lifted97ranger's auto to manual swap..... - Page 6 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Project Logs For detailed builds specific to the Ford Ranger, one thread per vehicle please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #126  
Old 12-31-2007
Rolldogg's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 3,424
Congrats on the successful swap. I bet they'll be a lot of members waiting on that How-To. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old 12-31-2007
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Congrats on your installation, Maurice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
lol.....i am guessing that is a stock slave.....since it was Bob's old transmission (out of his Level II), i doubt he put junk parts in there.
I would assume that it is a factory Ford part. The dealer installed it under warranty and I never saw it until I pulled the transmission.
Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old 12-31-2007
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
congrats Maurice. Sounds like you were organized and Got it done.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old 01-02-2008
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
I want better pics of the tranny. I believe you have my ex-extension housing.
Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old 01-02-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Good job man! I might tackle this in the future, but who knows I think i've said that like fifty times tho lol
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old 01-03-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorsEDGE
I want better pics of the tranny. I believe you have my ex-extension housing.
that i do.....i got the tranny from Bob...
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 01-04-2008
crhaack's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Middleton, WI
Posts: 78
so why didnt you just leave the full length expo console in? i put one in my 95 and the only place it hits is when i go into reverse, and then it barely touches it. with that level 2 shift arm you should be able to clear the console no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 01-04-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhaack
so why didnt you just leave the full length expo console in? i put one in my 95 and the only place it hits is when i go into reverse, and then it barely touches it. with that level 2 shift arm you should be able to clear the console no problem.
I didn't have the Explorer installed and I don't like the looks of the Explorer full length console with a manual transmission.......I like the shorty console with a manual.....
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 01-05-2008
Trigger01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 18,788
Congrats Maurice!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 04-09-2008
dieselmac99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lunenburg, MA
Posts: 18
Hey Maurice, I got a 4.0 auto 4X4 and really want to do the big swap. I was wondering if you knew if I would have to do anything to the 4X4 since its an auto trans. case. Or am I just blabbing on about things I don't understand. Any help is appreciated. Thanks man.
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 04-09-2008
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
all you need to do is make sure you have the right tail housing on the manual trans and it will bolt right up.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 04-09-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselmac99 View Post
Hey Maurice, I got a 4.0 auto 4X4 and really want to do the big swap. I was wondering if you knew if I would have to do anything to the 4X4 since its an auto trans. case. Or am I just blabbing on about things I don't understand. Any help is appreciated. Thanks man.
as long as you have a 4wd manual transmission, then the electric shift transfer case will bolt up like normal. there is no different transfer cases from an automatic to a manual.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 04-09-2008
graniteguy's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,221
ditto. Its gonna limit you on finding a used one. At least in these parts. 4.0 4x4's are rare here.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 04-10-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by graniteguy View Post
ditto. Its gonna limit you on finding a used one. At least in these parts. 4.0 4x4's are rare here.


espically with a manual transmission
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 04-14-2008
dieselmac99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lunenburg, MA
Posts: 18
what about shift on the fly? or w/e its called. so are you saying parts would be much more difficult to come by because i got the 4.0?
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 04-14-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
You won't need to do any modification to the transfer case or the shift on the fly electronics for it. ALL Ranger transfer cases have the same bolting pattern. You will have to take the transfer case out to swap the transmissions.

4.0 4wd manual transmissions are harder to find is what we are saying.

You will need the EXACt same parts as I listed in the first post and nothing more
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 04-14-2008
dieselmac99's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lunenburg, MA
Posts: 18
oh i see. thanks so much guys. i really appreciate this. you're all friggin geniuses. thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 12-11-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
I know this is an old thread, but i need some info. Anyone know if you can use the auto tranny harness??? Im trying to get the last bit of parts for the m/t swap so i can be done with it! thanks in advance

edit: if you can use the auto harness, what all has to be rewired/removed?

Last edited by NicksterSVT; 12-11-2008 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #144  
Old 12-11-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
The auto harness just has a bunch of unneeded wires compared to the manual. As far as I can see, it should be plug and play except the reverse light switch. Get the correct connector for the manual reverse switch and splice to the auto harness's reverse wires and you should be good to go. Also, the OSS (speed sensor) is a few inches farther back on the manual than the auto so you might possibly need to splice in a short extension to it 2 wires or maybe not. The oxygen sensor connectors are in the same relative position and should plug right in.
Reply With Quote
  #145  
Old 12-11-2008
00stepside's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: castle rock, colorado
Posts: 263
i just finished the swap and all i did was cross 2 wires on the origanal harness (i called my ford friend who i did work on his house he is my ford guru he has a mansion of a shop in his back yard that he works out of. its so cool im jealous, but enough of that so i called him told him the truck is not is not starting. he looked up the wireing diagram and told me whick wires to cross and sure enough is started) so my truck knew it was in park or nuetral so it could start and that was it. i have the rest it zip tied... i have no wires into my tranny so my reverse light does not work... im in the process of hooking up light in the rear and have a switch in the cab easy fix... and also now my transfer case does not know its in park stopped in nuetral, so i cannot switch into 4lo i can still use 4hi but when i need it i have ro remove the little motor on the back of the t-case to do so...

again i called my friend the guru and he said it was a pretty complicated thing... so im just going to get a manual tranfercase... kinda easy fix haha so yeah thats what i did... and i still have my old comp in my truck i have a check engine light on i have the manual comp under my seat just need to get it to ford or my guru so they can use there machine and match it too my key.. little sensor..
Reply With Quote
  #146  
Old 12-11-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00stepside View Post
he looked up the wireing diagram and told me whick wires to cross and sure enough is started) so my truck knew it was in park or nuetral so it could start and that was it.
Yup, I forgot about that one. You'll need to jump the P/N safety interlock that would be contolled by the Transmission Ranger Sensor in an automatic truck.
Reply With Quote
  #147  
Old 12-11-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
The auto harness just has a bunch of unneeded wires compared to the manual. As far as I can see, it should be plug and play except the reverse light switch. Get the correct connector for the manual reverse switch and splice to the auto harness's reverse wires and you should be good to go. Also, the OSS (speed sensor) is a few inches farther back on the manual than the auto so you might possibly need to splice in a short extension to it 2 wires or maybe not. The oxygen sensor connectors are in the same relative position and should plug right in.
thank you! I am not using the ranger tranny and im converting to 2wd so the connectors werent that big of a deal anyway. i have a pin out for the truck, so ill figure out what all i gotta do to make things work correctly.

if you missed my project thread, here it is:

https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...=55141&page=13

thank you once again!
Reply With Quote
  #148  
Old 12-11-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
Yup, I forgot about that one. You'll need to jump the P/N safety interlock that would be contolled by the Transmission Ranger Sensor in an automatic truck.
does this mean i wont have to use the cpp switch?
Reply With Quote
  #149  
Old 12-11-2008
V8 Level II's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksterSVT View Post
does this mean i wont have to use the cpp switch?
The automatic truck uses a 6-pin jumper that plugs into the harness in place of the CPP. With that in place, the CPP should be bypassed. In addition to losing the starter interlock, you'd also lose the speed control cancel feature of the CPP and the clutch input to the PCM.

However, since the 3 switches are independent inside the CPP, it would be possible to use the CPP and selectively disable one or more switches by jumpering without disabling them all.
Reply With Quote
  #150  
Old 12-11-2008
NicksterSVT's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwenzing View Post
The automatic truck uses a 6-pin jumper that plugs into the harness in place of the CPP. With that in place, the CPP should be bypassed. In addition to losing the starter interlock, you'd also lose the speed control cancel feature of the CPP and the clutch input to the PCM.

However, since the 3 switches are independent inside the CPP, it would be possible to use the CPP and selectively disable one or more switches by jumpering without disabling them all.
sweet! thank you! i wont be running speed control, so thats not a concern. I have been told that i could run my auto ecm, but im kinda skeptical. what are your thoughts on that?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
auto tranny to manual tranny swap Draimen Drivetrain Tech 2 09-03-2016 11:35 AM
2004 Ranger Service Manual, Wiring Manual and Haynes Manual - NC 04blackedge Interior, Exterior, Electrical, & Misc. 1 05-07-2009 05:43 PM
auto to manual tranny swap crawly1025 4.0L OHV & SOHC V6 Tech 4 09-11-2008 02:01 PM
1996 Explorer Auto To Manual Hub Swap Toreador4x4 Drivetrain Tech 14 01-20-2008 10:55 PM
Auto to manual swap ??? markw_06 Drivetrain Tech 3 11-06-2006 02:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.