Good Year MT/R - Ranger-Forums - The Ultimate Ford Ranger Resource


Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech General discussion of wheels and tires for the Ford Ranger.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-22-2008
Rescue's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 213
Good Year MT/R

just looking for anyones who might owns these opinions


how loud are they

are they sipped?

compared to a BFG A/T ?

anything else helpful
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-22-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
What do you want to do with them? Daily driver? Trail rig? How much driving do you do on the street? My trail rig (that will sometimes see pavement) will probably get MTRs in a 37" size... but I love my BFG ATs for street driving!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
MT/Rs are the best mix of street and offroad tire available IMO. Ive had more than 3 sets and theyve always lasted well and werent too loud.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-22-2008
Roddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,332
^^^ interesting, after seeing how my Goodyear RT/S's suck, i'm leary of buying any truck tires from Goodyear..

I'm interested to hear others opinions
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-22-2008
TireIron's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Methuen, MA
Posts: 790
They are EXTREMELY loud compared to a BFG A/T, they're not sipped, they're actually not very good on the street if you have a good amount of wet roads or ice and snow a lot of the time. If you live in a dry climate they're fine, but kind of loud. Oh and then there's the fact that they're made by goodyear...

and for anybody doubting I ran a set of these for about 15K miles before I gave them away because I couldn't stand them. The interco trxus MTs on my GIRLFRIENDS ranger are SSOOOO much better. They are virtually silent, balance just as well as the MTRs, are sipped, handle the snow, ice, and rain incredibly well, and are just amazing offroad. Even after 25K miles on them they have plenty of tread, are wearing normal and straight, and are still perfectly comfortable on long highway roadtrips at 80MPH.

As for the BFG A/Ts I've gone through 2 sets of them on my truck, the first I got about 80K miles out of and this set I have 47K miles on them and I bought them used and they still have plenty of tread left to probably go to 70K miles when I will buy another set of them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
MT/Rs are the best mix of street and offroad tire available IMO. Ive had more than 3 sets and theyve always lasted well and werent too loud.
ive had 2 sets, loved every minute of them. i wish they were not so pricey for 37s or 40s
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2008
zabeard's Avatar
who?
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: IN
Posts: 26,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireIron View Post
They are EXTREMELY loud compared to a BFG A/T, they're not sipped, they're actually not very good on the street if you have a good amount of wet roads or ice and snow a lot of the time. If you live in a dry climate they're fine, but kind of loud. Oh and then there's the fact that they're made by goodyear...

and for anybody doubting I ran a set of these for about 15K miles before I gave them away because I couldn't stand them. The interco trxus MTs on my GIRLFRIENDS ranger are SSOOOO much better. They are virtually silent, balance just as well as the MTRs, are sipped, handle the snow, ice, and rain incredibly well, and are just amazing offroad. Even after 25K miles on them they have plenty of tread, are wearing normal and straight, and are still perfectly comfortable on long highway roadtrips at 80MPH.

As for the BFG A/Ts I've gone through 2 sets of them on my truck, the first I got about 80K miles out of and this set I have 47K miles on them and I bought them used and they still have plenty of tread left to probably go to 70K miles when I will buy another set of them.
they are loud, but for what they are i strongly disagree with you. they work great in the rain, snow, and really not that bad in the ice for what they are.

find another NON sipped tire and compare them, i think they will be found the best.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-22-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
they are loud, but for what they are i strongly disagree with you. they work great in the rain, snow, and really not that bad in the ice for what they are.

find another NON sipped tire and compare them, i think they will be found the best.
Im with zach, youre full of shiza. My current 35s are siped, its a little extra for you but of course for me siping is free

they are great tires, and if the were loud you had an alignment problem and didnt rotate them or something along those lines. 34 inch bias ply LTBs, now THOSE are loud. like, you cant talk on the highway loud.

Like I said again, Ive had three set of new MT/Rs and a set of used. they all drove asphalt flawlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-23-2008
Roddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Im with zach, youre full of shiza. .
Way to be a total J.A
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-23-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
That's just Gil... he don't mean it =P
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
That's just Gil... he don't mean it =P


kyle when are YOU comin to CO? didnt you say you come every once in a while?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-23-2008
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by zabeard View Post
they are loud, but for what they are i strongly disagree with you. they work great in the rain, snow, and really not that bad in the ice for what they are.

find another NON sipped tire and compare them, i think they will be found the best.
i'm with zach on this one.

i've got a set that i ran for awhile and still keep for spares.

i <3 my kumho kl71's but wouldn't flinch for a second to grab one of my MT/R's to throw on for a minute.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
That's just Gil... he don't mean it =P
yeah he did

chill out newb
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en View Post
i'm with zach on this one.

i've got a set that i ran for awhile and still keep for spares.

i <3 my kumho kl71's but wouldn't flinch for a second to grab one of my MT/R's to throw on for a minute.




yeah he did

chill out newb
dont I owe you money?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-23-2008
l2en's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 4,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
dont I owe you money?
or services
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-23-2008
TurboRangerFreak's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lake Orion, MI
Posts: 21
i work for goodyear. the mt/r's are great tires. not to bad on noise. rt/s tires suck they are gettin rid of them because of it. go to a at/s or sr-a
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2en View Post
or services
lol, what do you want!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2008
Fx4wannabe01's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (23)
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Boring, Oregon
Posts: 21,721
MT/R's effin' tear it up in snow! Mine will be on here in a few short days....


You are wanting a comparison of Goodyear MT/R's vs. BFG All Terrain Ko's?? Those are two completely different tires.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
BFg T/A kos are severe weather rated, so obviously they will do better in snow, but the voids are small and dont self clean very well so you will lose a lot of hook up in the dirt.

but shane is right they are very different in purpose.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2008
04blackedge's Avatar
RF Veteran
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 23,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx4wannabe01 View Post
MT/R's effin' tear it up in snow! Mine will be on here in a few short days....


You are wanting a comparison of Goodyear MT/R's vs. BFG All Terrain Ko's?? Those are two completely different tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
BFg T/A kos are severe weather rated, so obviously they will do better in snow, but the voids are small and dont self clean very well so you will lose a lot of hook up in the dirt.

but shane is right they are very different in purpose.
Very true on both accounts, comparing those tires is like comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare a AT and MT lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


kyle when are YOU comin to CO? didnt you say you come every once in a while?
Yes but not often enough! I used to head up there for summer camps and stuff, but since college started I've been pretty short on time and cash!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
Yes but not often enough! I used to head up there for summer camps and stuff, but since college started I've been pretty short on time and cash!
dont you have a sammy now? bring it up, we'll get that bad boy built up real nice like!! I ve been driving a sammy on the trail lately...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mall crawlin usa
Posts: 15
.

Last edited by nobody; 05-27-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2008
RF Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 5,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
dont you have a sammy now? bring it up, we'll get that bad boy built up real nice like!! I ve been driving a sammy on the trail lately...
Yeah but it doesn't run, drive, or stop right now. It's got no motor, trans, or brake master cylinder because I'm in the middle of upgrading. I've got a 1.6L fuel injected motor and new trans to go in, and i'll be building myself a doubler here before too long as well. Can't wait for summer when I have some time to do stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2008
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: PUEBLO, CO
Posts: 3,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead61 View Post
Yeah but it doesn't run, drive, or stop right now. It's got no motor, trans, or brake master cylinder because I'm in the middle of upgrading. I've got a 1.6L fuel injected motor and new trans to go in, and i'll be building myself a doubler here before too long as well. Can't wait for summer when I have some time to do stuff!
my buddy built his own adapter for a d300. and the sammy I have been drivin has 6:1s with 5.89s (dana44s though)...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-23-2008
Rescue's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Posts: 213
so if i got them getting them sipped would be a good idea.......and how much does that cost roughly to sip tires........

i drive about 120km per day all highway.......
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General year by year 4x4 question LurkerDan General Technical & Electrical 11 03-15-2010 07:34 PM
Good Year DuraTrac outdoorsman Wheels & Tires Semi-Tech 14 02-25-2009 11:29 PM
Truck of the month/year, member of the month/year... TheBearJeweler Ranger-Forums Office 34 01-16-2009 03:45 PM
Door from year to year eblank8 Exterior Semi-Tech 3 03-31-2008 09:01 AM
Not such a good new year f2b General Ford Ranger Discussion 15 01-03-2005 11:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:22 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.