New corner light project - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-24-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
New corner light project

So now that I have a workbench, heatgun, and dremel I can work on my corner light project. I've always liked the idea of getting more light out of the corner housing.

You might be asking what is the point of getting more light? Well, why not?

Honestly, I don't have a solid reason, it can be used as a rock light or a clearance light. I don't even know if I will keep it as a constant on light, maybe it will have a switch.

Anywho, here's what I have now






Here's a mock up of how this thing will sit, I already thought about cutting down the LED board, but I don't think I can do that and it will still function. I can post a pic of the back of the board to see what you guys think.








The setup in my head involved more utilization of the reflective housing. This board is more directional so I may just paint the whole thing black and only rely on the LEDs to push the light

What do you guys think so far?
Attached Thumbnails
New corner light project-2684_zps8af4abf6.jpg   New corner light project-2685_zps33e81420.jpg   New corner light project-2686_zps905ae585.jpg   New corner light project-2687_zps10d7dbc0.jpg   New corner light project-2683_zpsa188660e.jpg  

New corner light project-2682_zpsbfc71321.jpg   New corner light project-2681_zpsd6b95445.jpg   New corner light project-2680_zpsc2ccd83c.jpg   New corner light project-2679_zpsa0894526.jpg   New corner light project-2676_zps3c9fd83c.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-24-2013
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
damn thats bright!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-24-2013
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99offroadrngr View Post
damn thats bright!
Came here to post that!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-25-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Yea, they are pretty bright. Whenever I get both boards mounted I will try them without the blinkers to see how much light they really put out on their own.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-25-2013
Taylor's Avatar
Ive been dubbed....an old volk
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville, NC
Posts: 7,110
Holy crap.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
So, I made a little progress tonight.

I've tried both blue and green painters tape, but both peel the reflective coating. I don't know if it's just eBay quality lenses or just the tape, but I only seem to have 1 option. Paint the whole thing black. I painted a spare to see what it would look like.

What do you guys think?





Attached Thumbnails
New corner light project-1053_zps171c5ab7.jpg   New corner light project-1054_zps4756c3c1.jpg   New corner light project-1055_zps11377e53.jpg   New corner light project-1057_zps29575ae6.jpg   New corner light project-1058_zpsb7085b5d.jpg  

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-08-2013
99offroadrngr's Avatar
TOYOTA
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,728
it looks good all black. Next time you try blue painters tape, stick it on your clothes a few times before putting it on the chrome coating.

ltr
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2013
korey89's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South, FL
Posts: 4,672
JP7 jr lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by korey89 View Post
JP7 jr lol
I knew that comment was coming lol.

I don't think I'll ever be at that level, but I like doing something different.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2013
buggman's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dougal County
Posts: 1,648
So THAT'S what you've been up to

Those corners look pretty good painted black inside.
You could always add a small t10 base bulb socket to the housing if you wanted to use the panels by themselves and still have corner markers or turn signals.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2013
ianyboy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Quebec City, QC, Canada
Posts: 302
so much light...how many lumens those put out? Im pretty sure my 100watts aren't as bright!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-10-2013
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
The black looks better than chrome imo.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2013
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
You can get some Perfboard and some Basic LED's and solder them yourself for a more custom directional LED's.

Perfboard This stuff cuts with a razor.

LEDS
A little solder and an iron and you can be on your way.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
You can get some Perfboard and some Basic LED's and solder them yourself for a more custom directional LED's.

Perfboard This stuff cuts with a razor.

LEDS
A little solder and an iron and you can be on your way.
Thanks for the link. I couldn't remember the name of the boards. This would be a more custom solution. Now I need a soldering iron
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2013
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01RangerEdge View Post
Thanks for the link. I couldn't remember the name of the boards. This would be a more custom solution. Now I need a soldering iron
The only issue i see with the perfboard is that it would need some sort of stability, its a bit harder than cardboard. But you can get some that is made of plastic as well, or something a lot closer to PCB Material.

For a starting soldering iron, I'd recommend something Variable heat with a stand.

Like This Like This

Its not bad, its top end of the power (40w) is pretty good for beginning. Normally i solder components around 45-55W. or around 550-700 Degrees F. depending on components and other boring variables.

If you need any help with soldering information (Irons, What solder to use, Flux etc) Let me know. I'm IPC certified for Soldering.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-12-2013
buggman's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dougal County
Posts: 1,648
You can find blank PCB's at radio shack or evilBay.

I keep a bunch of different sizes for the various custom stuff I do. It's about the same thickness as the pcb's on those led panels, very firm. They'll have hundreds of holes evenly spaced with copper dots on the back side.

If you get a solder iron, there's a couple trains of thought:

1. Cheap-o/ one time use: Get the cheapest one you can find (35w or better probably $10 or less from wally world or radio shack), get extra tips, especially if it's a no name brand that might use an odd size tip.

2. Middle of the road: Something like THIS
It has adjustable heat controls, better tips, fancy little station, etc. Still get extra tips just in case it gets discontinued.

3. buggman: buy a bunch of cheap irons, make your own custom tips, lengthen the cords & add some padding to keep your hand cool. Wear 'em out & toss 'em out when they're dead.
I've been soldering stuff for 30+ years & I've used some of the finest solder stations made, but I still like my cheap stuff for my own use. If I drop one or it wears out I can just toss it & grab another one off the shelf.

I like flux core solder, although I still brush on flux to make sure everything is good to go. It does make for more cleanup, but I wash all my custom stuff after all the soldering is finished anyhow.

Hey STX, is the IPC certification similar to ISO standards?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-12-2013
ranger024x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: nova
Posts: 5,061
looks good buddy!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-12-2013
StxDangerRanger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 6,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggman View Post
You can find blank PCB's at radio shack or evilBay.

I keep a bunch of different sizes for the various custom stuff I do. It's about the same thickness as the pcb's on those led panels, very firm. They'll have hundreds of holes evenly spaced with copper dots on the back side.

If you get a solder iron, there's a couple trains of thought:

1. Cheap-o/ one time use: Get the cheapest one you can find (35w or better probably $10 or less from wally world or radio shack), get extra tips, especially if it's a no name brand that might use an odd size tip.

2. Middle of the road: Something like THIS
It has adjustable heat controls, better tips, fancy little station, etc. Still get extra tips just in case it gets discontinued.

3. buggman: buy a bunch of cheap irons, make your own custom tips, lengthen the cords & add some padding to keep your hand cool. Wear 'em out & toss 'em out when they're dead.
I've been soldering stuff for 30+ years & I've used some of the finest solder stations made, but I still like my cheap stuff for my own use. If I drop one or it wears out I can just toss it & grab another one off the shelf.

I like flux core solder, although I still brush on flux to make sure everything is good to go. It does make for more cleanup, but I wash all my custom stuff after all the soldering is finished anyhow.

Hey STX, is the IPC certification similar to ISO standards?
Yea, The company i work for is ISO Certified and they paid for it.

I use Flux core solder as well and I have flux pens when i normally solder, Flux is your best friend when it comes to board level soldering.

I guess the other thing i'll add is that, if your looking for a good long term brand, Weller would be it. They haven't changed the size of their soldering tips in years, you can still buy tips today for 30 year old irons because they don't change. But, if we're looking for Quality, I've come to really like my Metcal, I started using one in College and just recently bought my own. I will probably never buy another.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-12-2013
seed60's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (15)
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 5,584
Looks awesome! Once perfected you're making me some.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-12-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by seed60 View Post
Looks awesome! Once perfected you're making me some.
These could be handy for you. Almost like built in rock lights for night wheeling
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-12-2013
buggman's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dougal County
Posts: 1,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by StxDangerRanger View Post
Yea, The company i work for is ISO Certified and they paid for it.

I use Flux core solder as well and I have flux pens when i normally solder, Flux is your best friend when it comes to board level soldering.

I guess the other thing i'll add is that, if your looking for a good long term brand, Weller would be it. They haven't changed the size of their soldering tips in years, you can still buy tips today for 30 year old irons because they don't change. But, if we're looking for Quality, I've come to really like my Metcal, I started using one in College and just recently bought my own. I will probably never buy another.

Cool.
I never got an "official" certificate, but after years of training hundreds of employees how to solder, you'd think they would have spend the $0.99 on a certificate for me

Wellers are good irons too. I have a small pencil iron that I've used for 15+ years. The first one I've seen that uses screw-in tips. Impossible to find new tips, so I make my own out of 10ga copper wire & thread the end myself. Redneck engineering at it's finest.

Looks like we're gonna be adding another solder slinger to the forum now.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-15-2013
01RangerEdge's Avatar
Scrambles the DeathDealer
Thread Starter
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, MO
Posts: 7,598
More progress tonight. I got the boards glued down and I decided to paint as much of white board as I could to help it blend into the black housing.

Tomorrow I should have the lenses on



Attached Thumbnails
New corner light project-20130915_214045_zpse2f688c9.jpg   New corner light project-20130915_214057_zps1aa96cdd.jpg   New corner light project-20130915_212829_zpsce5322bc.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-16-2013
buggman's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (38)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dougal County
Posts: 1,648
Lookin' good!

You might want to squirt a little silicone in the back to cover the old bulb holder opening just to help keep any moisture out.

Also, if you are gonna make a set from scratch, you can paint the pcb beforehand & it will almost completely disappear in the housing.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-18-2013
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Western PA
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggman View Post
Cool.

Wellers are good irons too. I have a small pencil iron that I've used for 15+ years. The first one I've seen that uses screw-in tips. Impossible to find new tips, so I make my own out of 10ga copper wire & thread the end myself. Redneck engineering at it's finest.
I have an Antex 12w 650 degree Model M12. It's a super thin iron with replaceable tips. Made in the UK. Available on Amazon and fleabay. If anyone buys one, make sure you get 115v version. They make 12v, 115v and 230v. It is a really good pencil iron.

USA distributor.
Antex Soldering Irons On M.M. Newman Corp.

Official Antex web page
http://www.antex.co.uk/soldering/sta...ing-irons/m12/

I also have a vintage Weller D550. 325watts of soldering power and joy.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-18-2013
Scrambler82's Avatar
Old Guy Userů ltr
iTrader: (12)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 6,773
I like the look !
I like the light output !

My only problem is, if you are going to use these for side markers and directionals, the wiring will be interesting.

I didn't read anywhere in the thread about using them as directionals but I do like the Directional Mod where the side markers blink with the turn signals and would want to keep that option.
LEDs will not work with the standard Directional Mod and unless there is a two level light output then you will need separate LEDs and additional wiring.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: NEW 01+ Passenger side clear corner light - NC Taylor Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 3 06-27-2012 08:23 PM
Headlight and corner light mod Hanks Rangers Exterior Semi-Tech 16 09-20-2008 09:54 PM
Corner light ? Parker General Technical & Electrical 5 03-18-2008 09:54 AM
headlight, tail light and corner light switch bad Matt3203 General Technical & Electrical 2 11-28-2007 10:14 PM
how to get battery acid off corner light cbranger96 Auto Detailing 101 4 12-29-2006 11:18 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:21 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.