Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource

Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource (https://www.ranger-forums.com/)
-   SOHC - 2.3L & 2.5L Lima Engines (https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2-3l-2-5l-lima-engines-135/)
-   -   truck wont start power steering everywhere? (https://www.ranger-forums.com/sohc-2-3l-2-5l-lima-engines-135/truck-wont-start-power-steering-everywhere-132697/)

97RANGE23 03-31-2012 10:12 PM

truck wont start power steering everywhere?
 
Started my truck pulled out of my parking spot and started driving. Soon as I shifted to second gear it stalled looked under the hood and saw power steering fluid sprayed everywhere. What could it be now it won't start at all? Thanks for your help.

97RANGE23 03-31-2012 10:19 PM

Oh 97 2.3 5speed.

06RangerXLT 03-31-2012 10:44 PM

something got wet. did a power steering line blow?

tempfixit 03-31-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06RangerXLT (Post 1972162)
something got wet. did a power steering line blow?

Do you have spark and or fuel??? Just wondering if the power steering pressure switchh on the pressure line from pump to steering gear box has something to do with turning off the engine with no pressure at the switch. If no spark I would see if you have power to the camshaft sensor. Try a fused jumper on the power steering pressuure switch and see if it starts.

97RANGE23 04-01-2012 03:08 PM

I have power and fuel.

tempfixit 04-01-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972298)
I have power and fuel.

You say power, are you saying it has spark or that it has a good battery to crank the engine??

Do you have spark at the plugs?

97RANGE23 04-01-2012 06:31 PM

Has a good battery and spark, changed the plugs and wires a month ago. This is really weird. The power steering fluid everywhere is strange.

tempfixit 04-01-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972367)
Has a good battery and spark, changed the plugs and wires a month ago. This is really weird. The power steering fluid everywhere is strange.

Which power steering hose sprung a leak?? I assume it is the pressure line to have fluid all over.

Have you checked the air filter to make sure it is clean, also clean the MAF sensor.

If you have spark at plugs, good fuel pressure and air it should run.

ANy check engine light on??

Like some one mentioned before some thing has to be wet from the fluid to prevent it from running.

Have you checked all fuses and relays?/

97RANGE23 04-01-2012 09:36 PM

Found the problem, Timing Belt snapped.

tempfixit 04-01-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972464)
Found the problem, Timing Belt snapped.

That explains the no run situation but what about the power steering leak.

How many miles on vehicle??

97RANGE23 04-01-2012 10:11 PM

200758 miles, I checked all lines and hoses going to the PS pump no leaks or loose broken lines.

1996DangerRanger 04-01-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972476)
200758 miles, I checked all lines and hoses going to the PS pump no leaks or loose broken lines.

I wouldn't worry about the PS. Mine spits some fluid out of the vent hole every now and then, which is evidenced by the wet areas in the bay. However, checking the level shows no loss or problems.

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 09:06 AM

How difficult is it to replace the belt? Doesn't looking to hard and I am mechaniclly inclined. Starting this project later today.

tempfixit 04-02-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972557)
How difficult is it to replace the belt? Doesn't looking to hard and I am mechaniclly inclined. Starting this project later today.

Not that hard just takes time and common sense. Go to www.autozone.com and register for th repair guide, it is free.

I would consider installing new water pump at the same time, since you have all the work done to access it and later failure of old pump would contaminated the new belt.

Do a search for Ford Ranger Timing Belt Video and you should find a number of videos on the repair.

ANother thing I would check into is replacing the power steering hoses.

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempfixit (Post 1972575)
Not that hard just takes time and common sense. Go to www.autozone.com and register for th repair guide, it is free.

I would consider installing new water pump at the same time, since you have all the work done to access it and later failure of old pump would contaminated the new belt.

Do a search for Ford Ranger Timing Belt Video and you should find a number of videos on the repair.

ANother thing I would check into is replacing the power steering hoses.

Yeah the most important thing it sounds like is to make sure everything is lined up. TDC.

White Lighting 04-02-2012 03:20 PM

[QUOTE=tempfixit;1972468]That explains the no run situation but what about the power steering leak.

My power steering throws a bit of fluid when turn the steering wheel without the engine running, or when i bump start it.

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 05:09 PM

I'm almost there, if my belt was broken do I still Ned to get TDC before removing the belt.? And I can turn the crankpully by hand to get the notch to tc counterclock wise.

tempfixit 04-02-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972713)
I'm almost there, if my belt was broken do I still Ned to get TDC before removing the belt.? And I can turn the crankpully by hand to get the notch to tc counterclock wise.

If the belt was broken your camshaft will need to be set to the marks and No 1 clyinder can be set to TDC anytime before the new be,t is installed.

The reason for setting no1 at TDC right away is if the belt is being replaced and not broken everything should be lined up when removing the old belt and new one should go back on the same.

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 08:21 PM

Can't get the marks lined up when I loosen the tensioner the pullies jump. How important is the oil pump pulling marks?

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 08:24 PM

Looks the top pully is off a half a tooth.

tempfixit 04-02-2012 10:02 PM

Install the belt with the tensioner loose and everything is line up set the tensioner and see what happens.

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 10:44 PM

Wooo Hoooo! All done finally, new timing belt installed all timing marks lined up, also new water pump and tension pully instaled. Truck sounds and feels so much better than it did even before the belt snapped.

tempfixit 04-02-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97RANGE23 (Post 1972851)
Wooo Hoooo! All done finally, new timing belt installed all timing marks lined up, also new water pump and tension pully instaled. Truck sounds and feels so much better than it did even before the belt snapped.

Congratulations, isn't it a good feeling when a plan comes togther.

Good job

97RANGE23 04-02-2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempfixit (Post 1972861)
Congratulations, isn't it a good feeling when a plan comes togther.

Good job

Thanks man, yeah next time it will take me half the time. Glad to have my truck back.

pcollins 04-04-2012 02:38 PM

Just be glad the 4 cylinders aren't interference motors ;) Nice to hear you got it running though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 AM.