Best SAS for a DD - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Solid Axle Swaps General discussion of solid axle swaps for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Best SAS for a DD

I am sure this question has been asked/already answered before but I searched around with no good results so here it is again:
I was watching Powerblock TV and they did a SAS on a 1994 Blazer. They said the benefits are great, such as an obviously stronger front end and never having to replace ball joints I was an instant fan. Iv still got 55,000 miles worth of warranty so this will be a "Get the parts now and do it later" type thing. My real question is: what is the best cost effective axel to get. I dont plan on taking it out ramping ditches or climbing rocks every weekend. I just want a little extra stoutness if I decide to do the occasional mudding. But the real reason is so I dont have to replace ball joints every year due to my oversize wheels and tires.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
2.5 tons for sure...

08 rangerdan did this I think. plenty of info in his build thread.

Last edited by bigandrw; 07-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
If I were going to SAS a truck that also was my DD, I'd just do a leaf sprung D30 up front and keep your 8.8 out back. Put some 33's under it and call it a day.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
For a Ranger DD with a SAS, a D30. Although, I'd argue that the benefits they talk about on PowerBlock don't really work with a Ranger, because it's a light duty truck.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
D30. I have an 04 Ranger with 35s and have never replaced ball joints. I replaced my first wheel bearing hub about 5 years of 35s.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Im new to this SAS stuff lol. What vehicles came with a Dana 30?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2011
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by theelcaminoman View Post
Im new to this SAS stuff lol. What vehicles came with a Dana 30?
You want a 97-99 Jeep Cherokee D30. Coilover, strongest U-joints, no vacuum assist hubs. For the cheapest, you can get a leaf sprung Jeep wrangler YJ D30.


But seriously, read this forum. You have NO ability for a SAS until you know the answers to your own questions. You can ask us all day but the answers are below in other threads, read read read if you're interested.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
You want a 97-99 Jeep Cherokee D30. Coilover, strongest U-joints, no vacuum assist hubs. For the cheapest, you can get a leaf sprung Jeep wrangler YJ D30.


But seriously, read this forum. You have NO ability for a SAS until you know the answers to your own questions. You can ask us all day but the answers are below in other threads, read read read if you're interested.
Aaron said it all. When your studying different Sas threads, don't just stick to this forum. check out some explorers, s10s broncos etc. The solid axle swap section we have here has plenty of info, and if you need a specific question pm the person who's rig your reading up on.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2011
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
D30. I have an 04 Ranger with 35s and have never replaced ball joints. I replaced my first wheel bearing hub about 5 years of 35s.
When the hell did you do an SAS? Apparently I don't read the forums enough.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
I usually read around but I just needed a starting point. After watching Powerblock, it seemed pretty strait forward. And knowing the Ranger has the perfect T-case means I know I wont have to spend a couple extra 100s getting a different T-case. When I really need to go in depth on installation, Im sure Ill spend a few hours on here reading around on different SASs
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-18-2011
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
rooks, you changed profile name. I was saying that I have balljoints with 35s, never said I installed a D30 lol.

And JP, TV makes the swaps look easy because they don't add everything you need to know. A manual tcase is the best tcase but the auto works. And you read more than a few hours.


Just some of the things to learn, pitman arm, creating your own steering linkage. What steering box to use from what vehicle. Do you realize you dont just bolt up the axle? It has an angle that it leans forwards or backwards(obviously a tiny degree). There's a lot to it, it isn't too straight forward unfortunately cause powerblock removes all the hard parts from your view
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
No that cash youd spend on a t case will be used on a custom drive shaft
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger View Post
rooks, you changed profile name. I was saying that I have balljoints with 35s, never said I installed a D30 lol.

And JP, TV makes the swaps look easy because they don't add everything you need to know. A manual tcase is the best tcase but the auto works. And you read more than a few hours.


Just some of the things to learn, pitman arm, creating your own steering linkage. What steering box to use from what vehicle. Do you realize you dont just bolt up the axle? It has an angle that it leans forwards or backwards(obviously a tiny degree). There's a lot to it, it isn't too straight forward unfortunately cause powerblock removes all the hard parts from your view
Lol they also speed the process up quite abit. If you rush it will take you about 3-4 days with a buddy. Especially since its your first time. It takes weeks/ months to know what you are going to do, all the parts you need ect. Reading is your friend.


Rooks you did change your name didn't you lol.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
They said most everything needed to be done. I kept the episode. Ill rewatch it tonight and tell you guys what they said and you tell me what they left out. This is definitly something I wanna do lol. They said itll ride rougher and be more dependable. Yes and yes please!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
Leafs will be rough. Coils will be a little better, coilovers will be a whole lot better.you can also use a good set of triple bypass shocks, but if your on a budget I wouldn't suggest buying them new.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2011
rangerpat's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: pointe-calumet,qc
Posts: 40
what you guy's think about jeep rubicon 2007 d44 front and rear axles on a 08 fx4 whit 72000 km,they are complet whit the lockers for 3000 $
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Can I reuse the coils that are on my truck or will I have to buy news one
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-18-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
Isn't yours a 4x4?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-2011
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigandrw View Post
Isn't yours a 4x4?
x2. If you have a 4x4, you don't have coils. You have a Torsion Bar Setup.

And yes, I did change my Profile name. Got tired of the SniperX103. I used it all the time playing games back in college. I don't play hardly any games anymore so figured I'd change it up a bit.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-18-2011
theelcaminoman's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Olney, IL
Posts: 514
Yea iv got torsion bars. I'm stupid lol. And I'm with ya with the name change. I used to use haloplayerjp for everything but halos old school now
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-19-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
So many differences between a blazer and modern ranger. Its not even a comparison. So whatever you saw, heard or read on TV isnt going to help you much so you might as well forget it.

Ive redone my truck 3-4 times. All changing and improving things. Its not a simple swap, its not something you should plan on DDing unless you are talented and know what you are doing. I have made plenty of mistakes and also DD'd my ranger for many years with a SAS. Its a good time and fun but it takes a lot of patience and time to complete such a task. Money is another thing.

You need to learn the risks of what you are trying to tackle, its not impossible but it also requires a ton of work, math and reading on your part. Trial and error. Etc.

So many people start such projects and end up never finishing it, never getting to their goal, they run out of money, interest change, or get completely lost in what they are doing.

Rangers are rack and pinion steering, so you cant run any of the steering components. You have to buy a toyota steering box and build your own intermediate shaft.

Dana 30s are weak and yes despite what Powerblock says they have balljoints and they do wear out. Just as fast as an IFS truck too. I had a D30, replaced the balljoints 1-2 times, I also had a D44 and replaced the balljoints 6-8 times easily within a year or two. The only way to rid of balljoints is to run a Kingpin 60 or buy 2.5 tons.

It all cost money to play, so no matter what you run it will break, it will fail and you will need to continually work on it.

btw I have made many parts for several guys on here and other forums, ive answered a million texts, drove to other states to help members, completed a SAS in less than 4 days, etc. Im not bragging but I am just stating some of the facts and points you need to realize before you torch the frame off.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-19-2011
Rooks's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,867
C'mon beard! That's the fun part. Watching people cut apart their truck only to realize they don't have know how to get it done. Haha....

But seriously OP, just take your time and do your homework. You've started a thread about every major project you can do to a Ranger, and trust me, I know where your coming from. Realistically though, don't start taking anything apart or off the truck until you understand what your goal is and a least a rough outline of how your getting there.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-19-2011
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooks View Post
C'mon beard! That's the fun part. Watching people cut apart their truck only to realize they don't have know how to get it done. Haha....
I know! I love seeing it, just wish I could afford or had the time to buy the half done projects, finish them and sell.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-19-2011
bigandrw's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
I know! I love seeing it, just wish I could afford or had the time to buy the half done projects, finish them and sell.
Haha if you wouldn't have bought that daily driver you probably could
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-19-2011
98liftedranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: California
Posts: 12,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
So many differences between a blazer and modern ranger. Its not even a comparison. So whatever you saw, heard or read on TV isnt going to help you much so you might as well forget it.

Ive redone my truck 3-4 times. All changing and improving things. Its not a simple swap, its not something you should plan on DDing unless you are talented and know what you are doing. I have made plenty of mistakes and also DD'd my ranger for many years with a SAS. Its a good time and fun but it takes a lot of patience and time to complete such a task. Money is another thing.

You need to learn the risks of what you are trying to tackle, its not impossible but it also requires a ton of work, math and reading on your part. Trial and error. Etc.

So many people start such projects and end up never finishing it, never getting to their goal, they run out of money, interest change, or get completely lost in what they are doing.

Rangers are rack and pinion steering, so you cant run any of the steering components. You have to buy a toyota steering box and build your own intermediate shaft.

Dana 30s are weak and yes despite what Powerblock says they have balljoints and they do wear out. Just as fast as an IFS truck too. I had a D30, replaced the balljoints 1-2 times, I also had a D44 and replaced the balljoints 6-8 times easily within a year or two. The only way to rid of balljoints is to run a Kingpin 60 or buy 2.5 tons.

It all cost money to play, so no matter what you run it will break, it will fail and you will need to continually work on it.

btw I have made many parts for several guys on here and other forums, ive answered a million texts, drove to other states to help members, completed a SAS in less than 4 days, etc. Im not bragging but I am just stating some of the facts and points you need to realize before you torch the frame off.
Pretty sure you have earned the right to brag. lol
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best axles to use for an SAS on an 89 Ranger? redneckranger89 Drivetrain Tech 4 10-27-2012 08:22 PM
Best On/Off road rear suspension lift help SAS blue_oval Suspension Tech 16 06-15-2011 07:05 PM
Best axle for a SAS? APell14 Solid Axle Swaps 7 03-20-2011 04:07 PM
Best SAS ever!!! Redneckstone General Ford Ranger Discussion 40 07-08-2008 11:35 AM
SAS: affordable? loneFX4 General Technical & Electrical 22 01-31-2005 10:16 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.