Awesome! - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 12-11-2007
HarryTasker's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,491
This thing looks like it is the perfect size so fit into the message center of an explorer full length console. I wonder if it would fit in the radio opening with a aftermarket head unit.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-11-2007
01xltranger4x4's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: MI
Posts: 3,200
Yeah, us with different size tires/gears, would it still read accurately or does it read from the same signal as the speedo?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-11-2007
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Yeah, us with different size tires/gears, would it still read accurately or does it read from the same signal as the speedo?

all it does it read info off your PCM, if your PCM doesn't know you changed tire size or gears, the scanguage wont know this either
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-11-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
yea it only tells you what your ecu can tell you. If your ecu doesnt read trany temp, then its not going to either

but it does just about everything else...for me hp reading was the coolest thing i've ever heard of...I mean how cool is that
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-11-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01xltranger4x4
Yeah, us with different size tires/gears, would it still read accurately or does it read from the same signal as the speedo?
you could adjust for tire size change on the scanguage, and go by that. it will give you a adjust peed, unlike your dash.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-11-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
well why do you guys post here?
why does it matter? i made some ranger friends back in the day and i still frequent the boards.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-23-2007
04fx4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: lawrence
Posts: 130
i looked on that website, and i couldnt find one for my 04 ranger. where can i get one?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-23-2007
RanJerEDGE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin/Houston, Tx
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
you could adjust for tire size change on the scanguage, and go by that. it will give you a adjust peed, unlike your dash.
would that be as easy as it sounds?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-23-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
Here is the section on the adjustment from the book that comes with it.

:: Both speed and distance can be adjusted to compensate for changes in tire sizes, gears, tire wear, etc. The setting can be changed at any time. the right and left upper buttons can be used to increase/decrease the selected adjustment in 1% steps. The lower left number is the speed reported by the vehicle. The lower right number is the speed which will be shown by the scanguage by applying the correction. Positive values of % will increase the displayed speed. Negative values of % will decrease the displayed speed. The approximate % to use for a tire size change can be computed bu dividing the diameter of the OEM tire byt he diameter of the new tire, subtract this from 1 and multiply by 100. For instance if the diameter of the original tire was 24" and the size of the new tire is 30", 100x(1-(24/30))=20. Setting the value to 20% will compensate for the tire size change. For gear changes, the formula would be 100x(1x-(new ratio/old ratio)). For instance if the olf ratio was 3.55 and the new is 4.10, 100x(1-(4.10/3.55))= -.15%

one accurate way to set the speed is to use a handheld gps. with one person driving, the other person observes the speed on the gps and adjusts the % until the lower right values agrees with the gps speed indication. setting both the gps and scanguage to display kph while making the sdjustment will allow a more accurate adjustment to be made.

another way would be to have the driver drive at a scanguage indicated speed of 60mph and measure the time between mile marker posts on a highway. for every second more than 60 it takes to go 1 mile, subtract 1% from the adjustment. it may be necessary to repeat this a few times until it takes 60 seconds plus or minus a second to go 1 mile.::
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-23-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04fx4
i looked on that website, and i couldnt find one for my 04 ranger. where can i get one?
they fit ALL cars 1996 and up!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-24-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
After seeing this post and remember seeing it elsewhere on the web... I bought one for the ranger.

Installed it today.. and guys its a very nice piece. The stock cord is long enough that I mounted it above my mirror w/o a problem at all.
You can customize the colors to match the stock green-ish ranger look (which I did - check out the top pic on my page (radio color vs scanguage color)). And if you buy the latest "version 3.15" you can look at other things beside the basic ones. "Xguage" they call it.

As you'll see on the last picture of my web page I'm able to display:
Top left: Intake temp
Top Right: Tranny temp
Bott Left: Instant MPG
Bott Right: Horsepower (it looks a little fuzzy because the number was changing)

MY WEB PAGE

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 12-24-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-24-2007
RanJerEDGE's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Austin/Houston, Tx
Posts: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
Here is the section on the adjustment from the book that comes with it.

:: Both speed and distance can be adjusted to compensate for changes in tire sizes, gears, tire wear, etc. The setting can be changed at any time. the right and left upper buttons can be used to increase/decrease the selected adjustment in 1% steps. The lower left number is the speed reported by the vehicle. The lower right number is the speed which will be shown by the scanguage by applying the correction. Positive values of % will increase the displayed speed. Negative values of % will decrease the displayed speed. The approximate % to use for a tire size change can be computed bu dividing the diameter of the OEM tire byt he diameter of the new tire, subtract this from 1 and multiply by 100. For instance if the diameter of the original tire was 24" and the size of the new tire is 30", 100x(1-(24/30))=20. Setting the value to 20% will compensate for the tire size change. For gear changes, the formula would be 100x(1x-(new ratio/old ratio)). For instance if the olf ratio was 3.55 and the new is 4.10, 100x(1-(4.10/3.55))= -.15%

one accurate way to set the speed is to use a handheld gps. with one person driving, the other person observes the speed on the gps and adjusts the % until the lower right values agrees with the gps speed indication. setting both the gps and scanguage to display kph while making the sdjustment will allow a more accurate adjustment to be made.

another way would be to have the driver drive at a scanguage indicated speed of 60mph and measure the time between mile marker posts on a highway. for every second more than 60 it takes to go 1 mile, subtract 1% from the adjustment. it may be necessary to repeat this a few times until it takes 60 seconds plus or minus a second to go 1 mile.::
sweet! sounds like i'll have to pick one up pretty soon. and i assume that this would also change the mpg also?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-24-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tucson
Posts: 525
over on xru...a taco forum

people have been trying to see how high of hp rating they can get

my best so far is 297 in 2nd....I'd be interested to know what you 4.0 guys are doing?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-24-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
if its an auto, it needs to be in 3rd, if its a stick it needs to be in 4th. youll get higher readings in your in first or second, or 3rd on a stick.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-24-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanJerEDGE
sweet! sounds like i'll have to pick one up pretty soon. and i assume that this would also change the mpg also?

yes you can also keep track of gas mileage and cost per mile.

i actually typed that last post out, but im not gonna type out the one on gas mileage and cost per mile.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-24-2007
Austin1's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Athens, Ohio
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
After seeing this post and remember seeing it elsewhere on the web... I bought one for the ranger.

Installed it today.. and guys its a very nice piece. The stock cord is long enough that I mounted it above my mirror w/o a problem at all.
You can customize the colors to match the stock green-ish ranger look (which I did - check out the top pic on my page (radio color vs scanguage color)). And if you buy the latest "version 3.15" you can look at other things beside the basic ones. "Xguage" they call it.

As you'll see on the last picture of my web page I'm able to display:
Top left: Intake temp
Top Right: Tranny temp
Bott Left: Instant MPG
Bott Right: Horsepower (it looks a little fuzzy because the number was changing)

MY WEB PAGE
so at idle rpm's u were making 6.4 hp?
that's pretty neat!
dang, wish they made this for obd1 vehicles, my camaro would so be getting one.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-25-2007
wydopnthrtl's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SE, Mi
Posts: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1
so at idle rpm's u were making 6.4 hp?
that's pretty neat!
Yep. I'll be using it mostly for temperature monitoring and instant MPG.

Rich

Last edited by wydopnthrtl; 12-25-2007 at 06:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-25-2007
JoshK's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CC, Indiana
Posts: 3,832
Thats a prettty sweet deal
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-15-2008
01RangerEdge1208's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mason,OH
Posts: 51
Thats sweet...might have to get me one of those
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Awesome Knife, Awesome People Jp7 Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 7 04-15-2009 06:35 PM
check this awesome ranger in Trucks magazine quicksilver2001 General Ford Ranger Discussion 28 08-18-2005 02:50 PM
Awesome link!!! Sad_Savant General Technical & Electrical 1 04-21-2005 09:18 PM
Awesome ranger on ebay RanJerEDGE General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 03-31-2005 12:38 PM
Awesome 04 Ranger on Ebay!! Drew1287 General Ford Ranger Discussion 12 06-30-2004 04:11 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.