Automatic Tire Balancing Using Airsoft Pellets - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 03-18-2006
ScottG's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
once again, the physics of how it works is show, and yet you claim it doesnt work, where are your facts, how do you know it doesnt work? have you personally used it? or driven on the road with the vechicle? you seem to be VERY one sided on the issue with your tire shop experience, you dont see me trying to tell you how to cook a hamburger since i manage a resturant


show me the proof that it doesnt work, just like they show the facts that it works


btw-that article just tells us that only a rocketscienctist can balence your tires and that your local tire shop is a bunch of untrained hicks

so once again, wheres the support against this?

Last edited by ScottG; 03-18-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-18-2006
Oasis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 533
mmk... so how about this... they rotate the tire on the rim to where it's pretty close.. then instead of using weights, they use the beads? That sounds good to me...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-18-2006
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
well, physically, time travel has very little to do with physics.
Im not talking physics, I was just getting a point across. I could describe anything and make it sounds like it would work, but it doesnt mean it would.

I just dont understand why all that have posted seem to be doubting my real life experience with this. I am truly trying to save people some money and no one is even slightly considering it.

I guess I really shouldnt care. Not my money being lost.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-18-2006
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3906brad
And if you put one of his tires on a Balancer, it would not come up with a 0.0 reading.

I will bet 1,000 bucks it is a different reading each time on the balancer. ANYTHING inside the tire is not good no matter what it is. Liquid doesnt work nor do beads - large or small.
There is my proof. I am willing to put ONE THOUSAND dollars on the line. I know it wont work because I have seen it.

On a balancer, on a road force balancer and on a high speed balancer. It doesnt work.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-18-2006
Oasis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 533
I don't think anyone has doubted your experience... but no one has been able to come up with a hard core reason why the beads (or whatever) wouldn't work...
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-18-2006
gumby's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: indy
Posts: 1,581
well, your article sounds like its tryin to sell Hunter equipment....and that stupid techs work in tire shops.
i did my time in tire shops and with Hunter equipment. i also did my time in physics class during college. i see that this is a possible way to not spend a day at a tire shop and $$$ on lead weights everytime i go off-roadin. since i can mount and dis-mount my own tires i feel that it is worth a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-18-2006
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
well, your article sounds like its tryin to sell Hunter equipment....
It had info in it that described more than just the spinnign of the tire. I was trying to help people understand there is more to a balanced tire than just the spinning.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-18-2006
ScottG's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3906brad
It had info in it that described more than just the spinnign of the tire. I was trying to help people understand there is more to a balanced tire than just the spinning.

but what tire shops really do that? ive been to many different tire shops and watch them balence a tire, and ive never seen them take the wheel off the balencer and rotate the tire on the rim to match low high spots, and id rather pay 20 bucks for a one time balence then keep going to a tire shop to get it redone
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-18-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3906brad
There is my proof. I am willing to put ONE THOUSAND dollars on the line. I know it wont work because I have seen it.

On a balancer, on a road force balancer and on a high speed balancer. It doesnt work.
Ok I have read about of enough of you bull**** honestly. For one go ahead and give me the $1000.00 and we will end this now. With the polymer plastic that I have in my tires which is called EQUAL from www.imiproducts.com it WILL NOT balance on a tire machine. Reason being is the tire needs to be on the road and driving for it to balance. Check out their website and see for yourself. I have had the product in my 35s for 1500+ miles and there is little vibration, in fact there is less vibration then when the 33s were on my truck after four trips back to the tire shop to get them rebalanced. And about your comment on if it worked then why donít tire stores sell the product. Ask Zach and Evan where we got it bags of it for my truck, the ****ING TIRE STORE where Zach lives.

As far as what you do with your truck Scotty itís totally up to you man. I would recommend the Equal to anyone with oversized tires, as far as the stuff you are looking at I cannot vouch for that. I paid 22.50 for two bags from the TIRE STORE that supposedly you cannot get it from by Zachís house in Indiana.

End *****ing.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-18-2006
Oasis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anaheim Hills, CA
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
but what tire shops really do that? ive been to many different tire shops and watch them balence a tire, and ive never seen them take the wheel off the balencer and rotate the tire on the rim to match low high spots, and id rather pay 20 bucks for a one time balence then keep going to a tire shop to get it redone
Ditto... the one's I've seen get balanced, the guy just puts it on the machine... maybe put on a few weights... then puts it on the vehicle.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-18-2006
ScottG's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Posts: 4,926
bill, the only reason why i doubt the equal because its more of a powder, and being in the lovely ohio, i would assume id get more moisture in my tires and it will effect the performance of the powder and clump it up, unless of course i run nitrogen


but with plastic bbs, it wouldnt be a problem
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-18-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04lvl2
Ok I have read about of enough of you bull**** honestly. For one go ahead and give me the $1000.00 and we will end this now. With the polymer plastic that I have in my tires which is called EQUAL from www.imiproducts.com it WILL NOT balance on a tire machine. Reason being is the tire needs to be on the road and driving for it to balance. Check out their website and see for yourself. I have had the product in my 35s for 1500+ miles and there is little vibration, in fact there is less vibration then when the 33s were on my truck after four trips back to the tire shop to get them rebalanced. And about your comment on if it worked then why donít tire stores sell the product. Ask Zach and Evan where we got it bags of it for my truck, the ****ING TIRE STORE where Zach lives.

As far as what you do with your truck Scotty itís totally up to you man. I would recommend the Equal to anyone with oversized tires, as far as the stuff you are looking at I cannot vouch for that. I paid 22.50 for two bags from the TIRE STORE that supposedly you cannot get it from by Zachís house in Indiana.

End *****ing.
I WILL totaly support bill here i road in his truck for 4 FREAKING hours to ohio we drove all speeds. his truck with body lift, superlift and 35's rides SMOOTHER them my truck with leveling block and balanced Dynamic style both sided weights. my truck IS "perfect" on a balance mechine and vibrates your *** off i was able to type on his laptop doing 90mph on the freeway with no shaking. his truck rides smoother them my truck ever has.....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-18-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Directly from www.imiproducts.com

FAQs

1. How would you describe EQUAL - What is EQUAL?
EQUAL is a dry polymer particle product designed to reduce the vibration level of a loaded pneumatic tire in the dynamic mode.
2. What is Tire Force Variation?
Tire Force variation is the result of tire/wheel, brake drum/rotor inconsistencies along with other rotating axle end components and variables in operating conditions that cause vibrations as the tire contacts the road surface under load.

3. What conditions cause Tire Force Variation?
Anomalies of tire construction, runout, splices as well as varying spring rates around the sidewall. Dimensional non-uniformities of wheels and other components also may contribute significantly to tire force variation.

4. How does EQUAL work?
EQUAL has three effects in reducing tire force variation in the rotating tire/wheel assembly. First, it acts as a tire vibration damper, absorbing the unsteady vibration at all points on the tire circumference. EQUAL also acts as a force reducer in the footprint area, applying a force downward on the tire as it moves through the footprint. Finally, EQUAL performs as a mass balancer by moving into a balanced position within the tire.


5. If water is inside a tire, does it have any effect on EQUAL, and if so, what is the effect?

* EQUAL Tire Performance does NOT ABSORB water in any way.
* Due to the fact that EQUAL is a plastic polymer granule, water or moisture will not change its composition.
* Moisture that accumulates inside the tire will evaporate due to normal driving conditions and therefore is in contact with EQUAL for a very short time.
* EQUAL, when in contact with large amounts of water, (to the point where it is actually floating freely), will do just that, float. This will interfere with the ability of EQUAL to optimize the given tire in the way that the tire dealer or fleet had intended when installing the product. Simply, this means that although EQUAL will never damage the tire in any way, if it is in contact with large amounts of water, it cannot perform its job. Again, it is important to reiterate, that in most cases, moisture will evaporate due to the heat build up in normal driving, and once the moisture has evaporated, EQUAL will perform as it originally did.


6. What are the results when EQUAL is tested on a computer spin balancing machine? Imbalance, because EQUAL only responds to load force/live load. A computer tire balancer cannot simulate load force.

7. Do I use lead weights with EQUAL?
No.

8. Is it necessary to align a truck's tires if they are using EQUAL?
Yes, EQUAL is not a substitute for wheel alignment.

9. Why is Equal more economical than lead weights or what are the advantages over lead weights?
EQUAL works for the life of the truck tire tread as opposed to having the tires rebalanced every 15,000 to 20,000 miles with lead weights.

10. Can you use EQUAL in tube-type tires?
Yes.

11. How do you install EQUAL without an applicator?
The EQUAL Drop In Bag can simply be placed in the tire before mounting.

12. What do you say when a customer wants to know about a tire size not on the application chart?
Call 1-800-233-7086 / IMI offices.

13. Why do I need to use the AirX Filtered Valve Core or valve stem filter extensions?
The AirX Filtered Valve Core and the valve stem filter extensions are designed to ensure that the valve core seats properly when using EQUAL and that dust particles and contaminants do not cause any air loss.

14. Can I use EQUAL with dual air pressure Equalizers?
Yes. It is a must to use the AirX Filtered Valve Core or valve stem filter extensions to keep "Equal" from being drawn out of a tire as turck tire pressure is being equalized between the two tires.

15. Tom has just started using EQUAL and is having a lot of air loss complaints and is ready to stop using EQUAL. What should you recommend he do?
Find out:

1. Is he using an AirX Filtered Valve Core or Valve Stem Filter Extension as well as a metal valve stem cap?
2. Is he using an applicator to install EQUAL?

** OSHA regulations: If a tire has lost more than 20 p.s.i., you are required to break down the tire/rim assembly so that the tire can be examined for punctures, ply separations, etc.

16. EQUAL has not corrected the problem. What's wrong? (There are other elements besides an imbalance in the wheel assembly that can cause vibration.)

* Equal was only put in the steer tires and not the drive tires. Please keep in mind, just as a passenger car has all wheels balanced, the vibration from drive tires can be felt also in the seat or floor and steering wheel.
* Moisture contained in tire cavity; this will cause EQUAL not to perform effectively. Use the Equal Applicator, Valve Stem Filter Extensions & the "Block".
* Excessive wheel and tire runout
* Tires(s) not properly mounted on rim(s)
* Defective Tire(s) - large portions of tread are missing from tire(s)
* Drum Imbalance
* Drive Shaft Imbalance
* Defective U-joints
* Improper Tire Inflation
* Drive Train Misalignment
* Defective Shock or Shock Mounting
* Aluminum or Steel Wheels Covered with Protective Coating or Grease
* Ply Separation or Balance Pad (usually found on "blems")
* Please reference the EQUAL Service Guide.

17. Can I reuse EQUAL after a flat repair?
No, because of product loss.

EQUAL BENEFITS

1. Able to balance the total wheel assembly once for the full tread life of the tire. Equalizes imbalance constantly, regardless of changing "load forces" and other variables. Equal has the ability to adjust to any and all changes of vibration frequency or force variation. Lead weights are stationary on the rim and cannot adapt to changes such as tread wear, variations in radial force and load force. Equal helps prevent alternate lug wear, "cupping" and "flat spotting". Even tread wear patterns mean substantially more miles per tire. Equal prevents vibration which greatly reduces "wear & tear" on the component parts of the wheel assembly, the entire truck and cargo. Substantial savings in labor and time. Cost effective to now balance all 18 tires. Greatly increases your capacity to balance more wheels per day per man. Eliminates the need to buy expensive wheel balancing machines and costly repairs on equipment. All properly trained employees can balance wheel assemblies with this product.

2. EQUAL is a specially compounded polymer totally compatible with the tire and wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-18-2006
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gay-briel
but what tire shops really do that? ive been to many different tire shops and watch them balence a tire, and ive never seen them take the wheel off the balencer and rotate the tire on the rim to match low high spots, and id rather pay 20 bucks for a one time balence then keep going to a tire shop to get it redone
www.butlertire.com

Check out their services. Places do go through that much trouble. Not sure of any places near you, but I know that Butler does in Atlanta.

BTW, I give up. I know what I have seen work and what hasnt worked. To each their own.

As for you, Bill. **** you. I never disrepsected anyone here, just tried to help. No need to act like that.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-18-2006
Flyinfx4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Colora, Maryland
Posts: 716
i think i need to try some of this cause i have had those darn Pro-Comps balanced 4 times now at 2 different shops and none of them can get it right lol.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-18-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3906brad
Yeah and there are sites saying the Tornado works and those 10 dollar Ebay chips.

My support is I have personally NOT seen it work. 2 years of it.

Anybody is going to say anything to sell. Ask them if they have a money back guarentee. If they do, you have nothing to lose cept the install and the removal.
Oh and another thing there is a money back guarentee on the product except on mudders which I dont need my money back cuase it WORKS.

The EQUAL Smooth Ride Guarantee provides a full refund of the product purchase price if the application does not result in a smooth ride. EQUAL Tire Performance must be installed according to manufacturer's recommendations. This guarantee extends to tire and wheel assemblies which are within manufacturer's specifications for radial and lateral runout and vehicles which are within accepted manufacturer's mechanical tolerances. Recommended installation procedures are available in writing from any Certified EQUAL Tire Performance Dealer, or from IMI. If not fully satisfied, contact IMI at 1-800-233-7086.

The EQUAL Smooth Ride Guarantee does not apply to tire sizes not shown on the EQUAL quantity chart (PDF) or to tire sizes categorized as Mudder Tires.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-18-2006
Rand's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Barberton,Ohio
Posts: 1,189
I know when letting air out of my tires a few times it seems like there is ALOT
of moisture in there. Even if its plastic.. I can see moisture making it work less
effective. Equal works best the larger the tire you use(or any interco tire)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-18-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby
eh, bill you wont win. brad said hed bet that it wouldnt show 0's on the balancer, chich i wont....
now, that doesnt prove that the idea or the EQUAL doesnt work, either....
ever notice its not what shows 0 on the balancer but if it dont vibrate on the road. what would you rather have my truck shows 0 on the balancer and vibrates your freaking butt off and sucks or billz shows all over the scale but on the road smoother then crap answer that?
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-18-2006
3906brad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cedar Hill, TX
Posts: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
dude you where going on and on about it and there is PROOF billz freaking truck i have drove the darn thing personally may times it desent vibrate so why argue when its heres a thought WORKS...dur..... personally i have never had a truck dynamic balance smooth ever....it really pisses me off i am planning on trying the crap bill used because i am sick of vibrations on the freeway...
the thing is, this stuff doesnt fix the problem, it only masks it.

Like I was describing before about the egg. I could balance an egg. Any wheel or tire that is out of round can be balanced. This doesnt mean it will roll properly. I linked the other thing before - http://www.roadfly.com/magazine/11/h...neering.1.html 0 - to help people understand that there is more to balancing than just the spinning of the tire.

At Butler, we used to fix all the other shops mistakes. Not all, but we got alot of people that were upset with Goodyear and Pep Boys and such come in and leave happy.

Alot of problems with people that we had was with shops not turning the wheel on the hub, not using the proper sized weights or someone putting in Fix A Flat (that was a big problem) and not all the time, but I would say atleast once or twice a month, these balancing beads.

The quality of the Service really depends on the place you goto. Some places will hire anyone because they cannot keep staff and this is reflected in the quality of the work; Bad balancing.

Its been almost seven years since I have done this stuff, but from what I have learned at Butler, I could run circles around the guys that work at the quick install places.

There are alot of things that go into Balancing than just the tire.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-18-2006
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
I will also agree with Brad on this. i would not trust this crap in my tires for one second. i do work in a tire shop and would also laugh at the first person that had this in their tires and of the thousands of tires that i have worked on, not once have i seen it used.

sorry, but how does real-world driving make it work and a balancer doesn't, i just don't see the logic behind that(feel free to show me, i will listen to it).

i just read the example of the "five pound weight" and it seems to me that this product would only add more weight the the heavy part of the tire.

do you guys really through your tires out of balance that much? i balance my own tires, get them to 0.0, got offroading, and check them again and still have them at 0(though i completely understand when they do not balance a perfect again).
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-18-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
honistly then i will take the egg that bill has like your saying..because damn it ride 100000000x better then my "round" 0 balanced tire.. i will only stop beleaving is anyone which its been to about 8 shops now could ever balance my truck i have YET to see it ever... and its been done by 60 year old guys that know what the hell there doing...still vibrates and no its not my wheels already had that checked...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-18-2006
TheForce02's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 846
Zach, i know that you are pretty good about knowing stuff...

but, might i ask if you have checked your tires out lately and seen if they are smooth or rough? i get vibration in my tires, but that is only because of high/low spots on the inner side of my tires that i let get out of hand before i fixed. a lot of vibration that i notice on peoples cars is due to high/low spots

just wondering if this might help you out in the vibration department
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-18-2006
04lvl2's Avatar
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Palm Bay, FL
Posts: 5,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForce02
I will also agree with Brad on this. i would not trust this crap in my tires for one second. i do work in a tire shop and would also laugh at the first person that had this in their tires and of the thousands of tires that i have worked on, not once have i seen it used.

sorry, but how does real-world driving make it work and a balancer doesn't, i just don't see the logic behind that(feel free to show me, i will listen to it).

i just read the example of the "five pound weight" and it seems to me that this product would only add more weight the the heavy part of the tire.

do you guys really through your tires out of balance that much? i balance my own tires, get them to 0.0, got offroading, and check them again and still have them at 0(though i completely understand when they do not balance a perfect again).
Has anyone bothered to look at the website yet?

http://imiproducts.com/equal/how-equal-works.aspx
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-18-2006
gumby's Avatar
Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: indy
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForce02
i just read the example of the "five pound weight" and it seems to me that this product would only add more weight the the heavy part of the tire.
well then you dont understand the laws of physics involved.
read the EQUAL site and the roadfly site for more info.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-18-2006
Level III Supporter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: usa
Posts: 24,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheForce02
Zach, i know that you are pretty good about knowing stuff...

but, might i ask if you have checked your tires out lately and seen if they are smooth or rough? i get vibration in my tires, but that is only because of high/low spots on the inner side of my tires that i let get out of hand before i fixed. a lot of vibration that i notice on peoples cars is due to high/low spots

just wondering if this might help you out in the vibration department
nopper...i used to work at a dealer i know what your talking about. i check my tires constantly all i want is to beable to balance my own tires being i dont have a tire balancer i have to deal with these morons now. i never once had a problem balancing my own tires at the dealer. all i have to say i want to kill 90% of the people that work at tire stores.... .....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much Airsoft? Nfuriate Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 7 11-14-2007 06:46 PM
Anothe question (equal for balancing) jrpro130 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 31 06-06-2006 11:17 PM
balancing tires.......LOOK HERE!!!!! lifted97ranger General Ford Ranger Discussion 22 03-27-2006 06:22 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.