Engine grinding in 2.5 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines Discussions and Topics specific to the Lima 4 cylinder engines

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-30-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Engine grinding in 2.5

This is my first post in this site. I have a 1998 ranger 2.5 4 cyl. One day after I went through a big puddle at high speed I noticed the engine was making a sort of grinding sound. I thought nothing of it, just a wet belt or something a kept on driving. It's now been a couple weeks and it makes that sound a little worse now. It only starts making the sound at about 1100 Rpm and will stop making the sound at around 2300 Rpm. It isn't the Drive Train or tranny because it will make the sound regardless of what gear it in; IE, Park drive neutral 1st 2nd ect. This has me completely at a loss of any idea of what it could be. I thought it could be a possible need for an oil change but did that today and still making the sound. It is an auto tranny if that helps at all.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangedanger View Post
This is my first post in this site. I have a 1998 ranger 2.5 4 cyl. One day after I went through a big puddle at high speed I noticed the engine was making a sort of grinding sound. I thought nothing of it, just a wet belt or something a kept on driving. It's now been a couple weeks and it makes that sound a little worse now. It only starts making the sound at about 1100 Rpm and will stop making the sound at around 2300 Rpm. It isn't the Drive Train or tranny because it will make the sound regardless of what gear it in; IE, Park drive neutral 1st 2nd ect. This has me completely at a loss of any idea of what it could be. I thought it could be a possible need for an oil change but did that today and still making the sound. It is an auto tranny if that helps at all.
Have you by chance removed the serpentine belt and run the engine to se if the noise is still present?? I would not run it long maybe a 1 minute or so because the water pump will not be operating. Worth a try.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-30-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
I have not I'll have to try it. If it is the belt I should just replace the belt then?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangedanger View Post
I have not I'll have to try it. If it is the belt I should just replace the belt then?
Sorry I forgot to mention that if the noise has stopped with the belt removed check all the compotents that the belt runs for any rough or bad bearings by wigglying and turning them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-30-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
Look at your air filter and make sure that you haven't sucked any water into the engine. Check your oil and see if it is milky. If so, change your oil and you should be good to go because if you sucked up too much you would be rebuilding your engine by now.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Have you by chance removed the serpentine belt and run the engine to se if the noise is still present?? I would not run it long maybe a 1 minute or so because the water pump will not be operating. Worth a try.
I actually just replaced the belt figured when it's off might as well. Checked all the things on it like water pump and all that. All sounded good. Noise is still present though.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by meistreguy View Post
Look at your air filter and make sure that you haven't sucked any water into the engine. Check your oil and see if it is milky. If so, change your oil and you should be good to go because if you sucked up too much you would be rebuilding your engine by now.
Oil was already changed after it happened and there is a little mud on the filter not much though
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, WI
Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangedanger View Post
I actually just replaced the belt figured when it's off might as well. Checked all the things on it like water pump and all that. All sounded good. Noise is still present though.


Did you have it running without the belt on??? Are you saying the noise was still present, if so it might be timing belt related as in timing belt tenssioner bearing. Just a thought.
You may need to use a long screwdriver to your ear and listen to different compotenents. Be careful of any belts or moving parts.

Last edited by tempfixit; 04-03-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempfixit View Post
Did you have it running without the belt on??? Are you saying the noise was still present, if so it might be timing belt related as in timing belt tenssioner bearing. Just a thought.
You may need to use a long screwdriver to your ear and listen to different compotenents. Be careful of any belts or moving parts.
I was actually thinking timing belt related. Also gas mpg has gotten a tad worse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-17-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Ok update time. The worsen mpg was the fact that I needed a couple filters, but I am now sure that it is the heat shield on the Cadi converter, that has misled me. Anyone now how to fix a vibrating heat shield?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-17-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Ok so the worse mpg was a couple bad filters. I am now sure that it was the cadi converter heat shield that misled me. anyone know how to fix a vibrating heat sheild?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-17-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Round Rock
Posts: 484
If it is held on by rivets you may be able to get by by grinding off the rivets and then drill and then tap for new bolts. What I did once was to remove the heat shield and then you get this foil sheet heat shield that has a sticky side and stick it to the underneath the floor pan about the converter. I don't recommend heat wrap unless you can find something that will take the heat because header wrap will melt!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-01-2012
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NB
Posts: 22
Ok so My altenator was going through this whole time only completely went now. The heat sheild is now fixed(ripped off). Now no more noise I think it was a mix of the 2 that was making the noise.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-01-2012
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Windsor, WI
Posts: 93
Glad you found the fix and thanks for posting fix.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2012
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cordova, TN
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangedanger View Post
Ok so the worse mpg was a couple bad filters. I am now sure that it was the cadi converter heat shield that misled me. anyone know how to fix a vibrating heat sheild?
I had to take my heat shield off once. I reattached it (tightly) by buying a couple of really big hose clamps (the type that tightens with a screw) and just putting those around the whole shield and tightening it on. It has never vibrated since.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grinding sound when starting 01fordby4 General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 11-02-2016 01:05 AM
4X4 Grinding Noise saltdog General Ford Ranger Discussion 11 02-18-2006 07:01 AM
grinding noise CAW Drivetrain Tech 7 12-11-2005 11:56 AM
vent fan grinding?? flyboy General Technical & Electrical 15 12-07-2005 03:48 PM
HELP QUICK: Clunking/Grinding/popping Zero Drivetrain Tech 10 03-30-2005 11:26 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:34 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.