For Sale: 2005 Mustang 4.0 V6 w/5-speed AUSTIN, TX - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Miscellaneous Items Anything not Ford Ranger related.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-17-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
2005 Mustang 4.0 V6 w/5-speed AUSTIN, TX

I have a complete V6 4.0L + 5-speed manual that was swapped out of an '05 Mustang in favor of a 5.4L V8. I think it has around 60k miles on it. I will confirm. I am willing to either part it out OR sell as a whole unit. I'm posting here because the majority of interest I've seen in it has been for a swap into a Ranger.

Motor Mounts ($35 each)
PS Pump ($40)
A/C Compressor ($100)
Engine ($600)
Transmission ($400)
Exhaust Manifolds ($75 pair)
Intake Manifold ($100 includes injectors)
Throttle Body ($75 includes TPS)

OR

All of it together for $1000

Thanks!
  #2  
Old 11-17-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
I have a complete V6 4.0L + 5-speed manual that was swapped out of an '05 Mustang in favor of a 5.4L V8. I think it has around 60k miles on it. I will confirm. I am willing to either part it out OR sell as a whole unit. I'm posting here because the majority of interest I've seen in it has been for a swap into a Ranger.

Motor Mounts ($35 each)
PS Pump ($40)
A/C Compressor ($100)
Engine ($600)
Transmission ($400)
Exhaust Manifolds ($75 pair)
Intake Manifold ($100 includes injectors)
Throttle Body ($75 includes TPS)

OR

All of it together for $1000

Thanks!
Is it a 4.0 SOHC like the Ranger has? And how many miles does the engine have on it?
  #3  
Old 11-17-2010
djfllmn's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRanger04 View Post
Is it a 4.0 SOHC like the Ranger has?
same motor
  #4  
Old 11-17-2010
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
correct me if i'm wrong but 05's didn't have a 4.0L. they had a 3.8 or 3.7 for a V6. i'm pretty sure that they just recently started putting the 4.0L into the mustang as of 07 or 08.
  #5  
Old 11-17-2010
fishy2k8's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 457
you are wrong, the 4.0 started in 05 and ended in 2010 for the mustangs
  #6  
Old 11-17-2010
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
I might be interested in that powersteering pump for my Ranger if I knew it'd fit. They both have different parts numbers though. Plus this guy is virtually unknown on this forum..

Good luck with your sale anyway.


GB :)
  #7  
Old 11-18-2010
morris's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Detroit.
Posts: 7,833
ok. when they went retro. right. i forgot that this body style started that far back already.

good luck with sale.
  #8  
Old 11-18-2010
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
It's a shame that the Rangers weren't equipped with that 3.7L V6. Over 300 horses would be nice..


GB :)
  #9  
Old 11-18-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird76Mojo View Post
It's a shame that the Rangers weren't equipped with that 3.7L V6. Over 300 horses would be nice..


GB :)
X2
  #10  
Old 11-18-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
I'd like to buy this engine. Will it work with a 5 speed automatic transmission?
  #11  
Old 11-18-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
Correction, motor has 40K miles. From doing some quick googling it looks like the differences between the 5R55W (97+ Ranger) and the 5R55S (05+ Mustang) are minimal and will not matter... as long as you are RWD. You will likely need the engine harness for the 4.0 with auto, as well as the ecu. That's about as far as my research goes. $600 will include all the accessories attached to it and listed above... i.e PS Pump, Alternator, intake, etc. Pretty much everything except the 5-speed manual tranny. Ready to install, should not need seals or anything. Good luck.

Here is a link to the car it all came from. Scroll down deep into the retarded comments and there are a few videos posted as well.

http://blog.americanmuscle.com/the-n...ge-1/#comments

Last edited by child9; 11-18-2010 at 09:08 AM.
  #12  
Old 11-18-2010
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
How can you not remember that you pulled your own engine at 40,000 miles? You first stated 60,000 miles. I remember all of the mileage numbers from when I yanked my Ranger engine and swapped another one in and that was almost 10 years ago. I just don't see how anyone could forget something like that when it was such an important project for them...

I'm calling BS on the mileage on this thing. Unless you can show the odometer on the day you started the engine swap, which would've been a good idea to take pictures of for future proof.


GB :)
  #13  
Old 11-18-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
You sir, can do whatever you want. I assisted a kid that works at my shop with HIS 5.4 swap into HIS V6 Mustang. He gave me the engine and tranny HE pulled out so I could sell it for payment for services rendered.
I would like to direct you to the link I posted above that is the doorway to ALL THE INFO YOU COULD POSSIBLY CARE TO HAVE regarding the original car this engine and transmission came out of. Thank you, and have a blessed day.
  #14  
Old 11-18-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
Correction, motor has 40K miles. From doing some quick googling it looks like the differences between the 5R55W (97+ Ranger) and the 5R55S (05+ Mustang) are minimal and will not matter... as long as you are RWD. You will likely need the engine harness for the 4.0 with auto, as well as the ecu. That's about as far as my research goes. $600 will include all the accessories attached to it and listed above... i.e PS Pump, Alternator, intake, etc. Pretty much everything except the 5-speed manual tranny. Ready to install, should not need seals or anything. Good luck.

Here is a link to the car it all came from. Scroll down deep into the retarded comments and there are a few videos posted as well.

The November Ride of the Month | AmericanMuscle.com Mustang Blog
Would it be ok to get a 2005 wiring harness and ECU from a from a Mustang, or do I need to get one from a Ranger? I'm assuming that I'll need to get one from a Ranger because of the digital odometers.
Does the 2005 Mustang 4.0L have 207 HP just like the Ranger 4.0L?
  #15  
Old 11-18-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
I would personally try to find the stock ecu and harness from a Ranger, since that would likely be the easiest and most plug and play option, however we should all realize that there is hardly ever anything plug and play; there will be issues that need to be ironed out. You may need different motor mounts as well. My guess is since the engines are the same, the gauges, while looking different, will likely use the exact same signal types. This is not always the case, however. For instance, in my 96 Jeep Cherokee, there are two cluster options: one with a speedometer and a GIANT gas gauge + 4 idiot lights, and a 6 gauge option. When I changed to the 6 gauge cluster, the plug in back plugged right in and everything worked, HOWEVER I had to buy another oil pressure sender to put in the engine so that the oil pressure gauge I now had didn't peg. Where the engine harness ties into the chassis harness is probably the key thing here. If you get the Ranger harness, it shouldn't matter. Just to be sure, cross reference things like the oil pressure senders and see if they are the same part number from the Mustang to the Ranger. If not, just switch them out.
Ford rates this engine at 210HP, and I believe 240 ft/lbs Torque at the crank.
  #16  
Old 11-19-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
I would personally try to find the stock ecu and harness from a Ranger, since that would likely be the easiest and most plug and play option, however we should all realize that there is hardly ever anything plug and play; there will be issues that need to be ironed out. You may need different motor mounts as well. My guess is since the engines are the same, the gauges, while looking different, will likely use the exact same signal types. This is not always the case, however. For instance, in my 96 Jeep Cherokee, there are two cluster options: one with a speedometer and a GIANT gas gauge + 4 idiot lights, and a 6 gauge option. When I changed to the 6 gauge cluster, the plug in back plugged right in and everything worked, HOWEVER I had to buy another oil pressure sender to put in the engine so that the oil pressure gauge I now had didn't peg. Where the engine harness ties into the chassis harness is probably the key thing here. If you get the Ranger harness, it shouldn't matter. Just to be sure, cross reference things like the oil pressure senders and see if they are the same part number from the Mustang to the Ranger. If not, just switch them out.
Ford rates this engine at 210HP, and I believe 240 ft/lbs Torque at the crank.
Ok, I'll go ahead and try to find a 2005 wiring harness and ECU. My truck is actually a 2004, but thankfully Ford done away with PATS in the Ranger in 2005. I think they brought it back in 2006, but I'm not sure.
I'm also wondering about switching over to an auto trans. Do you think I'll have any balance issues?
I had a feeling the Mustang 4.0L had 210 HP just like the Explorer 4.0L.
  #17  
Old 11-19-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
Don't know exactly what you mean by balance, but I can't imagine there would be any sort of issue like that.
  #18  
Old 11-20-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
Don't know exactly what you mean by balance, but I can't imagine there would be any sort of issue like that.
I'm talking about how the engine was balanced from the factory. Mainly the crankshaft balance. I don't know if the engine would be off balance since it was balanced with a heavier manual trans flywheel. (Is there a different harmonic balancer on the 4.0s that were hooked up to an auto trans?) (Maybe I'm just reading into this to much and shouldn't be worried about that.)
  #19  
Old 11-20-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
Don't think that matters. Harmonic balancer just balances the engine, not the transmission. The engine should be balanced, regardless of what type of transmission is put behind it. The engine doesn't know or care, it just wants to turn a crankshaft. Then again there could always be something Ford specific that I don't know about. The extent of my Ford experience goes back to 2004-2007 where I worked on 2010 Crown Vics, Grand Marguis, Lincoln Town Cars, and the Econoline van series. I did see a diesel-powered Ranger though, but they don't sell them in the US, as I'm sure you are all aware.
  #20  
Old 11-20-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
Ever thought about switching that Ranger to the 5-speed manual? Boy, would that simplify everything except the stick shift itself. Oh wait! I just happen to have the Hurst short-throw shifter that came out of the Mustang too! LOL. -

Where does the engine harness tie in to the chassis harness on the Ranger and Mustang I wonder. Are the ECU's in vastly different locations?
-
BlackRanger04, you might like to check out and open an AllDatadiy account. I have been able to find almost the equivalent of the factory service manuals for all three vehicles I needed to look at for my swap... Lexus GS300, TT Toyota Supra, and Jeep Cherokee. You should be able to find extensive information on how and where the gauges plug in, where the ECU's are located, etc, etc.
  #21  
Old 11-20-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
Don't think that matters. Harmonic balancer just balances the engine, not the transmission. The engine should be balanced, regardless of what type of transmission is put behind it. The engine doesn't know or care, it just wants to turn a crankshaft. Then again there could always be something Ford specific that I don't know about. The extent of my Ford experience goes back to 2004-2007 where I worked on 2010 Crown Vics, Grand Marguis, Lincoln Town Cars, and the Econoline van series. I did see a diesel-powered Ranger though, but they don't sell them in the US, as I'm sure you are all aware.
I just remembered something that I heard about about engine balancing. (I don't know how I forgot about this) But anyway ... Some engines are internally balanced and some engines are externally balanced. I'm pretty sure your engine is internally balanced, and if that's the case, changing over to an auto trans shouldn't affect anything.
  #22  
Old 11-20-2010
BlackRanger04's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by child9 View Post
Ever thought about switching that Ranger to the 5-speed manual? Boy, would that simplify everything except the stick shift itself. Oh wait! I just happen to have the Hurst short-throw shifter that came out of the Mustang too! LOL. -

Where does the engine harness tie in to the chassis harness on the Ranger and Mustang I wonder. Are the ECU's in vastly different locations?
-
BlackRanger04, you might like to check out and open an AllDatadiy account. I have been able to find almost the equivalent of the factory service manuals for all three vehicles I needed to look at for my swap... Lexus GS300, TT Toyota Supra, and Jeep Cherokee. You should be able to find extensive information on how and where the gauges plug in, where the ECU's are located, etc, etc.
Yes, I've thought about switching over to a 5-speed a thousand times. I love driving a manual transmission but it's gets old after awhile especially when I get in heavy traffic.
If this was my secondary vehicle then I would convert it to a 5-speed in a second.
I'm going to check out that AllDatadiy site, because I need a good service manual for my Ranger. I had a Haynes manual, but that thing was a joke. I left it at the parts store one day because I took it in there to show the parts guy that there wasn't even any directions on how to replace the lower ball joint on a 2001 Ranger and I just left it there.

Here's a picture of where the PCM/ECM goes in the Rangers

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  155.5 KB
And while we're talking about Mustang engines .... here's a picture of a 1996 3.8 Mustang with the noctorious blown head gasket problem.
Name:  Picture014.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  172.2 KB
  #23  
Old 11-20-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
:)
  #24  
Old 11-20-2010
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 13
I'm getting a pic sent to me of the ECU location on the 05' Mustang. I'll post it shortly.
  #25  
Old 11-20-2010
Bird76Mojo's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central, IL.
Posts: 1,264
Some Ranger engines were equipped with a crank driven (I think) balancer that was actually internal to the engine. Down by the crankshaft. I think you can tell if your engine had that as the oil pan was supposedly larger on one side if my memory is right.. I could be TOTALLY wrong.


GB :)
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 Rangers lights on 2005 Mazda B3000 Fordsarebadass4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 7 02-25-2013 02:11 PM
2005 3.0 5R55E to 2005 4.0 5r55e Ftirish86 Drivetrain Tech 2 10-18-2011 11:44 PM
The difference between a 2005 4.0L Mustang engine and a 2005 4.0L Ranger engine. BlackRanger04 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 15 11-21-2010 05:56 AM
FS: Mustang and Explorer Dome - Austin, TX slowrey Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 2 05-22-2009 12:09 AM
will 2005 up mustang wheels fit??? johnson Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 5 08-26-2008 06:03 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:26 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.