torsion bars... - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Suspension Tech General discussion of suspension for the Ford Ranger.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 04-30-2007
05RangerXLT2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hanson, MA
Posts: 63
i'm going with the body lift and putting 35s on ... i've got the same problem as you dude.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-30-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05RangerXLT2
i'm going with the body lift and putting 35s on ... i've got the same problem as you dude.

finally...someone that agrees that the superlift for our model sucks the big one. it looks nice and all but that kill ground clearance.

im actually thinking of getting a solid axle and putting leaf spring on it for now until i get the money up to do coilovers. opinions anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-30-2007
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow905
finally...someone that agrees that the superlift for our model sucks the big one. it looks nice and all but that kill ground clearance.

im actually thinking of getting a solid axle and putting leaf spring on it for now until i get the money up to do coilovers. opinions anyone?

for that money, you could sell the superlift and buy a RCD lift
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-30-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
well the superlift was only temporary for a few years anyway... i knew this when i got it. because when its NOT my daily driver i am going to throw a solid axle under there and lift it. but i dont want to do that with it as my dd
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-30-2007
05RangerXLT2's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hanson, MA
Posts: 63
exactly what i'm doing too!!!!!!!! as soon as i get another truck, SAS and lifting it to the sky.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-01-2007
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lehi, Utah
Posts: 731
I have no complaints with My Superlift. I didn't build the truck to do any sort of rock crawling, therefore it fits my needs perfect. I haven't so much as touched the underside of the brackets when offroading yet. Even going over high angle and off camber trails I have yet to get caught up.

If you build your truck to do a certain job, using parts and tools made for another purpose, then that really isn't the kits fault.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-01-2007
onebluemcm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 71
Here's just a suggestion - no idea of the feasability of it for where you are. Thinking outside of the box for ya.

Maybe check around for a local speed shop, fab shop, race shop, offroad shop or the like - you never know, you might just find a descent fabricator that would be interested in helping you out to come up with something unique. What would be great is to find a person with a good knowledge of shock and spring applications that are available out there and good, sensible fabrication skills ---- and some general interest in trying something out. The design of the RCD coil over system isn't extremly elaborate and with all the offroad racing and what not that is done, I can't believe that the coil over shock setup they sell with their kit is the only one -at all, ever - that would work. San Antonio - right? I guess Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth aren't exactly close but hey - like I said, just a thought, might check around - never hurts to ask.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-01-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebluemcm
Here's just a suggestion - no idea of the feasability of it for where you are. Thinking outside of the box for ya.

Maybe check around for a local speed shop, fab shop, race shop, offroad shop or the like - you never know, you might just find a descent fabricator that would be interested in helping you out to come up with something unique. What would be great is to find a person with a good knowledge of shock and spring applications that are available out there and good, sensible fabrication skills ---- and some general interest in trying something out. The design of the RCD coil over system isn't extremly elaborate and with all the offroad racing and what not that is done, I can't believe that the coil over shock setup they sell with their kit is the only one -at all, ever - that would work. San Antonio - right? I guess Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth aren't exactly close but hey - like I said, just a thought, might check around - never hurts to ask.


we actually have a number of offroad shops around here. i know one i could go to right now and he would turn my truck into a rock crawling machine if i gave him permission. but i dont do a lot of rock crawling. but that isnt a bad idea. thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-01-2007
onebluemcm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 71
Yeah, a shop like that, after a good look at the situation, might be able to tell you what it would take, in the way of money and time, to put some coil overs in there - a sort of RCD-like custom job. Just have to hope it sparks their interest some too - if they simply have no interest in a project like this - for whatever reason - they might either charge you an arm and a leg, or do crap work. But......it could easily go the other way and they might jump at the idea because it's unique and sometimes these guy really get off on trying new stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-01-2007
gumby's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: indy
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow905
finally...someone that agrees that the superlift for our model sucks the big one. it looks nice and all but that kill ground clearance.
sucks you had to spend the money to find out that your not happy with the performance of your kit

honestly, when lifting a long truck(126" WB is long offroad) ground clearence under the cab, between the wheels, should be a MAJOR concern. the SL kit jus does not address this.
IMO, anyone considering a SL kit for serious offroading should really think about jus saving themselves some money and goin with a BL, 'glass fenders, and as large a tire as they feel comfortable stuffin under there.
the BL will get you as much room as the SL will for tires, small crank on the t-bars, maybe a AAL or shackle, and some 'glass you can fit 35's if you want. same ground clearence under the cab as a similar setup on a SL for less money.


keep the change.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-01-2007
levelIIrdneck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: shelbyville,tn
Posts: 196
Just an idea... you might could make a skid plate that covers the t-bars . But made in a way to where any object would slide instead of catching a sharp point(the t-bars). of course it woul probably be long but would probably protect everything also :). Would that work?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-01-2007
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by levelIIrdneck
Just an idea... you might could make a skid plate that covers the t-bars . But made in a way to where any object would slide instead of catching a sharp point(the t-bars). of course it woul probably be long but would probably protect everything also :). Would that work?
yea but you still lose ground clearance
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-01-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
yea but you still lose ground clearance
maybe not. I have actually thought about that and measured for it. Just make a skid plate going to where the torsion bars go into the bracket and make it flush with the bottom of the bracket. No ground clearance lost. And i would have to be pulling weeds and mud out of those brackets all the time...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-01-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
sucks you had to spend the money to find out that your not happy with the performance of your kit


yea....it looks nice and everything. And really....performance-wise....its great. Jyst the tbar bracket that droop down so far are annoying
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-01-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow905
maybe not. I have actually thought about that and measured for it. Just make a skid plate going to where the torsion bars go into the bracket and make it flush with the bottom of the bracket. No ground clearance lost. And i would have to be pulling weeds and mud out of those brackets all the time...
I think he means that you're not going to gain any clearance by adding a skid plate. It's just one more thing to get hung up on

And unless your skid plate is prefectly tight against the bars and bracketry you're gonna lose 1/8" - 1/2" more clearance with the material of the plate and such. Food for thought.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-01-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
I think he means that you're not going to gain any clearance by adding a skid plate. It's just one more thing to get hung up on

And unless your skid plate is prefectly tight against the bars and bracketry you're gonna lose 1/8" - 1/2" more clearance with the material of the plate and such. Food for thought.

yea i know what your saying.... I would make it the way your thinking though. Instead of bloting it onto the bottom....Bend the end up make it flush with the bracket...

get what im saying??
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-01-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Yep.

And for the record.......*show's off RCD* na na- na- na na

Name:  03_2005003-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  73.0 KB
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-01-2007
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
the only way to get away from dropping the tbars on a lifted ifs suspension is changing to a coilover front end. Hints why Chevy just changed their ways with the new 07.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-01-2007
shadow905's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
iTrader: (10)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boerne, TX
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
Yep.

And for the record.......*show's off RCD* na na- na- na na

Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-05-2007
Buck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en
Yep.

And for the record.......*show's off RCD* na na- na- na na

Hey Travis, did you install your RCD yourself or did you have someone else do it? If you installed it was it very difficult? I know you have to weld some gussets to strengthen the shock towers but aside from that is it pretty straight forward?

sorry for the thread jack!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-05-2007
ScottG's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Hey Travis, did you install your RCD yourself or did you have someone else do it? If you installed it was it very difficult? I know you have to weld some gussets to strengthen the shock towers but aside from that is it pretty straight forward?

sorry for the thread jack!

naw, he bought it that way.

if you search the suspension board, theres more info on installing the RCD lift
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-06-2007
Buck's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
naw, he bought it that way.

if you search the suspension board, theres more info on installing the RCD lift
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-06-2007
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Gumby just installed one, so did ranger. Check them out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Stock 2001 torsion keys and #1 Torsion Bars - MO 01RangerEdge Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 7 01-10-2013 06:01 AM
For Sale: Superlift Shocks, #1 Torsion Bars, 99 Torsion Keys (TX) RangerNVS Suspension, Tires, & Wheels 26 01-22-2010 11:28 AM
Lowering an EDGE. Dealing with Torsion Bars... 2.3RangerT Suspension Tech 41 01-31-2007 03:47 PM
torsion bars BananaEdge Exterior Semi-Tech 11 09-09-2004 08:08 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:38 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.