RCD Lift help - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 10-02-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
RCD Lift help

Hi Folks,

Been searching the forums for a while and I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a few issues ATM.

1. Currently have the RCD lift on my 99 B3000. Looking to purchase a 2011 low milage ranger soon as my milage is getting up there. What issues would I need to address if I wanted to swap the lift over to the newer vehicle? I know the rotor would need to be replaced and possibly calipers, but is there any other changes in the suspension that would make this an issue?

2. Swaybar end links are shot. Suggestions on replacements?

3. Both rear shocks have dumped all their oil. Suggestions on replacements?

Thanks in advance,
Brandan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-02-2016
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
The lift should fit fine since the suspension didn't really change much between 1998 and 2011.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-02-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
The lift should fit fine since the suspension didn't really change much between 1998 and 2011.
Thanks Fordzilla80. Do you know regarding the rotors, if I just have to purchase the older style rotors and the calipers will work or do I need new calipers and rotors. Also, could I just put the 2011 parts on the 99? T-bars, knuckles, rotors etc...? MY old parts have been sitting in a plastic crate since 2008.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-02-2016
jimmyspy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
The lift should fit fine since the suspension didn't really change much between 1998 and 2011.
Everything will fit, but would he run into issues with the traction/stability control bullshit? I know there was talk of issues with spindle lifts on 2010/2011 trucks because of that, but I don't know if that's due to the nature of the spindle lift or the traction control system.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-02-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyspy View Post
Everything will fit, but would he run into issues with the traction/stability control bullshit? I know there was talk of issues with spindle lifts on 2010/2011 trucks because of that, but I don't know if that's due to the nature of the spindle lift or the traction control system.
Thanks jimmyspy, I didn't know they added traction control and stability. Does it run off the ABS? If so, the ABS system should stay intact right, since the hub contains the ABS wheel and the hub stays the same, just bolts to the knuckle?

Or does the RCD knuckle not have the hole for the ABS sensor?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-04-2016
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
I don't think the traction control will cause any issues, I've seen a few 2010-2011 Rangers running Superlifts without issue. Same goes for 2010-2011 2wds and spindle lifts.

I'm not entirely familiar with the RCD kits and whether or not there is a different kit for the 2003+ Rangers with the larger rotors. I've heard talk of running a smaller rotor, but I couldn't tell you for sure if that's what you need to do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-04-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
I don't think the traction control will cause any issues, I've seen a few 2010-2011 Rangers running Superlifts without issue. Same goes for 2010-2011 2wds and spindle lifts.

I'm not entirely familiar with the RCD kits and whether or not there is a different kit for the 2003+ Rangers with the larger rotors. I've heard talk of running a smaller rotor, but I couldn't tell you for sure if that's what you need to do.
The issue with the rotor would be based on a different mounting location on the knuckle for the caliper correct? In theory, I could put the newer knuckle, rotor and caliper on the 99 then move over the rotor and caliper from the 99 to the 11 and I should be fine right? Sounds like I need to do some more research.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-05-2016
jimmyspy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
I don't think the traction control will cause any issues, I've seen a few 2010-2011 Rangers running Superlifts without issue. Same goes for 2010-2011 2wds and spindle lifts.
Ah, that simplifies things.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-05-2016
jimmyspy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandan78 View Post
The issue with the rotor would be based on a different mounting location on the knuckle for the caliper correct? In theory, I could put the newer knuckle, rotor and caliper on the 99 then move over the rotor and caliper from the 99 to the 11 and I should be fine right? Sounds like I need to do some more research.
I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-05-2016
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,814
You dont need a different caliper. Im actually running the smaller rotor on mine because of the wheels right now.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-05-2016
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
You dont need a different caliper. Im actually running the smaller rotor on mine because of the wheels right now.
So does that mean the only difference is just a smaller rotor and that the caliper bracket isn't different between 99 and 2011?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2016
Fordzilla80's Avatar
YZ
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandan78 View Post
The issue with the rotor would be based on a different mounting location on the knuckle for the caliper correct? In theory, I could put the newer knuckle, rotor and caliper on the 99 then move over the rotor and caliper from the 99 to the 11 and I should be fine right? Sounds like I need to do some more research.
Yes, if there is an issue, that would be it.

But what you described should work fine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-06-2016
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 View Post
So does that mean the only difference is just a smaller rotor and that the caliper bracket isn't different between 99 and 2011?
Smaller rotor and the mounting hole location for the caliper bracket are the only differences.

Caliper and caliper bracket are the same.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-06-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
Smaller rotor and the mounting hole location for the caliper bracket are the only differences.

Caliper and caliper bracket are the same.
Thanks vista4.0. So it sounds like as long as the knuckles and everthing attached gets swapped, there should be no problems with what I want to do?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-06-2016
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandan78 View Post
Thanks vista4.0. So it sounds like as long as the knuckles and everthing attached gets swapped, there should be no problems with what I want to do?
Exactly. The knuckle is the key.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-06-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandan78 View Post
Hi Folks,

Been searching the forums for a while and I can't quite find what I'm looking for. I have a few issues ATM.

1. Currently have the RCD lift on my 99 B3000. Looking to purchase a 2011 low milage ranger soon as my milage is getting up there. What issues would I need to address if I wanted to swap the lift over to the newer vehicle? I know the rotor would need to be replaced and possibly calipers, but is there any other changes in the suspension that would make this an issue?

2. Swaybar end links are shot. Suggestions on replacements?

3. Both rear shocks have dumped all their oil. Suggestions on replacements?

Thanks in advance,
Brandan
Awesome guys, thanks for all the answers. Would anyone be able to help me with my other 2 questions? Rear shocks and sway-bar end links?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-2016
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,814
Is this pertaining to the lifted rig?

Swaybar end links you might have to make.

Bilstien is a good replacement shock.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-07-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vista4.0 View Post
Is this pertaining to the lifted rig?

Swaybar end links you might have to make.

Bilstien is a good replacement shock.
Yes vista4.0, I'm asking about the lifted rig. Someone posted a part number in an old thread on another foum for the shock that came with the lift, however, I think that part number was specific to RCD. I tried asking there but i guess that user wasnt active. The closest in length I could find from Bilstein was for a F250. Does it matter that it's for a heavy duty truck like that or is length the only specs that matter?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-07-2016
vista4.0's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Beaver Falls, PA
Posts: 2,814
They might be a little stiffer being valved for a 250 but that should be the only difference.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-08-2016
camodown's Avatar
Lost in Nowhere
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 5,027
Bilstein shocks I have on mine.

F4-BE5-A092-T5
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-08-2016
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Lawai, Hawaii
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by camodown View Post
Bilstein shocks I have on mine.

F4-BE5-A092-T5
Thanks camodown.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
double lift vs. rcd 5.5 inch lift beach ranger Suspension Tech 6 03-14-2010 10:10 PM
5" rcd supension lift bikerman45 Ranger Products, Company, & Member Reviews 31 03-26-2008 08:47 PM
RCD lift or Whipple i_love_paintbal General Ford Ranger Discussion 40 02-02-2006 12:13 PM
35s with the RCD lift Gearhead61 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 41 11-24-2005 06:48 PM
RCD lift and the exhaust JP03RFX4 Suspension Tech 9 08-29-2005 10:07 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:13 AM.