Camburg vs All Spindle Lifts --- How is it on road ??? - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-09-2006
TommyC's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
Camburg vs All Spindle Lifts --- How is it on road ???

I see a lift in my future.... but I'm curious. I have read plenty of posts about how superior camburg is in quality and offroad capabilities. I have also read how camburg makes your truck an extremely rough ride.

So: How would other spindle lifts (doetsch, fabtech, etc.) compare in day to day driving of a camburg lift?

I am also curious if the t-bar crank camburg does is the result of the extremely rough ride, and had there been no t-bar crank it would be as rough/smooth as the other spindle lifts.

I'm torn between two dilemnas:
1) I want to get the best, I don't want to worry about **** breaking and the desert seen looks awesome.
2) This is my daily driver.... if another spindle lift is that much smoother it may be better to go for that.

My current camburg lift plans would be something such as:
Step 1: Camburg Spindle lift (entry kit) & 33" BFG AT Tires
Step 2: T-Bar Crank & Deaver Springs

I know camburg is superior offroad, and I know it costs more than the other spindle lifts... I am not questioning either of those two facts.

So: How would other spindle lifts (doetsch, fabtech, etc.) compare in day to day driving of a camburg lift?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-09-2006
Joush's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marshalls Creek, PA
Posts: 503
i havent heard of anyone breaking camburg spindles
if that does anything for you
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-09-2006
0sixsport's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 860
I've had lifts on some of my past trucks and to me a spindle lift is a spindle lift. If it were me I would go for Fabtech or Doestch spindles because of the price. The Camburg kits are much better built quality wise, but the amount of travel and performance you are going to get out of a spindle lift is not going to compare to long travel. All three of those spindles add about 3 inches ground clearance and all three of them utilize torsion bars to get that extra 1-2 inches of lift. Cranking the torsion bars in return is going to make the ride rougher despite what brand you use. I was going to put some lift spindles on my truck but now I am going to wait and save for long travel. That way by the time my warranty is up I will have enough money and it won't void my drivetrain.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-09-2006
gatorblue92's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Delaware
Posts: 8,238
with fabtech or doetsch/procomp you will have a stock quality ride since all you are doing is moving the wheel farther down the spindle
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2006
rolla_guy72's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Posts: 3,256
PM DrivAPrerunner, Trent, and talk to him about it, he had the kit and has now upgraded to a Camburg long-travel kit.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC
So: How would other spindle lifts (doetsch, fabtech, etc.) compare in day to day driving of a camburg lift?
Two words: they don't. You're going to be stiffer no matter what it is. Even not cranking the bars, by adding a spindle and changing stock geometry you will have a stiffer ride, hands down. So spring for quality and don't regret getting a lift kit, get an offroad performance kit if you use your truck and be done with it, it's worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC
1) I want to get the best, I don't want to worry about **** breaking and the desert seen looks awesome.
Then Camburg has your answer, you certainly won't find it with Fabtech/Doetsch/Bullseye/ProComp, etc. I've had all of those spindles, they can't hold a match.

Fabtech/Pro-Comp (same as Bullseye or Doetsch)



I have more with my newer truck but I can't find the cd with the pictures on it.

Camburg Edge 6.0 Kit (Have video as well, just need to find the cd again)



Camburg Edge Long-Travel, Race Package








Last edited by DrivAPrerunner; 10-09-2006 at 10:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
Here are a couple clips (quality sucks) with the 6.0 on, screwing around at the local dunes.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...gAnch=imgAnch1

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v411/Splitfire/CBTF%20Edge/?action=view&current=PismoMarch2006008.flv&refPage =&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Another good reason to go with the 'burg is you are right there, it's so easy! Plus, if you let me know ahead of time as soon as you're ready to buy, I'll call in before you and get you a discount, you can't lose with that kind of deal: quality parts at a good price.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2006
mx98ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: GA
Posts: 1,493
^^^ im extremely jealous
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2006
Joush's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marshalls Creek, PA
Posts: 503
dont forget that the camburg kit uses uniballs, is more boxed than fabtech/procomp/doetsch spindle, and comes with new upper a-arm.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-10-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
You get what you pay for (90% of the time, haha).
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-10-2006
Joush's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Marshalls Creek, PA
Posts: 503
^ so true. thats why i cant wait to get mine still cant decide between single or double.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-10-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
Double.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-10-2006
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
i just got the double shock 6.0 and i love it. I had the fabtech spindles and oyu have to deal with steering stops and potentially hitting your brake calipers, losing break bla bla bla

the cambug spindle is superior hands down, gets rid of your upper ball joint and is an all around good kit
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-11-2006
TommyC's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
As my original post said, I know camburg is more expensive and I know that camburg is superior off road. That is not of my concern at the moment, there are tons of information regarding lift pricing and offroad quality... can't find much about camburg on the road however.

Will this informatin alone make my decision? No. Do I want to spend $2,000 on something I don't know the full effects of? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyEDGE
dont forget that the camburg kit uses uniballs, is more boxed than fabtech/procomp/doetsch spindle, and comes with new upper a-arm.
Thanks for the info, that's the reason I am curious about Camburg vs. other spindle lifts, since camburg does their lift a little different... I would imagine the ride quality would be different too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorblue92
with fabtech or doetsch/procomp you will have a stock quality ride since all you are doing is moving the wheel farther down the spindle
So basically the "normal" spindle lifts have a stock quality ride and the camburg spindle lift will be rougher?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-11-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
Show me one guy that retains the stock quality ride with lift spindles, it doesn't happen.

It's not that hard to pick up the phone, or better yet since you are in O.C., go to the shop for proof of why you should spend the money, it's not difficult. You can't compare the two, there is no valid argument here because they aren't in the same field of comparison. One is strictly for looks and no function, while one is for performance, you're mind should be made up right there if you know what you want to do with the truck. Do you use it or do you want a street looker. You say you want to get into the 'desert scene' (hate when it's referred to like that, there's a lot of guys out there that just think because a front end is higher or they have glass they are 'prerunners') and offroad but then contradict yourself saying that it's none of your concern at the moment. Pick a claim, stick with it, research it, and come to a conclusion.

714-848-8880, call them and talk to them. There is no better information you can get than from the source, simple as that.

Last edited by DrivAPrerunner; 10-11-2006 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-11-2006
RazorsEDGE's Avatar
There's no lifeguard in the gene pool
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 7,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivAPrerunner
Show me one guy that retains the stock quality ride with lift spindles, it doesn't happen. .
My ride quality didnt change with spindles alone, however once I added shocks and a t-bar crank it got rougher.

I totally agree that camburg is superior but why spend $2000 on something your not going to use. For someone who drives mostly on pavement Camburg is not the way to go.

Day to day driving Fabtech or Procomp for sure. But if your serious about jumping your truck or getting into desert racing then hands down its camburg.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-11-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
With the exception of desert alliance (and I keep that in lower case for a reason), the 'desert' scene isn't just about jumping your truck, and just because you buy a kit doesn't mean you're starting to race. He says in his first post he wants to offroad, then posts later he doesn't care, basically, about the performance; the story needs to get straightened out, then we can all go from there. We can't help someone that isn't trying to help themselves make the decision. It's not about what we want him to get, it's about how he uses his vehicle. Like it's been said, I won't recommend an expensive kit for a truck that never gets used, it's a waste of a good kit that can be put to use by someone who needs it, but on the other hand I won't tell anyone to get a super sick spindle lift and go 'jump' or 'race' it and go through the whoops at 70.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-11-2006
TommyC's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivAPrerunner
He says in his first post he wants to offroad, then posts later he doesn't care, basically, about the performance; the story needs to get straightened out, then we can all go from there.
You mis-understood my "I know that camburg is superior off road. That is not of my concern at the moment" line.

What I meant was that Camburg is superior off road, I agree and as does most, and since it's basically well known that camburg is superior off road, that is not what i am curious/interested/wondering/asking about.



Quote:
We can't help someone that isn't trying to help themselves make the decision. It's not about what we want him to get, it's about how he uses his vehicle. Like it's been said, I won't recommend an expensive kit for a truck that never gets used, it's a waste of a good kit that can be put to use by someone who needs it
Uhh I dont see what your saying about not trying to help make a decision for myself.....

Yes, I know Camburg costs more than Fabtech or the likes, that is also not what I am curious/interested/wondering/asking about. I do however appreciate concerns of me wasting money. But I am looking at it from my perspective of the cost/benefit ratio.

And as you said I need to "research it" that is exactly why I created this thread; I couldn't find much information about how camburg drives on the road. If I had a trail rig it would 100% be a camburg lift no doubt. But this is my daily driver that sees more highway than dirt. Thus I am curious/interested/wondering/asking how a camburg lift compares to the other spindle lifts on the road.

Last edited by TommyC; 10-11-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-11-2006
DrivAPrerunner's Avatar
MrFantastic's alter ego
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Luis Obispo/Riverside, CA
Posts: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC
1) I want to get the best, I don't want to worry about **** breaking and the desert seen looks awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC
As my original post said, I know camburg is more expensive and I know that camburg is superior off road. That is not of my concern at the moment . . .
Why don't you call or go in? You're closer than I am when I'm at home. My truck drives %90 street as well, it's not a big deal for a 'stiff' ride, you get used to it and some, like me, actually prefer it. You're going to have to give up something to get something. Fabtech/Pro-Comp is for pure street, and I'll never run those companies again after experiencing the lack of quality that is put into them.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-11-2006
Alon's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 2,555
go with camburg.

its a quality kit for on road of off...doesnt matter, its still a superior product to the other cast spindle lifts.

my truck rides great on the road, i even took off the sway bar and its riding great... no complaints
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camburg '01 EDGE Spindle Lift Available fx4wannabe Suspension Tech 13 07-01-2010 08:50 PM
spindle lifts vs body lift 01b3000 New Ideas 0 07-20-2009 10:54 PM
Guys with BL and spindle/susp. lifts w/ 35"s blkb3 General Ford Ranger Discussion 20 03-09-2008 03:23 AM
Who knows Jerry at Camburg or who lives close to Camburg Engineering zabeard General Ford Ranger Discussion 21 03-06-2008 06:22 AM
Spindle Lifts. shwranger General Technical & Electrical 2 10-12-2004 05:51 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.