You know what I never see? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


New Ideas Have a new idea for your Ford Ranger? General discussion of new ideas for the Ford Ranger.

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-09-2007
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 4
You know what I never see?

A Ranger going down the road with no doors. Jeep style, doors removed and the rear window down (for those with sliding windows). Running around doorless seems it might be cool to me.
Is that a stupid idea , or even a reality? Getting a kit or something to make your doors removable and reattachable, just to take out around the hills on a pretty day?
I learned to drive on a standard 99' Mustang Convertible, my mom's car. I miss the experience. The tranny and open roof are out of the question for me, but open doors would be a lot more open, maybe with a sunroof and the rear window slid over.
What do ya'll think? Not that I could do something like that in the next year or two, but I wonder. It'd keep me from thinking about selling my car for a jeep and some help with tuition.

-Wade
  #2  
Old 10-09-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
i have always wanted to.. but im going to wait until its not a DD to make some sort of quick release.. people take old junked doors and make half doors...


all you really need to worry about is the wire(s) and maybe aligning it back up when you put it back on?

only problem is, that unlike the jeep, rangers have no lip to catch stuff from rolling out of the truck.


but if you figure out a quick and easy way, let me know
  #3  
Old 10-09-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
  #4  
Old 10-09-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
because it is illegal.......the reason Jeeps can do it is the floor is lower than the door opening....
  #5  
Old 10-09-2007
jtfoxman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Poconos
Posts: 891
Plus if you remove the doors there are no side mirrors, which is illegal. Most Jeepers have them mounted up under the windshield. The ones that don't they are just overlooked since it is common to see them without doors and most police will look the other way.
  #6  
Old 10-09-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Spring Hope, NC
Posts: 18
and rangers use the doors as part of the roll over protection. Jeeps have roll bars for that reason. Think about a ranger with the front and rear doors all open and how long a span that makes for the roof. That's all pretty much stamped sheet metal. I've always wanted to go doorless, but like 99Ranger4x4 said, I'll wait until it's not a DD or when I have another truck and make some tube or half doors.
  #7  
Old 10-09-2007
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
no worky for me
  #8  
Old 10-09-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
^^yea me either...
  #9  
Old 10-09-2007
Steve_O113's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 562
same
  #10  
Old 10-09-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nfuriate
and rangers use the doors as part of the roll over protection. Jeeps have roll bars for that reason. Think about a ranger with the front and rear doors all open and how long a span that makes for the roof. That's all pretty much stamped sheet metal. I've always wanted to go doorless, but like 99Ranger4x4 said, I'll wait until it's not a DD or when I have another truck and make some tube or half doors.
... you roll your truck is flat, even if you have rear doors or a roll bar in your bed.... i still think it would be cool do to for one day ha... you get a ticket you get a ticket oh well, its my giving back to the community
  #11  
Old 10-09-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslmn720
you get a ticket you get a ticket oh well, its my giving back to the community
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.....
  #12  
Old 10-09-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.....
how so, i know im doing something wrong so im willing to suffer the consequences... seems more noble then half the people on here that think theyre above the law
  #13  
Old 10-09-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy
no worky for me
bolix... all it was, was the results from searching "doorless" on here it came up with alot of threads with pictures
  #14  
Old 10-09-2007
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
It's been done, but it's not very safe. And the ranger doors are MUCH heavier than they look!
  #15  
Old 10-09-2007
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61
It's been done, but it's not very safe. And the ranger doors are MUCH heavier than they look!
aint that the truth, replaced a door on my splash and XLT. there freaking heavy
  #16  
Old 10-09-2007
99ranger4x4's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 12,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard.....
you're the stupidest thing I've ever heard...

man, if we want to be stupid and take our doors off, lets us be, ****... if we get a ticket, fine we deserved it
  #17  
Old 10-09-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
^^^ what she said
  #18  
Old 10-09-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
gil used to wheel without his doors, and brenton took his off for a day.
  #19  
Old 10-09-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtslmn720
how so, i know im doing something wrong so im willing to suffer the consequences... seems more noble then half the people on here that think theyre above the law
ummm who thinks they are above the law doing something you know is wrong is dumb.....why take a chance of wasting your money? come on now, you got to have more common sense than that.....that is like saying, i know it is illegal to kill someone, but if i get caught, i get caught.....
  #20  
Old 10-09-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
what is wrong with having fun. and just because there off does not mean that you will get introuble. the dude at the azusa meet didnt have doors on his yota and he drive the the middle of town up a mountain and then back so wtf gives if i wanted to take my doors off i would.
  #21  
Old 10-09-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
some people just want to blow smoke up......, and just cant except differences.
  #22  
Old 10-09-2007
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
what is wrong with having fun. and just because there off does not mean that you will get introuble. the dude at the azusa meet didnt have doors on his yota and he drive the the middle of town up a mountain and then back so wtf gives if i wanted to take my doors off i would.
again....because some vehicles have the floor pan lower than the lowest part of the door....

i guess idiots don't understand what SAFETY is......since you off road your truck, taking the doors off without a roll cage is dangerous....even on the road with a lifted Ranger (since the center of gravity is higher) you have a greater chance of rolling it....if by chance you roll your Ranger without the doors, the cab will cave in easier....the doors are there for structural support......meaning, since you seem not to comprehend, that they are there to save your retarted ***......

not just for you, but for your passangers also.....stop being stupid and think about the people who would be with you, not just yourself....
  #23  
Old 10-09-2007
Hellion's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: El Cajon, CA
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
ummm who thinks they are above the law doing something you know is wrong is dumb.....why take a chance of wasting your money? come on now, you got to have more common sense than that.....that is like saying, i know it is illegal to kill someone, but if i get caught, i get caught.....
So your saying youve never gone over the speed limit? cause thats against the law. and wrong. making you dumb. and its also like saying that the amount of money you have controls your chances of doing something wrong. which can be true in some cases. but were not trying to generalize here. so is your "Logic" really all that fool proof? i think not. and traffic laws are WAY different than killing someone lol. ide break the speed limit every day, run some lights, and hit some curbs befor ide KILL someone.....although doing all that would probably lead to the same result lol.

Money situations change from person to person. if i got 3bills to throw around. **** it. if you dont. **** it. see my point?

And yes, the doors are Seriously heavy. and unless you figure out a quick release, its not practical. cause its kinda hard to line em back up when you put them back on. ESPECIALLY when doing it by yourself lol. also the quick release would have to be hella strong cause jeep doors i think are like HALF the wieght.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
again....because some vehicles have the floor pan lower than the lowest part of the door....

i guess idiots don't understand what SAFETY is......since you off road your truck, taking the doors off without a roll cage is dangerous....even on the road with a lifted Ranger (since the center of gravity is higher) you have a greater chance of rolling it....if by chance you roll your Ranger without the doors, the cab will cave in easier....the doors are there for structural support......meaning, since you seem not to comprehend, that they are there to save your retarted ***......

not just for you, but for your passangers also.....stop being stupid and think about the people who would be with you, not just yourself....
Theres so much wrong with that its not funny. it has logic dont get me wrong. and you prove some points. but 1. who flips there truck? its called caution and knowing what the hell your doing and not going 75 doing it.
2. we dont need 2 inch letters do get the point. just rational conversation skills.
and 3. we should seriously all just get along, and be constructive.

Last edited by Hellion; 10-09-2007 at 02:11 PM.
  #24  
Old 10-09-2007
jtslmn720's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Kent State, Kent Ohio
Posts: 7,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
ummm who thinks they are above the law doing something you know is wrong is dumb.....why take a chance of wasting your money? come on now, you got to have more common sense than that.....that is like saying, i know it is illegal to kill someone, but if i get caught, i get caught.....
i said that to that kid because he was saying that laws were meant to be broken and then was a dick to everyone... im just saying that to some people it might be worth it to them to get a ticket... people lift their trucks beyond the legal limit and no one bats and eye, still illegal though
  #25  
Old 10-09-2007
mental ambiguity
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Enough of the pissing matches. Grow up, or get banned.

Bunch of freakin 2 year olds around here..
Closed Thread

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you guys see what I see? HarryTasker General Ford Ranger Discussion 19 04-17-2010 12:22 AM
never thought you'd see this on a corvette SVT01RANGER Snapshots 16 07-19-2009 08:30 PM
Trailer hitch with a rollpan, but you'll never see it.... 2fast55 Snapshots 21 01-17-2009 07:34 PM
how come i never see..... rangerkidSHSU Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 14 04-20-2007 09:00 PM
BOB..i know you can see this! HELP Sonic_03 General Technical & Electrical 9 02-07-2007 05:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:45 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.