What's the best place to drill a big fat hole on my firewall??? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


General Technical & Electrical General technical and electrical discussion for the Ford Ranger that does not fit in any other sub-forum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-17-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
What's the best place to drill a big fat hole on my firewall???

Hi.

Ok, so i plan on adding a bunch of wires from the engine bay to the interior.

Where's the best place to drill a big fat hole to route wires?? I'd want a somewhat hidden spot, and of course there will be a grommet. Maybe even a rubber plug and cut a X slit in it to route the wiring.

Reason I ask.....is that currently, I have a 4GA amp wire, 1 PA wire, 2 for the cb, 4 14GA wires for switches all routed through the steering boot. And I think it's just too many to route through there. Espicially since I'm adding a coax, at least 3 more switches....so thats a total of around 14 total wires.

I'm thinking below the engine bay fuse box.

You guys got any ideas??

Keep in mind, i'd like to drill it...meaning...there's gotta be room for a cordless or a right angle drille.

Thanks!!

Shane
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Ohhh... just give a long extension bit with a 1" bit, stab it down in there somewhere and start drilling until it pops through

On a real note though, I am curious as well, I plan on putting a 1" hole with a grommet for future use, and its one of those things that can be done at anytime.. I am figuring behind the drivers feet, up on the upper right there.. good access point to various locations.

Any input would be fantastic! :-)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
I think I might pull off the underhood fuse box and see what's there. That's the coolest, most awesomest stealthy spot i can think of. I was thinking about a 1" hole, so the hole in the grommet will probably my like 3/4. That should be sufficient.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
I think I might pull off the underhood fuse box and see what's there. That's the coolest, most awesomest stealthy spot i can think of. I was thinking about a 1" hole, so the hole in the grommet will probably my like 3/4. That should be sufficient.
Yep, thats plenty to run anythign through, which is why I was thinking about it as well.. CB (on front mounted stick and/or alt power), amp, secondary amp, misc stuff as well.. and itll all add up pretty well.

Its best to do the hole FIRST.. sucky part with your stuff, youll have to pull it all out adn reroute it.. but that woudl actually be sort of fun honestly :-) I nice day to sit out in the sun for working!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
2 or 3 years ago, I pulled the Distribution Box out of the way and drilled several holes of various sizes, them grommeted them and plugged the holes for future use. So easy to add wires, vacuum lines, whatever. This was well worth it over the long haul and all but one of the holes is now in use.

There should be no reason why a 1" hole couldn't be added at the same spot. Just be careful to avoid the large harness bundle on the blind (interior) side. A step drill bit (or maybe a good hole saw) would be ideal because it is way easier to control in sheet metal than a 1" twist drill bit.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-17-2008
GrafixGuy's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 8,703
there is that one near the brake/clutch pedal... its about 1" diameter... or 1/2"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-17-2008
RangerJustin's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 4,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SPORT View Post
there is that one near the brake/clutch pedal... its about 1" diameter... or 1/2"
yea thats where i have my wires going...only thing is i need to find a way to patch it up, it was factory, but i get a breeze through there...its fine until im on my way up the mountains in sub 30 degrees getting that blasted on my leg...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2008
WowMike2001's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stevenson, WA
Posts: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJustin View Post
yea thats where i have my wires going...only thing is i need to find a way to patch it up, it was factory, but i get a breeze through there...its fine until im on my way up the mountains in sub 30 degrees getting that blasted on my leg...
Take some silicon, squirt it aroudn the edges on the inside of the grommet... then push some foam though there, some light stuff so you can force it into the empty spots.. should do the trick for ya
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-17-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i pulled the carpet up and down under the brake pedal there is an indention i put a grommet in there for my amp wire.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
2 or 3 years ago, I pulled the Distribution Box out of the way and drilled several holes of various sizes, them grommeted them and plugged the holes for future use. So easy to add wires, vacuum lines, whatever. This was well worth it over the long haul and all but one of the holes is now in use.

There should be no reason why a 1" hole couldn't be added at the same spot. Just be careful to avoid the large harness bundle on the blind (interior) side. A step drill bit (or maybe a good hole saw) would be ideal because it is way easier to control in sheet metal than a 1" twist drill bit.

Thank you Bob....that's just what i was needing. So pretty much, move the fuse box out of the way and start drilling? Of course check the interior side before, that's a given. I was planning on using a hole saw.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Urgent, Hole in Firewall Sound atrocity General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 06-04-2013 08:58 AM
Help finding hole in firewall for amp power kellernr Audio & Video Tech 10 07-17-2010 05:27 PM
Firewall hole krew302 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 7 06-06-2008 09:19 AM
Building a sub box and cut the hole too big Bence Audio & Video Tech 10 03-07-2008 08:07 PM
Hole in the firewall. malydeen General Technical & Electrical 11 09-23-2007 09:55 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.