Boggers or M/T's???? 4.88's or 5.13's???? - Page 2 - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

View Poll Results: Boggers or M/T's, 4.88's or 5.13's (please vote for either 1 or 2, 3 or 4)
Super Swamper Boggers in 37x13R15 33 62.26%
Super Swamper TrXus Mud Terrains in 37x12.5R15 22 41.51%
4.88's 16 30.19%
5.13's 36 67.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #26  
Old 10-25-2006
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
dude go for the boggers. i think they will be way better for that florida mud and clay.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodsm
Boggers are pretty nasty looking tires but what I am thinking is one, it's a 2wd and that's a lot of weight and alot of tire for a truck that is only spinning the back wheels.

I would personally get the M/Ts and the 5.13's (I have owned a couple of mod motored mustangs and I don't fear the gear lol). Now I have nothing against 2wd trucks lifted a rocking serious mud tires, I just don't see the point in a competition mudder on something that can only use half of them plus with a 3 liter, it's going to be working it's butt off the turn them in the muck.
I hear ya man! It's not going to be 2wd for much longer though. I'm being a copy cat off of some people and doing SAS. I should be ready in a year at the most. I got a couple people lined up that are out of some good welding schools, a couple friends from UTI, they know what they are doing and need a truck to work on. I should have a D44 under there soon. Nothing special, just a SAS, switch out my tranny, throw in a tcase, change driveshafts, etc, and make it a 4x4.

As for right now, if I get boggers, I'll get 5.13's, no doubt. It'll spin the crap outta them. RyanRebbel has 5.13's and almost 39's and he spins em like nothin!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-25-2006
slodsm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville NC
Posts: 291
Ah, I see. Then that throws a whole new light on the subject. I think I would consider the bogger, BUT I really think it will be more versatile with the M/T on there becuase it won't dig as much keeping it on top of the muck more and that is why a small truck has such and advantage over a larger truck (full size, maybe F250ish) is that it won't sink as easy. It can rip over the top instead of having to dig to the bottom for traction.


Just my .02 though, I am not a pro mudder lol, I am a drag racer who has a 4x4 dd.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-25-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodsm

Just my .02 though, I am not a pro mudder lol, I am a drag racer who has a 4x4 dd.
Haha, thats pretty funny.

I dunno, I just like boggers...they seem to perform crazy offroad...

We'll see, only time will tell





I still have to get this damn body lift on, I have an axle that should be shipped soon, a hitch too...it's craziness.



And now I'm trying to decide weather to run glass or not...I'm still undecided.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-25-2006
slodsm's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Jacksonville NC
Posts: 291
They do look good, I have a friend with a mid 80 Chevy 3/4 ton with 44's and a 5xx inch big block. It's a sick ride but it's pretty much purpose built to mud. It rarely sees the highway and when it does, it's a bit of a wild ride, even with a crossover steering setup and a nice suspension.

I love the look of a bogger but the side traction and a few other things people mentioned in here that know a lot more than me said and they made sense.

In the end, we are just the internet and you are going to do what YOU prefer with it. And I think either way, it's going to be pretty pimp.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-25-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodsm
They do look good, I have a friend with a mid 80 Chevy 3/4 ton with 44's and a 5xx inch big block. It's a sick ride but it's pretty much purpose built to mud. It rarely sees the highway and when it does, it's a bit of a wild ride, even with a crossover steering setup and a nice suspension.

I love the look of a bogger but the side traction and a few other things people mentioned in here that know a lot more than me said and they made sense.

In the end, we are just the internet and you are going to do what YOU prefer with it. And I think either way, it's going to be pretty pimp.
Sounds like a nice truck!!!

I want to get a trail beater eventually..it'll save me a lot of money!



You guys are just the internet, but some aren't, I've met quite a few people that have helped me out and went offroading with me. We'll see...truck should look ok when she's done

I think i'm pretty set on the boggers...fl mud is pretty nasty
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-25-2006
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpro130
My steel wheels took 19oz on the worst, 15 on the best one.

My alum took 11 on the worst 6 on the best...6 is a TON of weight for a 33" at...on an aluminum rim.

wow man where the hell are you getting them things balanced? ive never had to put over 5-6 oz.s on a 33" bfg on aluminums. and 19 on the steel wheels is f'in crazy as well, wow.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-25-2006
dixieranger44
Unregistered User
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted97ranger
i dont like boggers because they have no side grip...
are you serious? they have plenty sidewall tread.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-26-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
wow man where the hell are you getting them things balanced? ive never had to put over 5-6 oz.s on a 33" bfg on aluminums. and 19 on the steel wheels is f'in crazy as well, wow.
That was on a brand new Hunter Road Force...11 oz on the worst one. The tire was shaking like an egg on the balancer. It's something wrong with the tire, that same one took 19 on my old rim.

6 isn't bad though...that tire is pretty much perfect.

The others took 7 oz and 9 oz...thats not terrible I think???


Anyways, they ride perfect, so I dont' care what they put on it!!!!!!!!






My steel wheels were very hard to balance. I went to a very reputable 4x4 shop that was an hour away, they still couldn't get it right. And they balance out 40" boggers all day.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-26-2006
SuperSonicFX4's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 301
I love my boggers and not sure I would've find a better all around off-road only tire. Yes the bfg crawlers are the best rock tire and do really well all around too but for ~300 buck each i'll go bogger.
I don't have my balanced so the on road is bad real bad. But you can get around. I wouldn't think of taking a road trip in them and thats was I still have my bfg a/t's.

One other thing, this babies like to dig to china and can get you in more trouble. I let me brother drive my truck and he got to the top of a sand hill and buried it to the frame, couldn't go forward or backwards. So being 2wd make sure and stop before you bury it to the axles.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-26-2006
telemaster1952's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dover, Deleware
Posts: 3,481
like i said, what about the mickey thompson baja claw or the Super swamper
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-26-2006
lifted97ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Charlestown, IN
Posts: 1
what about the Mickey Thompson MTZ? they are really agressive, wear super, and are cheaper than the Swampers...
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-26-2006
redranger4.0's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Firey depths
Posts: 15
i say go for the trxus and 4.88. boggers are made for horsepower, which in this case you dont have
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-26-2006
SHOman86's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Lakeland, Fl
Posts: 2,469
i would go with boggers and 5.13s man. lemme know if ya need any help when im down in WP i will come help ya
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-26-2006
ranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Imperial Beach, CA
Posts: 4,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrebel125
ive had 3 sets of boggers on my ranger. get boggers. there fine on the street. and now since u got aluminum wheels, u can get them balenced. sears balenced mine perfect.

this guy knows what he is talking about.

i say go with the 5.13's in your new 8.8
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-26-2006
j18willis's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: seattle,wa
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by slodsm
Boggers are pretty nasty looking tires but what I am thinking is one, it's a 2wd and that's a lot of weight and alot of tire for a truck that is only spinning the back wheels.

I would personally get the M/Ts and the 5.13's (I have owned a couple of mod motored mustangs and I don't fear the gear lol). Now I have nothing against 2wd trucks lifted a rocking serious mud tires, I just don't see the point in a competition mudder on something that can only use half of them plus with a 3 liter, it's going to be working it's butt off the turn them in the muck.

Im with this guy...


Dude i know its your truck and all but dont ruin an already good looking DD truck..Buy some beater f150 or something and THEN put ur boggers and 5.13's in.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-26-2006
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckstone
you confuse the hell out of me... you ditched your steel wheels for alum because you hated the vibration...1) mudders vibrate like mad... 2) anything INTERCO is a ***** to balance. Grants Trxus M/T all have over 10 oz of weight just to get them normal...and by normal i mean they still vibrate but are managable
I have those and the black steelies. They are a B*tch to balance sometimes. 3 of mine were perfect but 1 was different because my 1 steelie was bent. I love the M/Ts though and recommend them a ton. Like them better than my old BFG A/Ts. But that's me.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 10-26-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: crystal river,fl
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonicFX4
I love my boggers and not sure I would've find a better all around off-road only tire. Yes the bfg crawlers are the best rock tire and do really well all around too but for ~300 buck each i'll go bogger.
I don't have my balanced so the on road is bad real bad. But you can get around. I wouldn't think of taking a road trip in them and thats was I still have my bfg a/t's.

One other thing, this babies like to dig to china and can get you in more trouble. I let me brother drive my truck and he got to the top of a sand hill and buried it to the frame, couldn't go forward or backwards. So being 2wd make sure and stop before you bury it to the axles.
yes boggers do dig real fast. the smaller the bogger is the fast u get burried. my 38.5 dont do to bad.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 10-26-2006
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: crystal river,fl
Posts: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger
this guy knows what he is talking about.

i say go with the 5.13's in your new 8.8
yeah people can say what they want. but if u havnt ran them then really dont know what there all about.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 10-26-2006
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
internet experts fo life!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 10-26-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Thats why I'm listening to ryan, he's got a built truck. He ran 3 sets of boggers.

5.13's and boggers is what it looks like right now. It's gonna be a little while though...I need to start saving some more money. I got half of it...just not all of it...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 10-26-2006
99XLTOffroad's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, PA
Posts: 505
I'm on my secong set of TrXuS M/Ts and don't think i'd ever get another brand of tire
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 10-26-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99XLTOffroad
I'm on my secong set of TrXuS M/Ts and don't think i'd ever get another brand of tire
I really want em!! The only way I'm getting the M/T's is if I get em off Levino...otherwise I'm getting the boggers.


For the conditions we have in south fla...it's stupid not to get boggers. And they look incredibly badass too

I can't count the number of nice looking "show" trucks that run boggers just b/c of the look. I'm a guy who is function over form though...
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 10-29-2006
got-dirty's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sliding in the skreets
Posts: 3,829
...

Last edited by got-dirty; 11-02-2006 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 10-29-2006
jrpro130's Avatar
RF Veteran
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by got-dirty
i thought i posted earlier, but i guess not. i can get you the 37s for 226 a piece, if i remember right.
WOW!!! Are you serious?

What about MT/R's...cuz I am kinda thinking about them! I'll be up your way the 18th and 19th. I have to see about the cash though.


I"m still trying to decide on tires...I'm pretty set on the MT/R though...I still have my truck as a DD, and until I SAS it, It will probably not make TOO much of a difference having boggers...I dunno though.

Plus the miles thing, I drive on road a lot, and I don't want to wear out boggers in 20k miles, wheras I could get 40k out of MT/R's, and they are cheaper...we'll see.

But PM me if you will, I'm interested on that MT/R price and the trxus mt price. I really like the trxus mt...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
D44 with Boggers EXPLAINED! Rooks Drivetrain Tech 20 11-09-2006 04:03 PM
D44 with 40" Boggers Rooks Drivetrain Tech 50 11-06-2006 10:47 PM
54" Super Swamper Boggers!!!! Roach2004 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 26 10-19-2006 10:36 PM
besides boggers what are the best mud tires Ranger1 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 37 08-26-2006 06:09 PM
Cheapest Place To Buy Boggers? Roach2004 Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 14 02-26-2006 09:36 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:47 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.