What type of oil do you use? - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Oil & Lubrication General discussion of motor oil and lubrication products and analysis.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 12-11-2006
Boomdock's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington, IA
Posts: 218
5W-30 conventional oil and a Motorcrafe filter every 3,000 miles.

After 150,000 miles I've had absolutely no problems.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-11-2006
Snow Wolf's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Westminster M.D.
Posts: 1,577
in my charger i use 20w50 and i change it every 3,000 mile
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-11-2006
Rockledge's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 479
Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 in all 3 of my Fords. Yes it's a diesel-rated oil. Yes it's also great for gasoline engines. Changed every 3-5K. Motorcraft filters.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-11-2006
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
castrol 10w 30 every 3
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-11-2006
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
motorcraft 5W20 and a motorcraft FL400s every 5K, spending any more on anything else is a waste of money.

the only thing i personaly would put mobil 1 in would be a Z06 corvette!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-11-2006
anthony84_2004's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Jesup, Georgia
Posts: 760
motorcraft 5-30 syn blend and MC filters
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-11-2006
karrbass4life's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
5w30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15k Oil) and Mobil 1 filter
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-12-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 688
5w-20 seems a tad thin for the 4.0, it calls for 5w-30. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 with a Mobil 1 M1-210 filter.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-12-2006
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3elz
Amsoil Series 2000, 0W30 full synthetic -- the "best" in my opinion.

I change my oil once a year, around 19,000 miles on average. I use 3 filters total (one in at the change, and another every 6 to 7 thousand miles) and and additional quart or so during that time for "top off" after the filter change.

I use Amsoil eA series oil and air filters also. Microfiber is wonderful stuff.
I use Amsoil as well and it is a remarkable product, the filters also work very well (both oil and air) but I use 5w-30 and change the oil at 10,000 with a filter change every 5K.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-12-2006
n3elz's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Kennett Square, PA
Posts: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
motorcraft 5W20 and a motorcraft FL400s every 5K, spending any more on anything else is a waste of money.
Sure if you throw it away and WASTE it every 5k, lol...synthetics are only worthwhile under two conditions:
Extreme conditions and long service life.

You cited the first for your Corvette, but the second applies also whether you acknowledge it or not.

I probably spend less for my lubrication, create less waste to be disposed of or recycled, and have better overall lubrication than those changing every 3k with petroleum oils. But most folks are so indoctrinated they can't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-12-2006
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
john dont spew your avon like product at me mmmmkkkkkay! lol

i'm not as you say "indoctrinated" and have been told i know a thing or two about cars, i dont see the point.

used oil creates no waste anymore, most companys PAY the shop to pick it up!
you have no gain buy using any of these types of oils in any ranger lmao!!


now i know i just opened the floodgates and you will bash me in this thread and probley every other thread i post in from now on but it is what it is.



JUST OIL!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-14-2006
Mike9825's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Willard OH
Posts: 489
mobil1 5w30, changed every 6-7000K miles -Mike-
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-14-2006
RHuckster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca.
Posts: 643
5-30 Mobil 1, change it every 5K miles. Have been using Mobil 1 for years & have never had a motor failure but I could have probably used a good brand Dino oil & changed oil @ 3K & gotten the same results. I put so many miles on my vehicles in a very short time I need to go @ least 5K between oil changes or I would be down getting the oil changed every month.

Rick
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-14-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Haverhill, MA
Posts: 1,907
AMSOIL 5w30 i was running mobil 1 but i switch and i love the AMSOIL!! i also use motocraft filter i need to try the AMSOIL one ill have to buy online but the guy who sells the oil is right up the street :)
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-14-2006
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
john dont spew your avon like product at me mmmmkkkkkay! lol

i'm not as you say "indoctrinated" and have been told i know a thing or two about cars, i dont see the point.

used oil creates no waste anymore, most companys PAY the shop to pick it up!
you have no gain buy using any of these types of oils in any ranger lmao!!


now i know i just opened the floodgates and you will bash me in this thread and probley every other thread i post in from now on but it is what it is.



JUST OIL!!!!!!
Your statement is simply not true, and you know it, there are differences in oil, and for choosing to run one oil over another, no one should be criticized. If you ran it just once, you would know why people like it so much. I get 20-21MPG in the city with a 4.0 and heavy foot, the amsoil is part of the reason my mileage is so good.....
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-14-2006
deapee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 141
I use mobil 1 5w30 every 4k miles and a motorcraft filter. Whether I'm changing it too early or not doesn't matter to me. It's worth the little bit extra to me to know I'm keeping my engine healthy.

It ends up not costing much more because every 12k miles, I change it 3 times (3 x $30 a pop = $90) whereas with conventional oil I would have changed it 4 times (4 x $20 a pop = $80).

I'd go longer, but most of my mileage is really short. 1 mile to the store or 1.5 miles to work...1/2 mile to eat, 1/2 mile back to work, 1.5 miles home, 1 mile to the store, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-14-2006
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by graygooseranger
Your statement is simply not true, and you know it, there are differences in oil, and for choosing to run one oil over another, no one should be criticized. If you ran it just once, you would know why people like it so much. I get 20-21MPG in the city with a 4.0 and heavy foot, the amsoil is part of the reason my mileage is so good.....
ah the great oil debate

i could care less as to what you spend your money on, the truth is that no ranger engine is designed to use those types of oils.

if you want to pour it in then knock yourself out, there is zero gain.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-14-2006
RHuckster's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca.
Posts: 643
Hmmm...I don't usually argue about what oil is better but to say your oil is the biggest reason your MPG is so high I have to chime in. My FX4 before I added the heavy *** & larger tires & wheels I was averaging 20+ MPG. Now with my few mods I'm getting between 18-20MPG depending on my foot.
Now this is with a 4X4 & auto.
I doubt very seriously that the oil has much or any impact on MPG.

Rick
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-14-2006
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHuckster
Hmmm...I don't usually argue about what oil is better but to say your oil is the biggest reason your MPG is so high I have to chime in. My FX4 before I added the heavy *** & larger tires & wheels I was averaging 20+ MPG. Now with my few mods I'm getting between 18-20MPG depending on my foot.
Now this is with a 4X4 & auto.
I doubt very seriously that the oil has much or any impact on MPG.

Rick
I could see how you may think that, but I didn't switch to amsoil until I had almost 20K on my truck, and I drive the same routes every week, and sit in the same traffic everyday, and fill up with the same grade of gas from the same station and use to average, 18-19, so it is the oil, thats the only logical thing I can think of.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-14-2006
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
your right rick, the only way you could get bad MPG would be to use 20W50 insted of what the engine is designed to use.

like i said
zero gain, money gone.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-14-2006
seneca's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Barksdale AFB, LA
Posts: 115
Royal Purple 5w-30 very expensive but very good. i could tell a deffinite difference with it. i am also going to start using the royal purple transmission fluid but it's $10 bucks a bottle.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-14-2006
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
your right rick, the only way you could get bad MPG would be to use 20W50 insted of what the engine is designed to use.

like i said
zero gain, money gone.
This is insane, I am telling you a fact, you have never used this product, there for you do not know.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-14-2006
04 EDGE
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
nor will i ever chris. i can not justify spending that kind of money on a simple oil change. and no it is not insane. and there is no facts. therefore i do know, after all i have been changing oil probley longer then you have been alive.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-14-2006
03RangerInROC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: rochester, ny
Posts: 530
5w-20 castrol gtx full synthetic
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-14-2006
greygooseranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 3,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 EDGE
nor will i ever chris. i can not justify spending that kind of money on a simple oil change. and no it is not insane. and there is no facts. therefore i do know, after all i have been changing oil probley longer then you have been alive.
The fact that you know how to unscrew a plug and change a filter does not make you an expert at oil, even if you have done it longer then I have been alive. I also do not appreciate the fact that you think you know more then me because you are 13 years older than I am. My intention is not to argue with you, I am simply stating that if you haven't tried it, you don't know. Thats like saying that all beer tastes the same because they all have barley and hops in them, which any beer drinker knows is simply not true.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind/ type of Polisher you guys and gals use? Rapala Auto Detailing 101 14 04-14-2009 07:05 PM
What kind of oil do you use Vaterland 2.3L & 2.5L I4 Tech 25 02-21-2007 12:25 PM
What oil do you guys use? Rebelord 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 38 06-09-2006 07:57 PM
Type-R vs Type-S Pinecone Audio & Video Tech 4 12-15-2004 08:25 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.