts: 80
check fuses
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2007
HighRollerII's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 10,066
isnt there a speed sensor in the axle housing in the rear or is that something else?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighRollerII
isnt there a speed sensor in the axle housing in the rear or is that something else?
98~2000 use the ABS sensor in the rear axle for the raw VSS signal. For 2001+, it is from the OSS at the transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Thanks Guys
I'll see if these things help.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-02-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Went to the parts stores to get a speed sensor.
This seems to cause mass confusion.
Does anyone have a part # for this thing?
I don't want to order something and end up with the wrong part.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-02-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 166
I just got one from napa for $11. the other part stores are much more expensive. Like $10-25 more. Napa number is: 530780 for my 99.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-02-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: usa
Posts: 166
crap, nevermind, got the years backward. That wont help you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-02-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger
Went to the parts stores to get a speed sensor.
This seems to cause mass confusion.
Does anyone have a part # for this thing?
I don't want to order something and end up with the wrong part.
For 2001-on, the raw speed signal comes from the OSS (output shaft speed) sensor on the transmission. Any Ford dealer can get the correct sensor for you.

It looks like you are assuming that the sensor is the root cause of your speedo problem. As far as I can tell, this has not been proven one way or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-02-2007
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
i got a good used one you can have
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-03-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
I'll try the dealer out see what they want for the sensor.

rwenzing, you're right, I don't know for sure that the sensor is bad.
But to me, that seems like the only logical cause... other than a bad
cluster. Seems like the speedometer works once in a while when it is
warm outside, on cold mornings it never works. And, any speed over
35 mph (if the speedo is working) the needle will drop.

Mark, Thanks for the offer. I'll weigh my options, and I'll let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Well, 7 months later, I finally replaced the sensor....
It still doesn't work. No cruise, no speedo.
I tore the instrument cluster out to check connections, and It all checks out fine.

What do I do now?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2008
JKeirstead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sussex, New Brunswick
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger View Post
Well, 7 months later, I finally replaced the sensor....
It still doesn't work. No cruise, no speedo.
I tore the instrument cluster out to check connections, and It all checks out fine.

What do I do now?

Thanks
Check fuse 11... that's what it was after I had a dome light "mishap" that took out a few fuses. It didn't work for me though until I took the fuse out, turned the key to "on", then "off", put the fuse in and started. I don't know if it was a weird gremlin for me or if the gauge needs "reset".

If that doesn't work, click your heels three times while saying "there's no place like home"...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeirstead View Post
Check fuse 11... that's what it was after I had a dome light "mishap" that took out a few fuses. It didn't work for me though until I took the fuse out, turned the key to "on", then "off", put the fuse in and started. I don't know if it was a weird gremlin for me or if the gauge needs "reset".

If that doesn't work, click your heels three times while saying "there's no place like home"...
Tried the fuse trick... No Luck.
Clicking heels... No Luck.

Could this be my cluster?
would a bad speedo cluster make my cruise not work?

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-13-2008
JKeirstead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sussex, New Brunswick
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger View Post
Tried the fuse trick... No Luck.
Clicking heels... No Luck.

Could this be my cluster?
would a bad speedo cluster make my cruise not work?

When I blew my instrument panel fuse cruise didn't work... so maybe? Do your other instruments work though?

Do you have the SSV mod? If you do, check and see if your radio volume adjusts with speed... then you'll know if the GEM is at least getting speed info from the sensors.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-15-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
No SSV mod...
But I did the OHC mod about 4 years ago.
I checked those connections, and they all looked fine.
I'm going to check the speedo with a AAA battery and see if it checks out.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-15-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,833
Does your truck have any other symptoms?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger View Post
I'm going to check the speedo with a AAA battery and see if it checks out.
Good idea.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger View Post
...I did the OHC mod about 4 years ago.
I would try disconnecting whatever wire you have tapped into the gray/black at the GEM. If the gray/black wire is grounded, or if any wire tapped into it is grounded, it will kill the speedometer/odometer and speed control.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-16-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Symptoms:
Speedo Bounces/ doesn't work.
Odometer does not work
No cruise.

I'll disconnect the OHC wire on the VSS.
Hopefully I'll get to that tonight.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-17-2008
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
I would try disconnecting whatever wire you have tapped into the gray/black at the GEM. If the gray/black wire is grounded, or if any wire tapped into it is grounded, it will kill the speedometer/odometer and speed control.
Well Its fixed... This was the problem.
The wire got pinched on a clip in the A pillar.

A big THANKS to everyone who helped.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-19-2008
JKeirstead's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sussex, New Brunswick
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Ranger View Post
Well Its fixed... This was the problem.
The wire got pinched on a clip in the A pillar.

A big THANKS to everyone who helped.
I had that happen to a USB cable. I couldn't figure out why my GPS had a fit every once in a while. The A piller clips are tricky creatures
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5 Speed Auto with Overdrive feels like a 6 speed? patkelly1336 Drivetrain Tech 7 10-06-2012 09:04 PM
1989 2.3 speed sensor Jimroad471 General Ford Ranger Discussion 1 04-06-2011 07:45 AM
Speed sensor plug for a 5-speed manual BlackRanger04 Drivetrain Tech 4 01-04-2011 01:07 AM
temp sensor and speed sensor for ohc BananaEdge Exterior Semi-Tech 4 09-01-2004 11:42 AM
speed sensor BananaEdge Interior Semi-Tech 5 08-28-2004 04:12 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.