RCD lift questions - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-24-2006
DerangedPony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 351
RCD lift questions

I plan on getting the RCD lift kit for my 03 FX4. I understand that I need the smaller rotors from a 2002 ranger (11.25'') but I was wondering which pads do I buy, the 2003 pads or a 2002 set of pads? Also, where is the cheapest price for the RCD 4wd kit? The best I could find was at TruckAccessories.com. Thanks.

Last edited by DerangedPony; 04-24-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-24-2006
a311fanam's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Westerly, RI
Posts: 2,006
ask Rangerboy03lvl2 he had the rcd
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-24-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
The pads ought to be the same. You should call RCD directly and ask them for the nearest RCD distributor to you. You will more than likely find that it is cheaper to order through a local store than any place online. The cheapest I've seen online is ~2100-2200.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-24-2006
DerangedPony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 351
I called RCD and they told me to go through National Tire and Wheel ($2100 + $75 s/h). As for rotors, I think I'll go with: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
and then the pads:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku (that is if those 2003 pads fit on the 2002 rotors).

Now, just to make sure I dont have Vacuum hubs, my truck has (what I'm 99.9% sure is a electric connection going from the hub, up the frame, to behind the fog light where there is a water proof plug. So, that means I have electric hubs and that it will work with the RCD kit?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-24-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
your 03 has electric hubs. PVH (pulse vacuum hubs) were used on 98-00 4wd rangers. You will not have to have the new knuckles machined for the vacuum lines.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-24-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 3,048
acutally your 03 should be a live axle, and is engaged in the transfer case.

you may also want to check out our website for the brakes, for about the same price we can get you the CRYO treated powerslots and Hawk HPS pads

http://jusnesmodified.com/store/inde...roducts_id=195
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-24-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundPer4mance
acutally your 03 should be a live axle, and is engaged in the transfer case.

you may also want to check out our website for the brakes, for about the same price we can get you the CRYO treated powerslots and Hawk HPS pads

http://jusnesmodified.com/store/inde...roducts_id=195
You're right. It's a live axle. I don't know why I said electric hubs. The transfer case is engaged electrically. Thanks for catching me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-24-2006
DerangedPony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 351
Ok, that wire must be for the ABS.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-24-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 756
pads are the same.. im still runnin the stock set
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedPony
Ok, that wire must be for the ABS.
Yep that wire going from the hub is the ABS sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-25-2006
Red_Ak_Ranger's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 17,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61
Yep that wire going from the hub is the ABS sensor.

Maybe our vehicle speed sensor is in the hub also? My friends is on his car but that probably is a lot different.

Aaron
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-25-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
i think its all the same thing aaron.

i thought the pads were different from 02-03? btw measure your rotors first, you might have the smaller 02 rotors already. some 03s have them
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerangedPony
I called RCD and they told me to go through National Tire and Wheel ($2100 + $75 s/h). As for rotors, I think I'll go with: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
and then the pads:http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku (that is if those 2003 pads fit on the 2002 rotors).

Now, just to make sure I dont have Vacuum hubs, my truck has (what I'm 99.9% sure is a electric connection going from the hub, up the frame, to behind the fog light where there is a water proof plug. So, that means I have electric hubs and that it will work with the RCD kit?
Thats what RCD told me too, I checked out national tire and wheels web site and I didn't see the RCD listed.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-25-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Ak_Ranger
Maybe our vehicle speed sensor is in the hub also? My friends is on his car but that probably is a lot different.

Aaron
its normally on the diff, there is a ring gear in there it measures off of.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-25-2006
DerangedPony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
Thats what RCD told me too, I checked out national tire and wheels web site and I didn't see the RCD listed.
You have to call them, they stock it.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-25-2006
DerangedPony's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Berlin, WI
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big04Ranger
pads are the same.. im still runnin the stock set
Thats what I needed....Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Hey another question

How does the RCD kit lift the rear ? Can you use James duff trac bars in the rear ?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-25-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
it uses a shackle and AAL
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-25-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1
Hey another question

How does the RCD kit lift the rear ? Can you use James duff trac bars in the rear ?
block...recommend using something else. camburg leaf pack with a towing leaf or AAL and shackel, or AAL and block or chevy spring pack, and use you can run james duff bars
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location:
Posts: 3,115
Another question how much useaable travel do you get out of the RCD ?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-25-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
same travel as stock. all it does is moves the bumps stops down along with the LCA for more lift height. you might yeild an inch or something but nothing major.

all this has been discussed before.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-25-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
block...recommend using something else. camburg leaf pack with a towing leaf or AAL and shackel, or AAL and block or chevy spring pack, and use you can run james duff bars
wrong. the other zach got it right. it uses an AAL and a gi-fawking-normous shackle.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-25-2006
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Avon, IN
Posts: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard
same travel as stock. all it does is moves the bumps stops down along with the LCA for more lift height. you might yeild an inch or something but nothing major.

all this has been discussed before.

unless your like me and dont re-install the bumpstop
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-26-2006
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
lol that might cause a problem later on.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-26-2006
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
I think pushing a spring/coilover past its intended range of motion can damage the spring. Take the spring out of a ballpoint pen, and stretch it waay waay out. It doesn't go back the right way, does it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RCD 4wd lift questions. Anyone still running it? Castleguard Suspension Tech 3 05-22-2015 10:58 AM
double lift vs. rcd 5.5 inch lift beach ranger Suspension Tech 6 03-14-2010 11:10 PM
RCD and other questions 99ranger4x4 General Technical & Electrical 77 05-30-2007 08:00 PM
RCD Questions l2en General Technical & Electrical 26 09-25-2006 09:24 AM
RCD questions Ranger1 Suspension Tech 39 12-18-2005 09:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:14 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.