Just a thought - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 06-19-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Just a thought

I was thinking, my BlackBerry Storm has a SIM card. Iphones have a SIM card. Could I take my card from my BBS and put it in an Iphone and have it work on Verizon? I've never looked into what it takes to get Iphones to work on other carriers so don't flame me if I'm way off here.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-19-2010
silverfox's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Taft, Ca
Posts: 1,040
phones are locked to there carriers you would have to get a unlock code to make it work and i belive att and verizon use a different type of signals so even if you got a unlock code i dont think it would work
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-19-2010
fourliter dan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lebanon, OR
Posts: 2,229
nope. do you have the original storm... i do and i hate it with a passion. i need to get a new phone anyways...leaning towards the droid incredible
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-19-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourliter dan View Post
nope. do you have the original storm... i do and i hate it with a passion. i need to get a new phone anyways...leaning towards the droid incredible
Yep. This was the first phone I ever broken. It froze up on me sooo much one day and I was already pissed off and I threw it against the concret floor in my garage so damn hard the screen fell off of it. Good thing for insurance. Can't wait til my upgrade. Getting the ****in Droid and never looking back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-19-2010
fourliter dan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lebanon, OR
Posts: 2,229
i did the same thing...like to the last detail. F Blackberry
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-19-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
It's a great phone when it's working right. But it freezes more than working normal therefor... it must go.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-19-2010
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Yeah it wouldn't work since Verizon is CDMA and ATT is GSM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-19-2010
cchsbuzz19's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Canton, Ohio
Posts: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
Yep. This was the first phone I ever broken. It froze up on me sooo much one day and I was already pissed off and I threw it against the concret floor in my garage so damn hard the screen fell off of it. Good thing for insurance. Can't wait til my upgrade. Getting the ****in Droid and never looking back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
It's a great phone when it's working right. But it freezes more than working normal therefor... it must go.
I'm glad I read this cause I was at Verizon today looking at which phone to get next cause my contract is up and its either the incredible or the storm 2 but I think I'm going with the Incredible now. ha thanks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-19-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
The Storm 2 doesn't have any flaws from what I read. I was eager to get one and didn't think to wait for a better version to come out and ended up getting the original Storm.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-28-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Ok another question here, my phone has the option to be put into GSM "mode" In my "Network Tech." options it has these options,

1. GSM/UMTS
2. 1XEV
3. Global

If I activated my SIM card I'm really wondering if it would work. I need to find somebody local that would let me try it out on their Iphone.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I'm assuming you have one of the world addition Blackberry's? I'm pretty sure it won't work, if it would I would have read something about it by now. You can unlock them to use it on T-mobile and other things but not Verizon.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2010
Tys 4x4 FTW's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 6,575
you would have to unlock the iphone. it should work. but you won't get the best data performance out of the phone because of the different basebands i believe.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-28-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
I just need to decide if it's worth it Haha
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-28-2010
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerboy101 View Post
The Storm 2 doesn't have any flaws from what I read. I was eager to get one and didn't think to wait for a better version to come out and ended up getting the original Storm.
hahha your are sadly mistaken. i have the storm 2. some days i love it some days i want to just throw it. there has been 2 up dates for it now and it is working muck better than when it first came out. the only thing i really hate about the storm 2 the screen is heat sensitive. so if you are outside in a light rain and trying to text he gets all ****ed up till the screen drys off. but over all its a good phone im on my 3rd one. dropped my first one in the gravel screen down and broke the screen. thank god for insurance. second one the speaker blew out get a free replacment
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-28-2010
evilclown312's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Logan ohio
Posts: 2,772
The iphone can not be used on verizon. The Iphone is made for GSM networks and Verizon uses CDMA, and also DROID>Iphone !
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-28-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
I'll take my 200,000 apps anyday.

Tyler get a picture of your 'sim' card, I want to see if it looks anything like mine. Do you still get service with it removed?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
I'll take my 200,000 apps anyday.

Tyler get a picture of your 'sim' card, I want to see if it looks anything like mine. Do you still get service with it removed?
Yes. I'll snap one in a few.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downey View Post
hahha your are sadly mistaken. i have the storm 2. some days i love it some days i want to just throw it. there has been 2 up dates for it now and it is working muck better than when it first came out. the only thing i really hate about the storm 2 the screen is heat sensitive. so if you are outside in a light rain and trying to text he gets all ****ed up till the screen drys off. but over all its a good phone im on my 3rd one. dropped my first one in the gravel screen down and broke the screen. thank god for insurance. second one the speaker blew out get a free replacment
Compared to the original Storm it's a lot better. I have to put my phone in the fridge or something if I've been outside because of it being heat sensitive because it won't detect my finger touching the screen.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Front:


Back:
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2010
evilclown312's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Logan ohio
Posts: 2,772
Since when does verizon use sim cards?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Only the world edition smartphones have them.

Tyler do you still have service with the sim removed?

I'm thinking that SIM card is only used for overseas, hence the Vodafone. I think Verizon just has a agreement with Vodafone to get service when your out of the US. They're a big provider over in Europe
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-29-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Only the world edition smartphones have them.

Tyler do you still have service with the sim removed?

I'm thinking that SIM card is only used for overseas, hence the Vodafone. I think Verizon just has a agreement with Vodafone to get service when your out of the US. They're a big provider over in Europe
Yea I still have service. That's kinda what I was thinking too. I need to find somebody with an Iphone that will let me use it for this. Everybody that I ask that has one is like "hell no!" cause they think I'm going to screw it up or something.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-29-2010
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
If you ever make a meet and my girlfriend is there you can use her phone. My 4 uses a micro SIM so it won't work. I think your right though, I think for the card to work you have to move to a global plan and have it enabled.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-29-2010
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
Let's see the chances of that idea ever working out... very slim chance haha. I need somebody local who has an old one that they don't mind letting me borrow.

Last edited by rangerboy101; 06-29-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-23-2010
andddrew says's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 533
First things first, somebody already mentioned Verizon is CDMA and ATT is GSM. Being two completely different networks some options on the phone wouldn't work. In your case you have verizon so if you got an iphone and was using verizons service not many features would work, for example the app store, itunes, mail, and probably a few others i am forgetting. The only thing that would work is your ability to call someone and go on the internet IF you have the data plan with your carrier...Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just thought I would share this: 08XLT4x4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 4 08-06-2008 07:24 AM
just a thought bruiser Forced Induction & N20 Tech 3 06-12-2008 11:07 AM
Just thought I would post some pics! 08XLT4x4 Snapshots 20 04-11-2008 06:10 PM
just thought id share with yall 00xlt4x4 Interior Semi-Tech 0 09-13-2007 02:20 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:33 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.