Am I blind or do I have torsions I cant see - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-17-2008
MURFS66's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 89
Am I blind or do I have torsions I cant see

I have a 93 ford ranger that I just picked up for a great price. 4x4 5 speed. I looked under the truck this past weekend and i dont see any torsion bars under there. Are they there or did I not see them? How do I lift this truck up?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-17-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
You have a different kind of suspension, your is called TTB(twin traction beams). Ford changing to the torsion bar in 98.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2008
Rolldogg's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 3,424
Just out of curiosity, how is that suspension system? I noticed that change as well in my Haynes book. It looks like a simple suspension system, but I guess there are more moving parts then that of a torsion style setup.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-17-2008
MURFS66's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 89
So how do I lift the truck on the cheap? coil spacers?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-17-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Check summitracing.com, Skyjacker makes a good lift kit, the good thing about lifting TTB trucks is that its really cheap compared to the torsion bar suspensions.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-17-2008
Shaklakan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Habra CA
Posts: 1,100
yah either skyjacker or pro comp right now im running a pro comp lift with 2 " coil spacers with some bilstein reservoir shocks i was able to get my hands on. But no the TTB systems are really reliable offroad i love it! My ranger is one year older than yours. I have a 92 with the different body style but the suspension is the same.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-17-2008
MURFS66's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 89
Thanks.... I guess since I only paid $1350 for the truck I can afford a lift.

great deal/steal
1993
4x4
extra cab
I think a 4.0, havent got into that yet.
Needs a clutch I think.
Body is in great shape with no dents or paint issues. Original paint.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-17-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolldogg View Post
Just out of curiosity, how is that suspension system? I noticed that change as well in my Haynes book. It looks like a simple suspension system, but I guess there are more moving parts then that of a torsion style setup.
there is less complications to the TTB than the SLA ('98+ Rangers).....

As far as SUSPENSION lift kits, here is a list in order of best to worst:
- James Duff ( www.jamesduff.com )
- Skyjacker ( www.skyjacker.com )
- Superlift (www.superlift.com )
- Trailmaster ( www.trailmastersuspension.com )
- Rough Country ( www.roughcountry.com )
- Tuff Country ( www.tuffcountry.com )

I recommend the top 3 all the time; remember, you get what you pay for.

Skyjacker makes a 8" lift kit for the TTB's, but they are really hard to get the alignment correct on them. I don't recommend the 8" kit for that and other reasons.

If you have a 4.0 supercab, you can run 8" lift coils from Skyjacker with the 6" drop brackets. The extra weight of the supercab and 4.0 allow this.



Here is where I also recommend getting lift kits from. I have personally purchased kits from both of them in the past with great luck and good prices:
- http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/fd4_Rgr83_97.htm
- www.ntwonline.com (they usually have a 6" suspension special for TTB Rangers for $460 w/ everything needed; it is usually a Superlift kit)



I also recommend some extra parts when doing any lift kit to a TTB Ranger. Those parts will help extensively with steering and ride. The extra parts are costly, but are worth every penny. I personally have installed/used each of these parts:
- Superlift Superunner Steering setup (~$480) ( http://www.superlift.com/accessories/superunner.asp )
- Skyjacker lifted leafs (anywhere from $175-$225 each spring)


You can also get a Performance Accessories body lift for roughly $200. You can get anywhere from 2"-3" of lift in a body lift kit. They are nice, reliable, and an easy/cheap way to lift a truck up to 3". Both kits listed below come with everything you need (minus the transmission shifter extention which is listed seperately) to lift the truck 3"; the bumper brackets are included.
2" - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
3" - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Shift Ext. - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku


As far as wheels and tires go, it all depends on the lift you decide to get. If you get a 4" lift, I personally think 32x11.50x15 tires look good. I don't like too much tire with a lift. I like having room to flex.

4" Suspension lift = 32" tires
6" Suspension lift = 33" tires

4" Suspension + 3" Body lift = 33" or 34" tires
6" Suspension + 3" Body lift = 35" tires



Here is some pictures for you to compare too:

6" Suspension lift w/ 33x12.50x15 tires on 15x8 wheels:




6" Suspension + 3" Body lift w/ 35x12.50x15 tires on 15x10 wheels:


Last edited by lifted97ranger; 03-17-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-17-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaklakan View Post
yah either skyjacker or pro comp right now im running a pro comp lift with 2 " coil spacers with some bilstein reservoir shocks i was able to get my hands on. But no the TTB systems are really reliable offroad i love it! My ranger is one year older than yours. I have a 92 with the different body style but the suspension is the same.
Pro Comp doesn't make lift kits for the TTB (4wd), they do for the TIB (2wd) Rangers...
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-17-2008
MURFS66's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 89
Thanks for the information guys. I like the lift prices for these trucks. I think I'm only going with a 4" for now at most. Its a work truck and I have to lean over to get in the back for stuff and I want to get decent gas milage as well.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-17-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Maurices post should be stickied, 4" should be perfect for you David!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-17-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04blackedge View Post
Maurices post should be stickied, 4" should be perfect for you David!
https://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2...754#post904754

how about that
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Looks great to me, I even learned something from it!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-17-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
good!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-17-2008
MURFS66's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 89
Man,,,,,,, you guys are great. What a great site hear and plenty of help. I got all I asked for and then some. I'm starting on this project in a few weeks, so I'll keep you posted on how things go. I have a list of to do's for this ranger. I have to admit ford does make a tuff truck. I have always had ford trucks. This is my first ranger.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-17-2008
k.blakeley's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,823
Damn Maurice, Why did you sell your truck? It was soooooo pretty.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-17-2008
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
time to move on man.......there wasn't much i could do to my truck anymore....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-17-2008
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
after taking my front end apart i would recommend pulling it apart and seeing if it needs wheel bearings, spindle needle bearing and u-joints on the axles.. all of mine are wasted and i have 130k i bet its all original too
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-17-2008
Downey's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Muncy, PA
Posts: 8,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger View Post
there is less complications to the TTB than the SLA ('98+ Rangers).....

As far as SUSPENSION lift kits, here is a list in order of best to worst:
- James Duff ( www.jamesduff.com )
- Skyjacker ( www.skyjacker.com )
- Superlift (www.superlift.com )
- Trailmaster ( www.trailmastersuspension.com )
- Rough Country ( www.roughcountry.com )
- Tuff Country ( www.tuffcountry.com )

I recommend the top 3 all the time; remember, you get what you pay for.

Skyjacker makes a 8" lift kit for the TTB's, but they are really hard to get the alignment correct on them. I don't recommend the 8" kit for that and other reasons.

If you have a 4.0 supercab, you can run 8" lift coils from Skyjacker with the 6" drop brackets. The extra weight of the supercab and 4.0 allow this.



Here is where I also recommend getting lift kits from. I have personally purchased kits from both of them in the past with great luck and good prices:
- http://www.rockymountainsusp.com/fd4_Rgr83_97.htm
- www.ntwonline.com (they usually have a 6" suspension special for TTB Rangers for $460 w/ everything needed; it is usually a Superlift kit)



I also recommend some extra parts when doing any lift kit to a TTB Ranger. Those parts will help extensively with steering and ride. The extra parts are costly, but are worth every penny. I personally have installed/used each of these parts:
- Superlift Superunner Steering setup (~$480) ( http://www.superlift.com/accessories/superunner.asp )
- Skyjacker lifted leafs (anywhere from $175-$225 each spring)


You can also get a Performance Accessories body lift for roughly $200. You can get anywhere from 2"-3" of lift in a body lift kit. They are nice, reliable, and an easy/cheap way to lift a truck up to 3". Both kits listed below come with everything you need (minus the transmission shifter extention which is listed seperately) to lift the truck 3"; the bumper brackets are included.
2" - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
3" - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Shift Ext. - http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku


As far as wheels and tires go, it all depends on the lift you decide to get. If you get a 4" lift, I personally think 32x11.50x15 tires look good. I don't like too much tire with a lift. I like having room to flex.

4" Suspension lift = 32" tires
6" Suspension lift = 33" tires

4" Suspension + 3" Body lift = 33" or 34" tires
6" Suspension + 3" Body lift = 35" tires



Here is some pictures for you to compare too:

6" Suspension lift w/ 33x12.50x15 tires on 15x8 wheels:




6" Suspension + 3" Body lift w/ 35x12.50x15 tires on 15x10 wheels:



im so sad to see that truck gone i wish i could of bought it thats what my truck will look like someday
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-15-2008
dangerranger93's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 468
me too
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-15-2008
rangerboy101's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Winchester, Va
Posts: 8,187
so you open up a 7 month old thread and all you say is "me too" lol
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-15-2008
dangerranger93's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NOVA
Posts: 468
haha my bad i liked all the info so i said someting so i could track it lol
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-15-2008
Sea-Bass's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,059
1993 4x4 w/ 5.5" superlift and 3" body lift...hells ya!!!!!





Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-16-2008
Shaklakan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La Habra CA
Posts: 1,100
Lol i remember my post in this thread. Back when i didn't know much about suspensions lol.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help decoding what Torsions and rear suspension i Have 03rangerSonicblue Suspension Tech 4 06-20-2011 07:50 PM
99 4x4, torsions,shackles, WUT SHOCKS!?!?!? AndyRanger1 Suspension Tech 15 02-17-2008 07:48 PM
i must be blind (4.6 swap info) tire 8-Cylinder Tech 8 01-31-2007 05:40 PM
i tightened my torsions bar exjnv Suspension Tech 26 11-01-2004 01:50 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.