Cool Shifter Mod - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Interior Semi-Tech General discussion of interior for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 03-02-2009
PlasticHero's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ottawa, IL
Posts: 701
I don't know about that shift boot... It it doesn't match 'your' blue in the truck it might look kind of tacky, but thats just me.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-02-2009
StrangerRanger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The 253
Posts: 756
I dont think the glue is that strong.. I've pulled mine off grabbing second hard and punched myself in the face already...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-02-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangerRanger View Post
I dont think the glue is that strong.. I've pulled mine off grabbing second hard and punched myself in the face already...
LOL I did the same thing when I first got my truck. It whipped off and caught me in the cheek. That was a surprise
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-02-2009
ColdNapalm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
LOL I did the same thing when I first got my truck. It whipped off and caught me in the cheek. That was a surprise
did the same with mine expect when it came off i crashed into a small duck pond... was trying to shift and turn and brake hard yanked the **** off and lost control for 1-2 seconds and it was all she wrote... now ive got a solid steel skull and it rocks except for when you start it in gear and have ur knee near it... pure pain.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-02-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Thats why I got a Hurst. They are threaded, so no more splines to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-02-2009
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
What 'Hurst' is, is the Hurst branded short throw shifter that's avaliable in their 'Billet Plus' line of shifters for our trucks with the Mazda M5od transmissions. Usually run about $200, but I got mine used off Craigslist for a whopping $125...

Name:  P8270140.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  P7160030.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  63.0 KB
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-02-2009
comunistico's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: san jose, Costa Rica
Posts: 1,319
jus get mad at something (aka. no-reason-to-be-jealous-DAM-ANGRY-girlfriend) and ill come out very easily when u shift gears.....
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-03-2009
NVRDONE's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 114
I'm with the get a Hurst crew, way better than the stock one.

And I had the same problem with my stock one, still havent gotten it off yet, even after putting it in a vice.

Name:  PICT0011-1.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  131.3 KB

Worse comes to worse, go to a u pull it and see if you can find a shifter that already has the **** coming off.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-03-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRDONE View Post
I'm with the get a Hurst crew, way better than the stock one.

And I had the same problem with my stock one, still havent gotten it off yet, even after putting it in a vice.



Worse comes to worse, go to a u pull it and see if you can find a shifter that already has the **** coming off.
I don't like how that shifter looks.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-03-2009
NVRDONE's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
I don't like how that shifter looks.

Well there are all kinds of ways of installing it, you could do it the way i did, with that boot and the stock console, stock boot and console, leather boot and console, leather boot with trim ring (my future upgrade) or inside a explorer console with a leather boot. Plus there are a multitude of ***** that can be used.

Plus if you really wanna change up the look, there are other companies out there that offer replacement sticks.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-03-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRDONE View Post
Well there are all kinds of ways of installing it, you could do it the way i did, with that boot and the stock console, stock boot and console, leather boot and console, leather boot with trim ring (my future upgrade) or inside a explorer console with a leather boot. Plus there are a multitude of ***** that can be used.

Plus if you really wanna change up the look, there are other companies out there that offer replacement sticks.
I really just want to get my stupid stock one apart without a hacksaw.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-03-2009
NVRDONE's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
I really just want to get my stupid stock one apart without a hacksaw.

I would have to say, heat it up really good and use the BFH technique.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-03-2009
RangERVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: East Wallingford, VT
Posts: 48
hurst noise?

I thought i saw another thread that the Hurst was very noisy. Comments guys?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-03-2009
NVRDONE's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Union, NJ
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangERVT View Post
I thought i saw another thread that the Hurst was very noisy. Comments guys?
You hear more transmission noise. Pretty cool listening to the gears whine. But just turn up the sterio andits gone.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-03-2009
03bamaGT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 1,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangERVT View Post
I thought i saw another thread that the Hurst was very noisy. Comments guys?
That is pretty much with any aftermarket shifter...my Pro 5.0 howls, like already stated just turn the radio up or roll the windows down.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-03-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangERVT View Post
I thought i saw another thread that the Hurst was very noisy. Comments guys?
The way I see it, I truck a truck. If I wanted a super quite car, I would get a Caddy. I love my Hurst, there isn't a whole lot of noise, a bit of rattling, but I am just too lazy to readjust my shifter stops. Can't say enough about it.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-03-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainfire View Post
The way I see it, I truck a truck. If I wanted a super quite car, I would get a Caddy. I love my Hurst, there isn't a whole lot of noise, a bit of rattling, but I am just too lazy to readjust my shifter stops. Can't say enough about it.
Some of us have insanely loud sportscars and want a nice quiet luxury ride out of our trucks (ok not many of us)

My truck is very very quiet, and quieter than a caddy, I don't need short throw shifting, I don't race it. Hell it never gets past 3500RPM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-03-2009
SVT01RANGER's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Some of us have insanely loud sportscars and want a nice quiet luxury ride out of our trucks (ok not many of us)

My truck is very very quiet, and quieter than a caddy, I don't need short throw shifting, I don't race it. Hell it never gets past 3500RPM.
i agree with you
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-03-2009
racsan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: central ohio
Posts: 648
get a hurst, well worth the money, if you must mess with the stock unit, take the arm completely off , hold it upside down wtih the **** in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes, then (while wearing leather welding gloves) simply pull it off the splines.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-03-2009
Melt's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 3,392
as a former honda owner, please dont desecrate your ranger with one of those "type r" *****. Not only are they played out, they will burn your hand on hot days, a friend of mine one time had to take his shirt off and use that to shift lol

I like the boot you posted.

As for gettin the stock **** off, im no help there, my truck came with one of those autozone ***** like what was also posted on page one.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-03-2009
chainfire's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mission B.C.
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp7 View Post
Some of us have insanely loud sportscars and want a nice quiet luxury ride out of our trucks (ok not many of us)

My truck is very very quiet, and quieter than a caddy, I don't need short throw shifting, I don't race it. Hell it never gets past 3500RPM.
Fair enough, everyone wants something different out of their truck. It wouldnt matter to me if the Hurst shortened the shift or not, I like it for the fact that it cleans up the shfting alot. No slop at all, that drives me crazy.

Quote:
as a former honda owner, please dont desecrate your ranger with one of those "type r" *****. Not only are they played out, they will burn your hand on hot days, a friend of mine one time had to take his shirt off and use that to shift lol
Lol, on my old mazda I had one that I made out of solid aluminum. In the winter I would put a ski glove over it cause it was so cold. I hated it, it only lasted a week and I sold it to some kid for $40 and a case of beer.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-04-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt View Post
as a former honda owner, please dont desecrate your ranger with one of those "type r" *****. Not only are they played out, they will burn your hand on hot days, a friend of mine one time had to take his shirt off and use that to shift lol

I like the boot you posted.

As for gettin the stock **** off, im no help there, my truck came with one of those autozone ***** like what was also posted on page one.
I have an aluminum and carbon fiber shifter **** stock on my evo mr. I like it just fine. I wanted a aluminum annodized looking one for the truck because I like it, not because I am trying to make it look like a Honda type - r
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-04-2009
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
Im with the rest of the guys who had their stock **** come off while shifting. Just keep yanking on it and it will come off.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-04-2009
Mark98xlt's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Parma Ohio
Posts: 13
Get a hurst, makes a hell of a difference and the truck is more fun to drive as well with the shorter shifts.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-04-2009
Jp7's Avatar
Jp7 Jp7 is offline
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: My LED lab or on the dyno
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark98xlt View Post
Get a hurst, makes a hell of a difference and the truck is more fun to drive as well with the shorter shifts.
The ranger is my comfort/luxury/quiet vehicle. I don't want a noisey shifter. It is hard to say my truck is "fun" to drive because I am used too 500 Horsepower. My truck is very comfortable to drive.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mmmm this could be a cool mod Silver General Ford Ranger Discussion 17 12-11-2009 11:10 PM
Cheap shifter mod idea using stock shifter? gts007 New Ideas 15 05-18-2009 05:56 PM
fx4 shifter mod morris General Ford Ranger Discussion 3 02-22-2008 09:58 PM
A cool mod for tail lights!!! EdGe_wannabe Exterior Semi-Tech 24 03-04-2007 08:14 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.